My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

More inconsistent faults

(35 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have noticed that DSG group like to quote 21 days for returns. Legislation states the consumer has a reasonable time to return faulty good for a full refund. Although not enshrined into law what constitutes a reasonable time, most law experts and the courts have interpreted that as being 30 days.

I know of a number of people who have called Currys to account regarding the 21 days and when pushed DSG have backed down and given refunds within 30 days.

| Wed 17 Dec 2014 0:23:10 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The Citizens Advice guide says:

When can you get a refund?

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that any goods you buy from a trader must be:

- of satisfactory quality
    - fit for purpose
    - match any description given.

If they aren’t, you normally have the right to return the goods and get all your money back. This is called a full refund. A full refund includes the cost of all postage and packing.

This right only lasts for a very short time after you buy the goods. You’re allowed a short time to examine them and try them out, but you must tell the trader about the problem as soon as you find out about it.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/faulty_goods_-_if_you_want_your_money_back.htm

The OP might not be entitled to a full refund, given that the problems weren't immediately reported to the retailer. But as the guide goes on to say, it still might be possible to negotiate a full refund.

However, since the OP has said that he likes the box when it works correctly, a replacement might be a better solution.

| Wed 17 Dec 2014 14:12:30 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Not all retail outlet staff understand consumer rights.
    On Monday I had to take an item back to a shop. I had bought it in Oct, checked it out, found it not powering up and immediately returned it for an exchange. Checked that as working and stored it as the job was delayed until recently. Fished it out at the w/e and it would not power up. Clearly a batch problem. Explained all this but assistant made a fuss about the 30 days return period, despite I only wanted an exchange. Reminded her of consumer rights...have to see the manager she said. Got my exchange in the end.

| Wed 17 Dec 2014 14:32:39 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Not all retail outlet staff understand consumer rights.

Very true. This can often be turned to advantage. It's hard for staff to stick to a refusal when they're not absolutely certain of their ground.

One thing most staff do understand is the desirability of settling a complaint quickly without bothering the manager.

| Wed 17 Dec 2014 15:02:57 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Again (and this happens a lot) tried to access the video section and no response. Went into TV portal, came out and the screen went black. No response to anything. Had to power off yet again. If I had a replacement the same could happen or worse. Stating to lose confidence in the Humax brand really.

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 12:44:54 #25 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

hubb - 2 hours ago  » 
    Again (and this happens a lot) tried to access the video section and no response. Went into TV portal, came out and the screen went black. No response to anything. Had to power off yet again. If I had a replacement the same could happen or worse. Stating to lose confidence in the Humax brand really.

Have you checked to see if the screen goes black because the Humax is outputting a black screen or if it's because your TV is switching away from the AV input the Humax is connected to.

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 15:25:37 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

hubb - 3 hours ago  » 

When you say you "came out", did you press "Back" or "Exit"?

When I go into the TV Portal and then press "Back", I get no response. Pressing "Exit" brings me out with no problem.

I seem to recall having black-screen-on-exit problems also, when I first bought the box (HB1000S). That went away, possibly after an update or possibly I just learned which key worked. I hadn't run into this non-response problem before, probably because I seldom use the TV Portal.

What happens if you press "Exit" to leave the TV Portal? Does it still throw you into a black screen?

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 16:18:48 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

On the 1000S/1010S the black screen when backing out of watching a recording or an OD session was introduced by an update back in July 2013. It persisted till an update earlier this year. The problem related to specifically using BACK to exit the session rather than using STOP then EXIT. Although there may have been some other key press combos that also caused the problem.

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 17:11:22 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

So it sounds as if there might still be some problems associated with backing out of various functions - minor in my case but severe for the OP.

OP, can I suggest you ring Humax and explain what's happening and ask for a replacement? Humax are very efficient about swapping boxes.

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 18:04:09 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

The screen went black in Humax, not the tv. I always press "exit" when coming out of tv portal.

| Sun 21 Dec 2014 19:17:00 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.