My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Networking to Projector

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

britespark

I have the approved USB hard drive connected into the HD Fox T2 box and want to view and play the recorded files through the connected network to my projector in another room. Have followed the manual regarding networking but can't see how to get things setup to achieve this.

The software version on the box is KZTFT 1.02.28

Can someone advise how to achieve this - or is it beyond the capabilities of this particular box?

All suggestions and help would be gratefully received.

| Thu 12 Feb 2015 16:09:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

need a bit more information...

I'm assuming the HdFox is connected to a TV which is why you don't want to move the box closer to the projector or use very long hdmi cable/s (10m - 15m) with boosters as necessary.

Is the projector connected to the network and is it able to playback media from a dlna media server or similar?

If it is then you're lucky or an astute purchaser, you'll need to put custom firmware (CF) on the HdFox and do a fair amount of tweaking. It won't work out of the box and you'll need to delve into CF which will be fun

If it isn't then it'll start getting messy and expensive. You can get hdmi -> cat5 network adapters or use long hdmi cables with boosters and switches as necessary. Neither of these will be ideal. It'd make more sense to bolt a media server/player or a raspberry Pi or similar directly onto the back of the projector or very close assuming you have network/power available and continue down the CF route on the HdFox. My personal choice would be a Pi. Other alternatives would be to get a HdrFoxT2 for the TV and use the HdFox with the projector, makes more sense if you have an aerial feed.

If none of this makes sense, then start by putting CF on the HdFox and play, you'll soon learn the capabilities, if not post back with more detailed info

| Thu 12 Feb 2015 19:34:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

britespark

Yes, the HdFoxT2 is connected directly to a 23" tv in an upstairs room. The projector is on the ground floor and connected to a Denon AV Receiver.

All cables - from DVD Player, VHS VCR, Computer Server via HDMI over Ethernet (cat5), all go to the Denon AV Receiver and then out via component to the projector.

So far I can connect through the HdFoxT2 to the Computer Server, locate a video file and watch that film on the small 23"TV attached to the HdFox set top box.

What I don't seem to be able to do, is find a way to watch a film recorded on the hard disk attached to the HdFoxT2 through the network via the computer server connected to the projector.

From what I can see, you can ONLY CHOOSE either USB or NETWORK without any option in the HdFox T2 to transfer files from the USB through the Network to a media server (ie my Computer Server). If I need to install some CF onto the Humax to achieve my goal, can you suggest what software I should be looking to install?

Thanks, Damian for your help thus far.

| Thu 12 Feb 2015 22:49:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

You're still not giving us all the information.

"All cables - from DVD Player, VHS VCR, Computer Server via HDMI over Ethernet (cat5), all go to the Denon AV Receiver and then out via component to the projector."

I'm assuming you're not using hdmi or component from the DVD player, but rgb or s-video or composite. The same for the VHS VCR. You have a video in card on the Computer Server for the DVD and VCR and output via hdmi ???
    You then have hdmi -> cat5 and then cat5 -> hdmi and into the Denon. The Denon outputs component to the projector as presumably the projector doesn't have hdmi or dvi (or just as likely, pointless hdcp has screwed up the signal and you're only left with component or worse that works)

Again, more assumption, you're looking for a way of copying the HdFox files over to the computer server and playing back from there to the projector.

Obviously you can playback the HdFox via the scart or RCA sockets to the computer server and onto the projector the same way that you do the DVD and VCR, i.e. if you can get DVD and VCR to your projector then you can with the HdFox, it will tie up the HdFox though just as it does the DVD and VCR

The HdFoxT2 doesn't have a dlna server, unlike the HdrFoxT2. You can put CF on the HdFoxT2 and run it in HdrFoxT2 mode, a bit fiddly. That way you can access the HdFox files via the computer server and playback to the projector, just the same way you can access the computer server dlna files via the HdFox and playback to the 23" screen. It's critical that you understand this concept.

If you have network availability close to the Denon and the Denon has more than one hdmi input then it makes more sense to get a media server/player connected to the Denon, put CF on the HdFox, and bypass the computer server altogether, go straight to the HdFox. It's not necessary and adds to the costs, but means the computer server doesn't always have to be on to playback the HdFox content. Personally I like the Pi (which will open up loads of possibilities, basically give you a mini computer on the groundfloor), but even a tablet with WiFi and hdmi output should suffice if you have one knocking around. You don't really need this though, the computer server is fine if the budget is tight.

