My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Loop through update?

(70 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Just so I know when the update is eventually released, if you use the 'Automatic Update' facility on the HDR 2000T, does it only search for OTA updates or does it also look for updates available via the web (assuming you have an internet connection)?

I hope it is the latter but fear it may only be the former!

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 19:31:56 #31 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

While I don't know about Humax's procedures - it would be normal for software "signed off for release" to be released for Manufacturing ASAP while the distribution for the higher cost and more error prone route to wait for, dare I say it, a more "appropriate" time, which may be soon or not.

This recognises there are support complications with each release and it's application.

However I do wish Humax would again make available such "releases" on one of their websites.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 20:27:09 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Indeed. OTA updates have costs associated with them, but a web site release does not (or at least minimal in comparison). It's a great shame Humax have stopped doing web site releases for update over USB. Not only are they more timely than over the air, I find USB updates a lot my convenient. Over the air takes hours, compared to a couple of minutes by USB.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:57:17 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Victor Delta - 2 hours ago  » 
    Just so I know when the update is eventually released, if you use the 'Automatic Update' facility on the HDR 2000T, does it only search for OTA updates or does it also look for updates available via the web (assuming you have an internet connection)?

As the HDR-FOX T2's Automatic Update is only via the aerial when the update is being transmitted it is highly likely that the 2000T is the same especially when other similarities between the two models are taken into account.

Victor Delta - 2 hours ago  » 
    I hope it is the latter but fear it may only be the former!

What is there to fear? Humax have an excellent track record of repeating broadcasts of released versions for many months and sometimes longer.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 21:59:53 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Humax also have an excellent track record of taking nearly a year to issue a software update in the first place. It took about 4 months to get a BBC3/4 HD recording fix for the HDR Fox T2 after COM7 started broadcasting. We're still waiting for that same software 1.03.12 for the HD Fox T2, about 8 months after the problem was first reported. We've been waiting nearly as long for the aerial pass through fix for the HDR 2000T.

I am starting to think the HDR Fox T2 and HD Fox T2 are the only Humax products I will ever buy. The newer models don't have the features I want, and the software support started poor and has got much worse over time.

| Tue 5 Aug 2014 22:24:39 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Do we think this loop through update is ever going to happen now or is it simply rumour and the likes of Humax CS putting a positive spin on matters in an effort to prevent customer alienation?

Is it even technically feasible?

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 23:11:48 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

Faust - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Do we think this loop through update is ever going to happen now or is it simply rumour and the likes of Humax CS putting a positive spin on matters in an effort to prevent customer alienation?

No one really knows. We will only ever have a clear answer if/when an update is delivered onto customer boxes. If it never appears then we will never really know, people have to decide for themselves when to give up waiting and assume it's never going to appear.

| Thu 28 Aug 2014 23:56:57 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Barry says it is technically feasible and has a pre-release version of the software working so personally I believe it is technically feasible. As for why Humax have chosen not to release it, I have no idea.

| Fri 29 Aug 2014 0:37:18 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 days ago  » 

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Barry says it is technically feasible and has a pre-release version of the software working so personally I believe it is technically feasible. As for why Humax have chosen not to release it, I have no idea.

Fortunately my trusty old Panasonic DVDR is still hanging in there so I don't need to do anything currently. However, if the Panny does fail and this loop through issue hasn't been addressed, then I will look elsewhere.
    I'm not prepared to go down the route of trusting that it may/will be done.

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 9:12:32 #39 |
  10. michaelangelo

michaelangelo

I've been musing over buying a 2000T, but the loopthru problem has been putting me off.

What I find strange is that on visiting PCW to look at the unit, all their branches in my area only had the display unit in stock. Either the 2000T's have been selling exceptionally well or do PCW know something the public dont know about the machine.

Maybe they are just keeping their inventory low,but who wants to buy display stock at full price!

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 11:32:08 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.