My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Loop through update?

(70 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

It recently had another good review in Which?, which may explain the low stock levels.

| Sun 31 Aug 2014 17:47:26 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SF54

Is this update ever going to happen or is it just vapourware? It is now 4 months since it was claimed that the solution had been engineered and was awaiting roll-out.

| Tue 23 Sep 2014 11:26:35 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

SF54 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Is this update ever going to happen or is it just vapourware? It is now 4 months since it was claimed that the solution had been engineered and was awaiting roll-out.

This is par for the course with Humax support. My approach is to assume there will never be any updates from Humax, and on the odd occasions when one does appear it's a bonus. Base your buying decisions on the software that is in the field today, not on an update which might not ever appear.

| Tue 23 Sep 2014 13:27:52 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Owen Smith - 2 hours ago  » 

...Base your buying decisions on the software that is in the field today, not on an update which might not ever appear.

Yes agreed. This is definitely my position for any future Humax purchases, if any.

| Tue 23 Sep 2014 16:11:38 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I would second what Pollensa has to say. Whilst in the main they do make good PVR's whatever is wrong to start with tends to stay that way.

I was looking to buy the 2000T as a new Freeview recording source. However, given the lack of loop through and promises of jam tomorrow I have now taken it off my list.

I suspect I will buy another Panasonic.

We were given assurances that the 1000s would be upgraded with DLNA server capabilities. However, 12 months on and it's still just a client. That's told me what I needed to know for future purchases.

| Sat 27 Sep 2014 16:05:54 #45 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

Is the current lack of loop through Really such a problem? I haven't used loop through on any of my boxes for years, each one has a separate aerial feed from an 8-way distribution box.

| Sun 28 Sep 2014 18:35:17 #46 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

brian - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Is the current lack of loop through Really such a problem? I haven't used loop through on any of my boxes for years, each one has a separate aerial feed from an 8-way distribution box.

Seconded and you can save money as well. You have 1 amplifier that serves everything and likely uses the same amount of extra power every box you have that does not use low power sby. The amp uses approx 2-3W. If you have 8 boxes each of which uses say an extra 2W by having to disable low power sby.

That's an extra 14W of sby power.

At say 16hrs a day, that equates to 16 * 365 * 14 Watt/hrs every year. (81760 Watt/Hrs or approx 82 units/annum. That's costing around £16.00/year depending on your tariff (and it will get larger).

| Sun 28 Sep 2014 19:08:28 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Well if we're comparing amplifiers mine is a 12 way, but I still only have one feed to each room. So, yes, pass-thru is really important for me (and most users).

| Sun 28 Sep 2014 19:26:21 #48 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 41 minutes ago  » 
    Well if we're comparing amplifiers mine is a 12 way, but I still only have one feed to each room. So, yes, pass-thru is really important for me (and most users).

If you can't use a passive splitter at each location, your signal must be right on the edge of being acceptable. If you could watch the channels pre-dso then it's certain you can post dso use a passive splitter.

Pass through adds a tiny amount of extra gain basically designed to recover the insertion loss of the box, but does boost the signal by a small amount over and above what is required. In most cases it's not required and indeed if the signal is strong can cause tuner overload issues. I know of cases where multiple boxes are chained you have to actually add signal attenuation (Which is rather daft).

I have a single feed to my lounge, it's fed from a log 40 in the loft 30mls from a relatively high powered relay (Lark Stoke). It has a 4 way masthead amp with one of the outputs fed to the lounge. Signal strength in the lounge is about 60% but 100% quality. It feeds two HDR FOx T2's and my TV tuner (which I rarely use). None of the PVRs have low power standby enabled all of them are fed by a single passive splitter. Signal quality on all is 100% and reception is perfect.

I think the issue is analogue syndrome complex , Digital quality is not affected by signal level only the ability to distinguish between zeros and 1's. If it works it works 100%. Analogue is entirely different, as the signal strength declines so does the picture (gradually getting more and more grainy)

Have you actually tried using a passive splitter arrangement ?

I recommend anyone to read this thread.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html

The only time anyone should need loopthrough is when the box includes a rf modulator. No modern pvrs have this capability except Sky Boxes (and you have to add extra kit on the latest boxes).

| Sun 28 Sep 2014 20:09:47 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Congratulations on the robust, and certainly interesting, defence of the deficiencies of the Humax 2000. Which leads to the question of why did Humax include pass-thru in the 1800. In any event, I'm not interested in buying additional add-ons necessary to provide a basic facility which is an expected part of the product. Two years of the 1000S has made me wary.

| Sun 28 Sep 2014 22:13:09 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.