My advice as before, put CF on the HdFox and play, google custom firmware HDFOXT2. Once you've played with it and are happy, read and then re-read the instructions before touching hdr mode.

I don't think anybody reading your first post could ever have imagined that there were hdmi -> cat5 adapters in play. It's really important to provide as much relevant information as possible as there is a myriad of ways these things can be configured. Let us know, in due course, how you get on

| Fri 13 Feb 2015 4:12:18 #4 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Content on the HD-FOX (with custom firmware) can be accessed remotely either by sharing the source folder (NFS or SMB share) or by DLNA, if you install Mediatomb. However, this does not work with encrypted content, i.e. everything recorded on the HD-FOX. More info is available at hummy.tv. BTW if you look in the support section on the Humax website you can download updated software for the HD-FOX (version 1.03.02). Navigation of the EPG is a little slower with this version but you get the latest version of BBC iPlayer.

| Fri 13 Feb 2015 11:43:16 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

britespark

Thanks Damian for all this advice. I had thought it was just a Humax box configuration issue rather than any issues farther down the chain. To clarify things for you:-

1. No HDMI is working on either the Denon AVR or the Projector.
    This was as a result of a fault developing on the HDMI side of the Denon which also took out the HDMI facility on the Projector. Fortunately Component was still working on both items, so this is how I currently use these items.

2. DVD Player uses Component output to Component Input on the Denon.

3. VHS VCR uses Component output to Component Input on the Denon

4. Computer Server (located in another room) - HDMI output goes to a Splitter which then feeds a monitor as well as HDMI over Ethernet (cat5) to Component Input on the Denon

5. The Computer Server has a Black Gold TV Capture card installed providing both satellite and Off-Air recording. I use Windows Media Center for playback either on the Projector or via Linksys Media Extender on the living room tv.

So, now to answer your question about what I am trying to achieve:

When I originally posted, all I was trying to do is to simply be able to view whatever is recorded on the HdFoxT2's USB attached hard drive on the projector downstairs via the network. Without installing the Custom Firmware you mentioned, it is clear that this is not possible even if I upgrade the official driver to the latest edition which I believe is 1.03.02 (from 1.02.28).

I am currently looking at the wiki.hummy.tv webpage to see if it is worth me going this route, and will report back later.

Assuming that I decide NOT to go with a CF solution, my fallback was how to get the Std and HD recorded files off the attached USB Hard drive and copied onto a new directory on the Computer Server that I could access for downstairs viewing either on the 28" living room tv or on the the projector.

I do have an old (1999) low spec computer with network access close to the projector and Denon AVR that currently runs Korora which is a Linux OS but is standalone and not currently connected into the Denon.

However, the graphics card is a GeForce FX5200 which has VGA connected to a monitor but also has a spare S-Video output that I could connect to a spare S-Video input of the Denon, although I fear the installed 1Mb RAM may be an issue for video playback. I have ordered a suitable length S-Video lead to try this out, but this will not arrive until sometime next week. Now if that doesn't provide a way forward, just maybe I'll look into going down the pi route which you mentioned.

Once again, Damian, many thanks for all your very helpful suggestions.

| Fri 13 Feb 2015 13:15:52 #6 |
  7. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Without custom firmware any recordings made on the HD-FOX will not be playable on another device.

| Fri 13 Feb 2015 15:04:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

britespark - 22 hours ago  » 

Assuming that I decide NOT to go with a CF solution,

The only way would be to use the hdmi, scart or rca output from the HdFox. If the computer server is in the same room as the HdFox then a hdmi simple switch, output from computer and output from HdFox -> hdmi over cat5. Alternatively you can use video senders (scart -> video sender -> ... -> video receiver -> denon), although I wouldn't recommend them.
    If as I suspect the computer server is in yet a different room to the HdFox and again projector then you really have no alternative to CF

I am still a bit confused as to how the hdmi output from the computer server works via the hdmi over cat5 to component input on the Denon. The hdmi over cat5's that I've seen are pure hdmi with no component or composite (unless you're hard wiring the cat5, i.e. no adapters just using the wires?).
    I've a feeling you're confusing composite with component, if you're not then my apologies as I don't often see component on VCR's, composite being the single composite video signal (rca yellow socket or one of the pins in scart) with component which is three video signals, 3 separate component rca sockets, can be found in scart at times, a bit similar to RGB.
    Doesn't really matter though, except for composite is pretty poor quality nowadays compared to RGB/component/hdmi with digital hdmi being the best, any analogue is likely to suffer interference.

