My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New Freesat HDR 1000S no channels found

(29 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lizzie8

I Have been using sky plus for the last year, I was with o2 broadband and had free tv & installation offer. However I recently cancelled sky and bought a Humax Freesat HDR 1000S. Today I tried to install the freesat and it could'nt find any channels. It said there is a very weak signal. I tried with just input 1 connected, but it still did'nt find a signal. I had the sky box on this morning and it was fine then so I don't know what the problem could be. The box seems to be working correctly.

I live in a first floor flat and the dish is attached to my balcony. If anyone could give me any advice I would be very much obliged.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 17:12:49 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

At first install, and at subsequent freesat retunes only one transponder matters - one currently at 28.5E (Where a lot of Sky channels were till six or so months ago). It is quite possible you have a weak signal to this transponder but a good signal to those at 28.2E where most channels now are.

If you still have your Sky unit try CBS action (28.5E) and also a manual tune to 11428 H 27500 - 2/3. This is the transponder needed.

If you want a shortcut take it to a friends set it up there and nearly everything will be perfect except perhaps you dish alignment. This will not matter soon (anyone know how soon) because 28.5 is leaving as a UK position.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 17:57:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lizzie8

Thank you REPASSAC for your reply. On my sky box on Cbs Action which I have watched before, it is alright as long as it does not rain. With heavy rain the picture does break up. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has sky or fressat to try to set up the box.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 18:15:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

lizzie8 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you REPASSAC for your reply. On my sky box on Cbs Action which I have watched before, it is alright as long as it does not rain. With heavy rain the picture does break up. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has sky or fressat to try to set up the box.

Your Sky box has a menu option Add Channels. It allows you to add channels not on your epg (mostly regional variations you can't see because of the address your sky viewing card is registered to). If you select this and enter the details Repassac has posted it will tell you the signal strength and more importantly the signal quality. If you can't get a lock onto this transponder then you will not be able to setup a freesat box. The reason is more than likely the dish alignment, hence the poor performance with CBS Action.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 18:41:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

lizzie8

Thanks for your reply Graham. My Sky plus subscription has now finished today as that is why I bought the freesat box. If I don't have a subscription I don't know if I can add more channels.

I think I shall have to get someone to come out and have a look at the dish and cables.

| Mon 20 Oct 2014 22:42:15 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

lizzie8 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply Graham. My Sky plus subscription has now finished today as that is why I bought the freesat box. If I don't have a subscription I don't know if I can add more channels.
    I think I shall have to get someone to come out and have a look at the dish and cables.

You don't need a subscription to use add channels. In this case you don't need to add any just look at the signal strength and quality.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 8:18:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

lizzie8

Sorry for the delay in replying. The problem seems to be with the cables going into the back of the box. This morning when I unscrewed one of the cables from the freesat box it came loose from the silver bit where it is screwed in. I tried to put the silver bit back on to the cable. When I put the sky box on there was no signal at all, so it appears to be a cable problem.

Does anyone here have any idea how much it would cost for an engineer to come and fix it.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 15:12:26 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's very easy to fit a new f connector.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

You don't need grease for plugs used indoors.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 15:16:16 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Refitting a F connector is a simple task.
    http://satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

Edit: Beaten to it by Graham - same link as well!

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 15:17:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

lizzie8

Thanks for all your help, I definately don't want to spend money if I can fix it myself. I did actually find the added channels on the sky box, but because of the cable problem I was'nt able to test them.

| Tue 21 Oct 2014 15:54:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.