My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

No or bad signal after standby

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Hi. New here. Hope someone can help.

Just bought a foxsat 320Gb from ebay, 2nd hand. I've bought one before for a relative so have some knowledge. I previously had an old pace 810 hd receiver. Dish is on a motor to get RTL for F1. Dish has single LNB.

Only got the foxsat today but I am finding that when it goes into standby and comes out, I get "no or bad signal". If I change channels lots of times then it all starts to work, even returning to original channel. e.g. it will start on BBC1 with no signal, I can switch to channel 143 which will work and I can now go back to BBC1, but switch off and on, and I have to do the same thing??

I understand because I am in "motor" mode, I am limited to "single cable". (not sure how this differs from two cable, single feed??) I do have a link cable connected. I can record 2 channels at the same time and watch a limited selection. I have tried power saving off and on. I have done a factory reset.

I'm still troubleshooting and so far it seems test recordings are working, coming out of standby so If that continues, I'm not too concerned. (Although I have already had one failed recording due to a conflict which I cannot understand)

However, can anyone explain why I get no signal after standby? Is it a fault? I have some knowledge about polarisation and frequecies but cannot understand this? I will add that my dish alignment/cables might not be perfect and there are some frequencies that might not be perfect but I seem to be getting 60-80% most of the time.

I already updated the official firmware from 17 to 21.

Thanks.

| Sat 4 Apr 2015 20:55:49 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

There are some special settings for the Foxsat in a hidden menu.
    I don't know much about DESEQC myself but you will find some information on:
    http://www.astra2sat.com/freesat/diseqc-settings-on-freesat/

I remember reading that the choice of port is significant and from memory, that freesat should be on the first.

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 9:57:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Thanks, I had a look. Not sure ports come into it though, is that if a had a diseqc switch, which I don't have?? I don't have the input option on the menu. I just have a standard motor.

I've done some more testing. I set the antennae option back to fixed but it was just the same. I have now improved the signal by lifting the dish slightly. Now get at least 85% and 100% quality on all freesat channels including 999, still made no difference.

I then bypassed the motor by connecting directly to the lnb. This worked i.e. no "no or bad signal" after standby. The motor has no affect on quality/signal.

It does seem to depend on which channel I am on before going into standby. Above about channel number 140 seems to be better, (if not 100% ?) than the lower channels but does not seem to be dependent on polarisation or whether its a channel with regional differences (e.g. BBC)

Unfortunately it does affect recordings too. My previous testing was on programs due to start soon (display clock) stayed on. Those seemed to be ok.

Don't know what else to try. All seems quite strange, like the humax is putting the motor into some kind of sleep mode and not waking it up when it comes out of standby under certain conditions?

Anyone any other suggestions??

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 15:17:37 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not sure if this will help.

http://www.purplesat.com/index.php?p=1_48_FOXSAT-HIDDEN-MENU

I do remember in the early days if you use a motor the Foxsat effectively reverts to a single tuner for Freesat operations. It works OK using diseqc and multiple lnbs ( I had a small dish on 19.2E for a while).

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 16:45:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Again thanks and I have looked at the link but there is nothing I haven't already done.

There must be something weird going on. I can reliably go into standby from ch145 and it works fine, even for recordings 15+ minutes in the future but not the lower BBC/ITV channels.

I just need to test going into standby from ch145 with multiple recordings in the future. As long as it "keeps ch145" rather than switching to the recorded channel each time, it might work.

There doesn't seem to be a setting to set a specific "switch on" channel?

In the meantime, I have added the custom firmware and got RTL added to the "freeview list" to allow scheduled recordings. As long as I can workaround the standby issue, i'm well pleased!

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 17:49:39 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I just need to test going into standby from ch145 with multiple recordings in the future. As long as it "keeps ch145" rather than switching to the recorded channel each time, it might work.
    In the meantime, I have added the custom firmware and got RTL added to the "freeview list" to allow scheduled recordings. As long as I can workaround the standby issue, i'm well pleased!

Logically channels 152 and 160 should work the same way. You could try setting a watch timer to 145 every day before recordings are due.

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 18:02:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    I do remember in the early days if you use a motor the Foxsat effectively reverts to a single tuner for Freesat operations. It works OK using diseqc and multiple lnbs ( I had a small dish on 19.2E for a while).

I read that too and it says in the menu "one cable".

At present, as a test, I am recording both BBC One South and ITV+1 and viewing ITV2. I assume that means I must be using two tuners?

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 18:29:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

grahamlthompson - 33 minutes ago  » 

AlanFoxsat - 10 minutes ago  » 

Logically channels 152 and 160 should work the same way. You could try setting a watch timer to 145 every day before recordings are due.

154 and 160 works. 152 (travel ch+1) doesn't. 152 has 85%, 90% !!??

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 18:38:10 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 43 minutes ago  » 

At present, as a test, I am recording both BBC One South and ITV+1 and viewing ITV2. I assume that means I must be using two tuners?

Should be impossible Even with two
    cables

961 BBC 1 South 10817 V
    112 ITV+1 10891 H
    113 ITV2 10758 V

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 19:18:22 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

grahamlthompson - 16 minutes ago  » 

AlanFoxsat - 43 minutes ago  » 

Should be impossible Even with two
    cables
    961 BBC 1 South 10817 V
    112 ITV+1 10891 H
    113 ITV2 10758 V

Kingofsat shows itv1 +1 at 10758 V. It might have moved in Feb.

Anyway my plan of switching to 145 before standby did not work. A planned recording for BBC1 did not start. When I switched it on it said there was a conflict with the current channel (145) only when I cancelled that did it switch to BBC1 and start recording.

Would that have worked if I had two cable (one feed - loop through) or would the same problem still exist?

| Sun 5 Apr 2015 19:42:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.