Assuming you have network in all 3 rooms?
    CF has to go on the HdFox, that way the computer server can access the content on the HdFox and relay that to the projector. I still believe it would make sense to add a small media server/player close to the Denon - the choices are almost limitless, but as you already run Korora the raspberry Pi would be an ideal addition it'll also help in diagnosing the hdmi in/out problems around the denon/projector

If you don't have network, wifi/cat5 close to the HdFox then get it there. All of the non CF routes or CF/no-network routes don't make much sense. If there's no cat5 then homeplugs are pretty good a pair of 500Mb/s can be bought for less than £25 and perform much better than wifi

There are many different ways, almost limitless depending on your setup, to achieve what you want, first step is CF and you'll need network availability to the HdFox. If you do get a Pi then revisit the hdmi at some point on the denon/projector as it's normally pretty reliable.

| Sat 14 Feb 2015 12:33:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

britespark

Thanks Damian for your detailed replies.

First, you are correct that the Denon AVR, Panasonic Projector plus the old computer are in the utility room, the ethernet connected Computer Server with HDMI splitter feeding HDMI over Cat5 with HDFury component output in another room and the Humax HD_Fox_T2 and external hard drive with 23" TV in an upstairs location.

Second, I am not confusing myself about the outputs from the combined VCR/DVD recorder. It is a Daewoo model which has the three RCA sockets and is clearly marked as "Component".

I have now got the 3m S-Video lead connected from the old computer to the Denon AVreceiver and this enables output from that computer to the adjacent projector.

I have just successfully upgraded my Humax box to the latest combined version with Custom Firmware 3 and also installed Mediatomb as I think this will be needed somewhere in the configuration.

I can call up the web interface through the browser, but I cannot figure out what I need to do to get a recording to play in VLC media player which I use to feed the projector.

Can anyone point me to a guide or wiki that provides a clear overview of what I now need to do in order to get something to output on the projector from the Humax files which have .ts filenames.

| Wed 25 Feb 2015 16:16:08 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

britespark - 36 minutes ago  » 

Second, I am not confusing myself about the outputs from the combined VCR/DVD recorder. It is a Daewoo model which has the three RCA sockets and is clearly marked as "Component".

No, you just forgot to tell us it was combined, in your post #6 you list DVD and VCR as separate items, I just questioned VCR component as your setup is a bit different and as I pointed out, I don't often see component on VCR's. I can safely assume the Daewoo is in the utility room rather than connected to the living room TV and has no bearing. It's like a game of cluedo this.

Also you've only just now mentioned hdmi over cat5 is using HDFury component.
    The difference between composite and component is massive and names easily confused so it was important to double check, plus I didn't quite know if it was relevant to your setup which it isn't

I use firefox as a brower and VLC installed a plugin automatically on installation. Over the years this has mostly worked, browse to the humax media etc, select a recording and if the humaxHD is in HDR mode and set up properly you should be able to play it in the browser, very recently and at the moment it takes two attempts with my browswer/plugin to play before it actually plays.

I've always found VLC a great player when it works, getting it to see network attached devices can be a bit clunky, there was a necessary option to tick first, hidden away on the older versions. VLC should find the humax somewhere under 'network' 'universal PlugnPlay'

I'm not aware of any guide or wiki however; there is a ton of useful information on the site where you found the CF. I don't use mediatomb and I think you'll find VLC won't be able to play the encrypted content straight off via mediatomb, I simply can't remember (easily tested by putting an unencrypted file on the humax though). I'd pursue the hdr mode route personally.

I can't help but think something like a raspberry pi would make more sense or a 2nd hand hdrfoxt2. What you want to achieve is possible with your setup, but with the best will in the world I don't think it's possible to give you a clear overview of what you need to do.

Start off with hdr mode on the humax, your browser with the vlc plugin should be able to playback content thereafter. Also the vlc media player program should as well once it's found the humax.

Separate to hdr mode i.e leave the humax as it is with mediatomb, put an unencrypted file on the humax, VLC media player should be able to find the humax/mediatomb and play it back.

Both of the above should give you an indication as to how best to set up your particular system

I'm struggling to understand why you're using the old computer and s-video when the computer server with VLC and/or browser should be able to serve the content from the humax via the hdmi over cat5 - hdfury component route which should be able to deliver HD (high definition). I'm glad to see you've got CF though, have a play with hdr mode on the humax and it should become clearer

| Wed 25 Feb 2015 18:55:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.