My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Loop through update?

(70 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Victor Delta - 5 minutes ago  » 
    But surely the ever growing number of integrated Freeview TVs also require OTA updates...?

Why? The Freeview specs aren't changing. Once the bugs are sorted out in a TV manufacturer's platform, they're not likely to need further updates.

| Sat 19 Jul 2014 21:06:39 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

You have more faith in software than I do.

| Sat 19 Jul 2014 23:12:34 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Victor Delta - 1 hour ago  » 
    You have more faith in software than I do.

I write software for a living, I know how buggy it often is. I was just trying to suggest why there are so few updates as you have spotted.

My TV is about 8 years old. I've never updated the software in it, and I'm not sure if Sony have ever issued any. It still receives Freeview SD.

Unless protocols change, existing bugs generally remain dormant. It's only when something new arrives that they're supposed to be able to handle that you find out they don't. If the way the broadcasters use Freeview remains the same then the exposed bug rate will be low.

For example, when Freeview HD started switching between 50i and 25p, the sound on some Sony TVs glitched on the transition. Sony had to issue a software update. If the change to the broadcasts hadn't happened, the bug would have remained dormant. Another example was the introduction of a second HD mux, some set top boxes couldn't handle that.

The rate of change in how Freeview is broadcast is slowing down, and the rate of newly exposed bugs has gone down with it. There are still bugs, but they are ones that don't get triggered.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 1:12:09 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Many thanks for that. So the DTG website probably does still work, but there are very few updates to show now.

Le's hope the Humax one we are all waiting for comes along soon.

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 8:23:07 #14 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The DTG website definitely still works. It was only a couple of months ago that an update for the HDR-FOX T2 was distributed over the air. Humax don't seem keen on providing downloadable copies of their software these days, so the update the HDR-2000T is aching for will almost certainly be OTA and will be preannounced on the DTG website. When an update is confirmed, Barry will probably give us a heads-up on this website.
    Does anyone have a HDR-1800T yet? I wonder if RF loopthrough is enabled on the units that are shipping now?

| Sun 20 Jul 2014 10:38:45 #15 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

MontysEvilTwin - 23 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone have a HDR-1800T yet? I wonder if RF loopthrough is enabled on the units that are shipping now?

I do

Yes loopthru works and is enabled with power saving in standby off.

| Mon 21 Jul 2014 9:53:13 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have to wonder given the amount of time this issue has been outstanding whether Humax are able to implement a fix? There can be no excuse for leaving consumers in the lurch like this. I have removed the 2000T from my current wish list until this problem is resolved.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 16:58:40 #17 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I've already stated in post #2 that a fix has been engineered for the 2000T, however, as always, the engineers have been looking at 'other stuff' as well.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 17:24:24 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've already stated in post #2 that a fix has been engineered for the 2000T, however, as always, the engineers have been looking at 'other stuff' as well.

Maybe an explanation as to how this fundamental flaw got through in the first place would be welcome.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 18:47:58 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Given the seriousness of this fault for the way most homes have their TV set up, it beggars belief that Humax are being so tardy in releasing a fix. This is absolutely vital functionality, and lack of it is almost certainly losing Humax sales and resulting in returns for a refund. Every household I know, every single one, has a setup that expects RF loop through to work. It's only off by default to meet EU 0.5W standby regulations, which is pointless since everyone turns on RF passthrough. If 0.5W is the mandatory standby current, then it needs to be met with RF passthrough enabled (which would remove it as an option, and good riddance since everyone turns it on).

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 19:12:32 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.