My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Machine spins up every 15 minutes when in standby

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveeyes

Hi,
    I have had my 1010s for a few weeks now and I am pleased with it.
    However I have noticed that when the machine is in standby, I hear it's disk spin up for about 1 minute every 15 minutes.
    Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks
    Dave

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:00:23 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I don't have one of those units, but I seem to remember reading some time ago that this was normal in certain situations. No doubt that someone will be along soon to put me right!

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:03:37 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The OP must have either the IOS or Android remote scheduling apps. When paired the box does this to check if any schedule changes have been made. Personally I reckon it's bound to impact on the hard disk service life.

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:11:22 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveeyes

Yes I have the Android freesat app that I use to schedule recordings.
    So this activity is it polling for any new instructions.. Sounds reasonable.
    Many thanks for the quick reply and wise words
    Dave

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:14:36 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The frequency should be user/STB selectable. I would prefer something that 120 mins. I will not be using it.

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:36:20 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 48 seconds ago  » 
    The frequency should be user/STB selectable. I would prefer something that 120 mins. I will not be using it.

Seconded though 12 - 24 hrs would suit me. I would only really find it useful if on holiday for longer than the current epg has data for.

| Thu 11 Sep 2014 15:38:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rkl

I installed the Android app and paired it up with my HDR 1000S, but I fairly quickly uninstalled/unpaired it. Apart from annoying 15-min interval power ups, the fact that the 1000S doesn't sync its current recording list with the one the app maintains made it utterly useless!

| Sat 13 Sep 2014 16:12:15 #7 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

rkl - 1 hour ago  » 
    I installed the Android app and paired it up with my HDR 1000S, but I fairly quickly uninstalled/unpaired it. Apart from annoying 15-min interval power ups, the fact that the 1000S doesn't sync its current recording list with the one the app maintains made it utterly useless!

It shows recording list and current recordings on iOS, I believe the Android app will be updated at a future date.

| Sat 13 Sep 2014 17:43:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

It's a good App for recording future programmes, so no need for my box to boot every 15 minutes and I won't be pairing it. A 12-24 hour option would suit me too.

| Mon 15 Sep 2014 16:23:00 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Is it not likely that the reason it checks so frequently is not only to keep track of the user's recording wishes but also to track the user's viewing behaviour. The Showcase feature is a big deal for Freesat. Important to gather as much data as possible on the extent to which Showcase "recommendations" (a.k.a. ads) are affecting user behaviour.

Speaking for myself I do check Showcase pretty regularly, but my box is no longer paired (because of the frequent spinning up) so that data's being lost by Freesat. I reckon it would pay them to reduce the frequency to avoid alienating users.

Freesat, are you listening?

Probably not.

| Tue 16 Sep 2014 15:51:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.