My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Need longer Ethernet cable - what type?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

First post here.

I have my first PVR, a Humax HDR-2000T, just two days now. Still have an old lump CRT TV lol, so connected with scart.

But first question is, the supplied Ethernet cable is too short (looks like I'll need 5m). What I need to know is exactly what type of cable to get. Looking online there's Cat5e and Cat6 UTP and FTP?? patch cables and also crossover cables. This is for a connection between my router and the Humax. I don't have a great internet connection so think a cable connection maybe best.

Second question. We want to keep our VCR but the scarts are used up on the TV. Was thinking about getting a switchable adaptor. We always had to have the VCR coax out back to the TV analogue socket to make it work. I have remade that connection, but seems to still need scart. Will a switchable adaptor and a second scart cable do this?

Thank you.

| Sat 26 Jul 2014 22:48:30 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Cat5e is good for around 100M, so you have little to worry about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Cat5e-ETHERNET-NETWORK-LAN-UTP-Cable-Patch-Lead-INTERNET-XBOX-PS3-10-100-/311003296971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item48693db4cb

If your TV has only a single scart socket and you have other kit connected by scar then yes you need some sort of external scart switch to select which source you want to watch.

| Sat 26 Jul 2014 23:19:05 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

If and when you upgrade your TV to a modern "smart" model that would benefit from an internet connection then you just need the single long ethernet cable run from your router to a network switch by the TV which can be connected to the PVR and TV using short cables. A five port switch would let you connected up to four devices as well as the router.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 9:20:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

pseudonym - 11 hours ago  » 
    I don't have a great internet connection.

I assume by this you mean your connection to the outside world. Have you actually tried connecting your Humax via wifi?

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 10:19:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

grahamlthompson - 15 hours ago  » 
    Cat5e is good for around 100M, so you have little to worry about
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Cat5e-ETHERNET-NETWORK-LAN-UTP-Cable-Patch-Lead-INTERNET-XBOX-PS3-10-100-/311003296971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item48693db4cb
    If your TV has only a single scart socket and you have other kit connected by scar then yes you need some sort of external scart switch to select which source you want to watch.

Thank you for the link.
    Our TV has two scarts, one connecting the DVD player and the other which was connecting the VCR. Having now got the Humax, I'm using that scart for that. My wife, in particular, wants to retain the VCR as she has some tapes valuable to her. Some are of ballet and opera, and actually it would be good to get them transferred to DVD. But I guess that would be a problem if copy protected. Probably not cheap either.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 15:12:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

colirv - 5 hours ago  » 

pseudonym - 11 hours ago  » 
    I don't have a great internet connection.

I assume by this you mean your connection to the outside world. Have you actually tried connecting your Humax via wifi?

Yes to the outside world. Best it does it a bit under (and often well under) 6000kbps. Not tried Wifi to the Humax but wifi is OK to my phone so I guess the Humax would be too. I may just get a ethernet connector as I have two shorter ethernet leads. I guess for the price of the right length cable I may as well get the right one.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 15:30:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

gomezz - 6 hours ago  » 
    If and when you upgrade your TV to a modern "smart" model that would benefit from an internet connection then you just need the single long ethernet cable run from your router to a network switch by the TV which can be connected to the PVR and TV using short cables. A five port switch would let you connected up to four devices as well as the router.

In this event (which judging by the time the old telly is taking to come on, and the diminishing picture quality may not be be too far away), does the network switch 'know' where the signal needs to go when connected to TV and Humax?

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 15:34:03 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes the switch simply extends your lan, each device will have it's own MAC address to which DHCP will allocate an IP address. TCP/IP packets are actually addressed to the MAC address within the Lan and to the IP address within the WAN.

Re the cable, for a few extra pennies get a CAT 6 or 7, no difference now, but in a few years ...

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 16:27:22 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.