My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Missing Record Menu Option

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Greensal

I had problems earlier with the box being stuck in standby and making strange noises. I turned it off and left it overnight and it seemed much happier in the morning. But today, when I have a bit of time I was going to reformat the HDD just to see if that helped but I have now lost the Record option on the menu. So this means I can't get at the format disk option. Any suggestions for how I can get it back? Tried the unplugging option again but without success this time.

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 10:13:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Greensal - 28 minutes ago  » 
    I turned it off and left it overnight and it seemed much happier in the morning. But today, when I have a bit of time I was going to reformat the HDD just to see if that helped but I have now lost the Record option on the menu.

All the symptoms you have quoted suggest that hard drive is either failing or has now failed. It isn't very difficult to replace it with a new one of the correct type. Which model of Humax do you own?

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 10:44:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Greensal

Hi Martin

It is a DVR-9200T Duovision (which I know is now discontinued). It is working to watch programmes live but then so does the TV :D.

If I do get the Record menu up and reformat the HDD will that keep it going or do you think it is on its way out regardless?

I noticed a "new" one on Ebay for £50 so if a new HDD is going to be more than that I might as well get a replacement for the whole box.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sal

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 10:49:19 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I thought this might happen when I read your post the other day but didn't want to give you the bad news. It looks like your hard disk has failed and getting a replacement for the 9200 is not easy these days. Martin usually posts on hard disk problems so may be along soon. Not what you want to hear just before Christmas.

EDIT: And you've both posted while I've been typing.

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 10:50:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Greensal - 2 hours ago  » 
    It is a DVR-9200T Duovision (which I know is now discontinued).
    If I do get the Record menu up and reformat the HDD will that keep it going or do you think it is on its way out regardless?

Always hard to be certain but on the basis that it has been making noises I would say it is probably near the end of its life. The only way to be sure would be to connect the drive to a PC and run the free Seagate Seatools for DOS on it.

I noticed a "new" one on Ebay for £50 so if a new HDD is going to be more than that I might as well get a replacement for the whole box.

The problem is that the IDE drives used in the 9200T have not been manufactured for about three years. I have in the past purchased second hand drives on Ebay that have been fine but it is a risk. If you want to have a punt then this Link to Ebay should take you to the correct type of drive.

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 13:24:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Greensal

Hi Martin

Just managed to stop the whirring noise with a sharp smack to the outside of the box - remembered an old desktop I had many years ago where that was the help desk's recommended boot up proceedure.

So I do now have the Record menu back and have taken the plunge to format the HDD to see if that fixes things .... if not your link looks ideal.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Do you make house calls with a screwdriver in the Nottingham area??

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 13:36:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Greensal - 8 hours ago  » 
    Do you make house calls with a screwdriver in the Nottingham area??

Maybe.

| Tue 26 Nov 2013 22:14:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Greensal

The smack to the box seems to have effected a partial fix .... the Record menu is back and the system is recording but not all the programmes I choose .... so wondering if it is channel specific or disc availability specific .... so in effect I can only record one thing at a time ... which is fine as long as I know. Will apply my Business Analyst skills over the next few days to try different scenarios and see what I can deduce.

| Wed 27 Nov 2013 13:47:09 #8 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Greensal - 6 hours ago  » 
    The smack to the box seems to have effected a partial fix .... the Record menu is back and the system is recording but not all the programmes I choose .... so wondering if it is channel specific or disc availability specific .... so in effect I can only record one thing at a time ... which is fine as long as I know. Will apply my Business Analyst skills over the next few days to try different scenarios and see what I can deduce.

You need to check if both tuners are still working. To do this start two recordings from two multiplexes using instant record. Start an instant recording on BBC1 by switching to BBC1 and pressing the RECORD button, the recording should start. Then switch to ITV1 and again press the RECORD button, if both tuners are working the second recording should start. Of course make sure there is no other scheduled recording taking place, the 9200 won't record three programmes at the same time.

If both recordings are successful your recording problem might be down to receiving from more than one transmitter. Here in Nottingham that could be from Waltham, Kimberley or Sutton Coldfield depending on where in Nottingham you are. Check to see if you've got any channels numbered 800, 801, 802, etc., if you have you need to do a Manual Search.

| Wed 27 Nov 2013 21:04:57 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Greensal

Hi Guys

The box has been working pretty well for the last few weeks although not always recording BBC.... which I can live with. But recently I have had a spell of Bad or No Signal messages on BBC channels but ok reception on non-BBC.

I'm Working From Home today so thought I would retune the set to see if that was what it was after but that has wiped all my channels as it has no signal 0% on both sliders. But the ariel is plugged in correctly and giving me a signal on my normal freeview TV? So now confused again. (Not tricky I accept but still!)

Suggestions on an electronic postcard please?

Thanks

Sal

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 12:28:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.