My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Not receiving DVB-T2

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Hi,

I bought an HDR-2000T in May this year and it has worked pretty well up until recently. Following the Freeview retune in early September it continued to work fine.

However, in the last week or so, BBC News HD has occasionally given me a "weak signal" message and a black screen, but recovered by changing programs. Yesterday, it gave up completely and would not display BBC News HD at all.

I tried an auto-retune, a manual retune and then a factory reset and further retunes, but have been unable to even get the channel BBC News HD is on to be recognised(Ch 32).

Today, the Humax box also lost Ch 39 and I was unable to regain it by manual tuning.

My TV also has a Freeview tuner and correctly recognises all seven channels I should receive from the Hannington transmitter (32, 39, 41, 42, 44, 45, 47), showing them at 100% strength and quality.

Another factory reset of the Humax and retune managed to recognise just channels 41, 42, 44, 45 and 47. I could manually add Ch 39 (after switching to DVB-T2), but Ch 32 just shows 0% signal, no matter what settings I use on the manual retune screen.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Steve.

| Sat 27 Sep 2014 21:36:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can you try fitting a signal attenuator (or a passive splitter) to the aerial input on your box ?. It's possible you have a really strong signal that is overloading the tuner front end. As in all things, increasing the tuner sensitivity to work with weak signals makes them more susceptible to not being able to cope with very high signal levels.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-TV-Variable-0-20dB-Signal-Attenuator-with-F-Plug-Type-Connector-Fittings-/270901983423?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item3f130438bf

| Sat 27 Sep 2014 22:05:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Hmmm... interesting thought... I'll give it a go and post if it helps.

| Sat 27 Sep 2014 23:36:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Well I tried a passive splitter so the signal now goes to both Humax and TV directly... it seemed to reduce the signal level for all channels slightly on the TV, but the Humax still works fine on 6 of my 7 channels and sees absolutely nothing on ch32.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the box has a fault - Humax support have suggested reformatting the disk might help. Difficult to believe that this has any effect whatsoever on tuner performance but I suppose I'll have to try it

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 13:07:51 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

raichea - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Well I tried a passive splitter so the signal now goes to both Humax and TV directly... it seemed to reduce the signal level for all channels slightly on the TV, but the Humax still works fine on 6 of my 7 channels and sees absolutely nothing on ch32.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the box has a fault - Humax support have suggested reformatting the disk might help. Difficult to believe that this has any effect whatsoever on tuner performance but I suppose I'll have to try it

Can you try temporarily connecting by scart and removing any hdmi cables.

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 13:25:17 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Not sure why switching to SCART would help (interference?) but I'm getting desperate. No difference.... still zilch on ch32. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 15:19:46 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

raichea - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Not sure why switching to SCART would help (interference?) but I'm getting desperate. No difference.... still zilch on ch32. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

HDMI cables can radiate rf at UHF frequencies. If you have hdmi cables very close to coax cables especially the thin poorly screened ones it's possible to completely knock out a mux.

Next question do you have any sort of rf source close to the box (Cordless Phone, WiFi router, even a Blu-ray player etc). If so select UHF channel 32 in manual tune and try turning off any adjacent kit one item at a time to see if you get the mux back. It's hard to imagine a box issue that stops you getting just one mux.

COM 7 incidentally on CH32 is a lower powered MUX than the others.

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 15:30:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Have a Blu-ray player close, but no difference with that unplugged at the wall. Tried switching off all nearby kit and making sure antenna lead clear of other cables but still no dice.

One other observation, occasionally, if I leave the unit in manual tune mode, ch32, DVB-T2, the signal/quality indicators just sit at 0%. Then, on rare occasions, they'll jump up to levels as per the other channels (c. 60% strenght, 100% quality) but as soon as I try to search for programs on that channel, I get a 0 channel response and the levels have dropped back to 0%.

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 17:31:28 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

raichea

Also agree it's odd that I'm only having problems on one channel.

That said, the TV has no problems with ch32 using the same antenna lead and also when using the passive splitter. Regarding power, the main muxes are 50 and 25kW... I've seen one page that puts Com7 at 10kW, but the page at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/PO30+4HT/NA/0/NA shows it at 36.7kW... sadly, I'm guessing 10kW is more likely to be correct. Still doesn't explain why my TV has no trouble receiving it

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 17:43:13 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Very odd, it sounds like a bad connection. Is the Belling Lee socket in the Humax box a good tight fit. They can be a poor fit and fail to grip the centre pin properly. Is the Belling Lee plug correctly fitted with the centre core soldered ?

Running out of ideas.

Afterthought, if you chain the aerial via the box to the TV with it switched on, do you still get COM7 on the TV ?

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 18:18:40 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.