My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Old CRT TV and 'fluttering'

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

We have an old (9 years) CRT TV, so no HDMI socket. Humax is connected to scart. I have an aerial splitter at the Humax aerial in so I can have just the TV on without the Humax (it remains in standby obviously). When viewing channels through the Humax there is some fluttering (for want of a better term) noticeable mostly where there is solid colour background showing such as the deep blue Newsnight background or the solid pink floor in the gymnastics arena at the Commonwealth Games. Through the TV there's no fluttering and recordings done so far (not with back grounds like this) look fine.
    Just wondering if it is the AV scart doing this. VCRs do this a bit when we still had that plugged in to the scart.

| Tue 29 Jul 2014 23:49:18 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

First thing to try is a different scart cable. Make sure you use a fully screened scart cable with all pins wired.

Is the scart socket on the TV RGB capable ? Look carefully they often are labelled if they are.

If there is more than one scartAV1 is usually RGB capable.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 9:11:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pseudonym

The scart lead is years old and connected to AV2 socket (this is what is displayed as you switch Humax on - the same socket as we previously had the VCR connected to. But yes I'll get a new scart, two I think.

I know this old lead we are using is fully wired as I took both apart to check 9 years ago following the shop installation of the then new TV, VCR and DVD player had been linked up. The shop had connected the fully wired (thicker) one (our original one) to the DVD player to AV1 and the non fully wired one was on the VCR to AV2 and prevented the Smartlink. The Humax is on AV2. Swapping the leads over 9 years ago enabled the fully wired one to work on the VCR properly although the picture quality was never as good as our older Mitsubishi TV and VCR.

Anyway I'll get new leads and try AV1 on the Humax. Thanks.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 21:20:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pseudonym - 12 minutes ago  » 
    The scart lead is years old and connected to AV2 socket (this is what is displayed as you switch Humax on - the same socket as we previously had the VCR connected to. But yes I'll get a new scart, two I think.
    I know this old lead we are using is fully wired as I took both apart to check 9 years ago following the shop installation of the then new TV, VCR and DVD player had been linked up. The shop had connected the fully wired (thicker) one (our original one) to the DVD player to AV1 and the non fully wired one was on the VCR to AV2 and prevented the Smartlink. The Humax is on AV2. Swapping the leads over 9 years ago enabled the fully wired one to work on the VCR properly although the picture quality was never as good as our older Mitsubishi TV and VCR.
    Anyway I'll get new leads and try AV1 on the Humax. Thanks.

Your existing lead is probably fine. Transfer it to AV1 and check both the Humax is set to output RGB and the TV setup menus are set to RGB input for AV1.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 21:35:10 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.