My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Manufacturing Quality?

(22 posts)
  1. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

I recently bought a DTR-T1000 that was going cheap because it was stuck in nearly ready. I have got it working but there is an intermittent fault whereby the main board occasionally stops supplying power to the disk drive at the wrong time. I know the problem is in the main board because I have changed the hard drive and power supply to test it: the PSU is the same model as is in the HDR-FOX T2 RE version. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
    Some friends had a fully-functional DTR-T1000 they did not want anymore so they passed it on to me. It was fine for a couple of days then I hooked it up to the internet. The box updated and all seemed well: I used iPlayer with no problems. Anyway the next day the box refused to get past nearly ready. I attempted to do a reset but now when I try and start maintenance mode I get the dreaded 'Boot fail. Invalid signature!!' message. So the box is now bricked. I have looked on the forums and it seems that this is caused by a corrupted software update. I have spoken to Humax Customer Support. Their representative did not confirm that it was the software update but didn't deny it either. Apparently in this state the main board can't be fixed and needs to be replaced, but at £120 it is hardly worth it. I am amazed that it is not possible to reflash the board, even if this has to be done by Humax. I enquired about the reliability of later models. Apparently this fault can happen on the DTR-T1010, but it doesn't always brick the box. He did say that he has not heard of the problem on the DTR-T2000. I asked about general reliability and why I should buy a new Humax YouView box and to paraphrase he said that, unless I was desperate for the extra catch up services, I would be better off with a HDR-2000T as the YouView software isn't very good!

| Tue 2 Dec 2014 13:08:27 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

When I encountered the BFIS failure, with my second YouView box, it wasn't entirely terminal. It arose when the box was dying for other reasons, and was consequently being put through numerous resets, one of which eventually called forth the BFIS failure. I disconnected it from the router and was able to continue using it to watch, record and playback until it died its final death a couple of weeks later.

I personally think that the BFIS problem did not come from a corrupted upgrade but was there from launch. I imagine Humax would not be keen to acknowledge either of those scenarios, so we may never know for sure. According to the YouView forum's list of bugs, it was fixed with the software update of March 2013.

The sad fact is, the YouView box isn't a Humax box in the way the HDR-2000T is a Humax box. I'm not surprised the CS rep recommended the HDR-2000T

| Tue 2 Dec 2014 13:53:36 #22 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.