My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Losing end of recordings

(49 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Several times recently I have started watching a film or programme and decided to record it rather than stay up and see the end. I press the red button on the remote and go to bed. When I play the recording back the end is missing. I have got recording padding set to 10mins. This should be plenty and this works when I select a future programme from the EPG. The only time this doesn't work is when I record two programmes on the same channel back-to-back. The first one finishes about 10mins before the end, so I have to switch to the second recording to watch the end of the first, usually with a gap of what seems like a minute or two as the scene has often changed.

A major function of a PVR is to record stuff, but this Humax seems to fail at this basic task!

| Wed 4 Jun 2014 17:43:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Afaik padding doesn't apply to instant recordings. The box relies on the broadcaster correctly changing the now next flag to signal the programme has completed. I would turn off padding all together. It's very rare to get recording issues with padding turned off at least on the major channels.

| Wed 4 Jun 2014 19:51:31 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

wiggers - 4 hours ago  » 
    Several times recently I have started watching a film or programme and decided to record it rather than stay up and see the end. I press the red button on the remote and go to bed. When I play the recording back the end is missing.

On the 9xx0 machines you can press the record button a second time and this allows you to adjust the end time of the instant recording in 10 minute intervals, try it or check the instruction manual for your machine. Also there is no Accurate Recording control for instant recordings on the 9xx0 machines, maybe it's the same on yours.

| Wed 4 Jun 2014 22:30:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

All I want the Humax to do is record programmes, from beginning to end. How hard can it be? Why should I have to fiddle with extending the end-time or play with padding to achieve this simple task? I was watching something I recorded last year, before the recent software updates, that were broadcast as double-bills. Perfect, beginning to end of both episodes. It seems it is the latest software has broken this feature.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 9:18:24 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

The software's not broken, recordings are totally reliant on the Broadcasters getting it right their end.
    When Accurate Recording isn't being used like during a single instant recording it will record within the EPGs allocated time slot, but if for whatever reason the program falls outside of that time slot then as far as the box in concerned its done what it's supposed to.
    Accurate Recording works very well, but again is totally reliant on the broadcasters getting things right.
    With regards to the consecutive recordings issue I gather you've also got pre padding set to 10mins also?
    I always use Accurate Recording myself which apart from the odd hick up from the broadcaster (which isn't that often) it works flawlessly, but then my main recordings currently are on BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, ITV & 4OD.

Talking of the broadcaster getting it wrong, I noticed that the BBC gave Weather View on BBC1HD Scotland the same series CRID as this past Tuesdays Holby City on the standard BBC1HD which left me puzzled for a moment as to why it looked like I had 2 episodes of Weather View recorded until I found it was added to the Holby episodes.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:01:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Pre-padding is set to 'Auto', whatever that means, and post-padding is at 10mins. Why isn't this setting used for instant recording? That seems to be a major failing. You think you have made a user choice, but then find it only applies in certain instances. That is 'broken' in my book! Look up the Principle of Least Astonishment.

As for the recording of consecutive programmes going wrong, why doesn't it use the two tuners to record the programmes separately? Instead it seems to rely on just one tuner, stopping one recording before starting the next, at some arbitrary point during the first programme!

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:13:38 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wiggers - 8 minutes ago  » 
    As for the recording of consecutive programmes going wrong, why doesn't it use the two tuners to record the programmes separately? Instead it seems to rely on just one tuner, stopping one recording before starting the next, at some arbitrary point during the first programme!

Because the box has no way of knowing beforehand if you are going to need the second tuner to record something else during the recording duration of the consecutive recordings. Enforcing one tuner to record consecutive recordings on the same channel is the sensible option as you will always get both recordings even though the broadcaster screws up the now/next changeover point.

Why don't you do as suggested, simply set on and off times to auto ?

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:27:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

When I had set on and off times to auto it was consistently losing the end of EPG recordings, so I added end padding. Can't win!

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:55:20 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wiggers - 29 seconds ago  » 
    When I had set on and off times to auto it was consistently losing the end of EPG recordings, so I added end padding. Can't win!

Which channel and how long ago ?

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:56:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

I think it was a year or two ago, I was trying to do a series recording of Pie in the Sky, probably ITV3. Can't remember exactly what now. Just remember the angry frustration at not seeing the end of the programme time after time.

| Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:58:51 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.