My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Network disconnection - ?Standby?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimb

Hi,
    All generally very good with 4.08, but there is an oddity I don't quite understand - perhaps you can educate me..

When the box is on, it seems to drop all network connectivity after a period of time - it is not fully into standby as the front is blue and it's still running TV output, but all network connectivity seems to go away - Samba stops, SSH, even ping.

What should I do to stop it going into "doze" mode...?

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 14:36:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to the forum. 4.09 is the latest release.

Fixes problem with static ip-address

http://www.avforums.com/forums/17803484-post513.html

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 14:48:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimb

Ahh - sorry - missed that one. Have just upgraded to 4.09 - will leave it copying and see what happens...
    Thanks

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 16:04:51 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimb

Nope - same behaviour - I left it copying, came back after a couple of hours, box is on (blue light etc), display on the TV but apparently no network - no response to ping and nothing higher level.

I'll go and look in the syslog on the box but anything particular that might be a "known issue"?

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:39:42 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can you set a address reservation for the Foxsat on your router ?

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:54:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimb

Currently I have the Foxsat set to "Manual" IP configuration with a simple fixed address etc, set in the onscreen menus.

I could set it to DHCP and set an address reservation for it based on MAC address, but I thought a simple fixed config would be if anything less likely to cause issues.

Side point - while it was booting I just watched the DHCP server log and the Foxsat MAC clearly requests a dynamic address (which it is given by the server) then this is overriden by something later on. When finally booted it is definitely using the static address and not the one issued by DHCP. - this confirmed by what it's listening to and also from ifconfig when logged in.

I've just looked on the box from an SSH shell and
    /etc/network/interfaces shows eth0 as dhcp which would be logical from the above behavior.

I wonder if DHCP is actually still running (I can see a udhcpc process) and after a timeout it makes a new DHCP request, gets given an address and this overwrites the static config set at boot. That would fit and be an entirely reasonable oversight, not seen by anyone using entirely dynamic addresses.

I'll set an address reservation to the same as the manually set IP and see what happens. If it is as above it's a minor but noteworthy bug - "Manual config will be ignored after a timeout".

Will update after further digging.

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 22:21:49 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I have been using a static address on the foxsat for the last few years, without problems - I also have a matching address reservation on the router (to prevent a duplicate allocation).
    As the manual address forces a unusual gateway I know that the static address is active.

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 8:56:51 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimb

Confirmed -
    As suspected after a timeout of a couple of hours I have just watched the box make a DHCP request and the server issues a new IP as I didn't have a specific reservation assigned. (It is set statically in the range with my servers not that range issued dynamically).

After the request it activates the new address. I'm not sure if it activates all the DHCP extended option details (gateway etc) - if it is ignoring those and only changing the host address it might explain REPASSAC's observed behavior.

Immediate fix is simply to assign a fixed DHCP reservation based on MAC, then either use DHCP all the time or let it make the request when it times out and get given the same address as set statically. Thankfully using dnsmasq I can set a specific assignment out of the dynamic range.

That works fine, but it is a little gotcha others may find - ideally the firmware should disable the DHCP client if a static IP is set in the menus, but I do appreciate the use of static IP's is probably relatively unusual these days and more people set things as reservations on routers which would hide this.

| Fri 21 Dec 2012 14:23:28 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

kimb - The foxsat is known to always request DHCP address before it applies any static settings. So not surpised at this.

I have seen another post saying his dynamic connection is lost after a time - this was using a homeplug with energy saving features.

It is always a good idea to set an address reservation on the router anyway. Prevents duplicate addresses and the "I have just installed a new router problem" (Different network). I have quite a lot of devices and it is one place I can see the whole picture.

| Fri 21 Dec 2012 15:07:38 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.