My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

ITV Player Picture Quality

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Hi everyone

I bought my HDR-1000S about 5 weeks ago, and am very happy with it. For the first time last night, I used ITV Player, but the picture quality was terrible. It reminded me of some old the VHS tapes that I used to own, some of which were films that were a copies, of a copy, of a copy!

Is it normal to have such poor quality on ITV player? BBC i Player is fine.

My HDR-1000S is connected to my router by Ethernet cable, with a speed of about 19Mbps, which way above the requirement.

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 8:54:34 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

That's as good as it gets with ITVPlayer as they're still using the old outdated MHEG version.
    Apparently ITV are working on a new player, but who knows when we may see that.

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 9:47:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Thanks Gonzo...I'll have to remember to record my ITV programme in HD then!

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 13:13:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

What is strange...I have just watched the same programme, on my iPad version of ITV Player, and the picture is very good. Is that a different version to the one on freetime?

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 18:25:05 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ranger176 - 43 minutes ago  » 
    What is strange...I have just watched the same programme, on my iPad version of ITV Player, and the picture is very good. Is that a different version to the one on freetime?

Not sure but the ipad has a tiny screen. The artefacts you see on larger TV display are so much smaller. I don't have an Ipad but if it's similar to an Android tablet, connect or cast the display to your TV. Does it still look better ?

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 19:11:02 #5 |
  6. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Ranger176 - 1 hour ago  » 

Go to one of the SD channels like movies4men (as that's one of the worst in the PQ department) and press Guide, now that same SD channel looks amazing in that little box doesn't it

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 19:52:36 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

I've been using ITV Player over the last few days and the picture looks so much better than it was the last time used it. When I used it before it was really pixelated on the program's I saw, but looking at program's now it all looks fine.
    So as far a PQ goes, there's no complaints from me.

| Sat 23 Aug 2014 18:52:39 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

It's time to come clean! The programme I viewed was Coronation Street! Normally I watch it in HD, however most SD channels on Freesat are pretty good. Coronation Street was really fuzzy.

I have just tried it again, a different programme this time...The adverts are really very sharp, but the actual programme is fuzzy. If the scene is fast moving, it's a bit blurred in places. Just gave iPlayer ago, and that's ok.

| Sat 23 Aug 2014 21:05:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Update...I paused a programme on ITVPlayer and after a couple of seconds a pop up appeared, telling me that it detected a slow internet connection? My connection speed is between 18 and 19 Mbps, which is, as far as I am aware, more than enough to cope with On Demand.

| Sat 23 Aug 2014 21:14:32 #9 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Ranger176 - 12 hours ago  » 
    It's time to come clean! The programme I viewed was Coronation Street! Normally I watch it in HD, however most SD channels on Freesat are pretty good. Coronation Street was really fuzzy.
    I have just tried it again, a different programme this time...The adverts are really very sharp, but the actual programme is fuzzy. If the scene is fast moving, it's a bit blurred in places. Just gave iPlayer ago, and that's ok.

Ok, I've just tried Coronation Street and yes the PQ is really poor quality.
    I watched a couple of episodes of Judge Rinder and that was very good PQ indeed.

| Sun 24 Aug 2014 10:01:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.