My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Olympic Channel Recordings

(149 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Muzer

XBy - 2 hours ago  » 
    You mean :
    "The problem exists because in the way that the stream is being encoded the box cannot build the required PVR indexing correctly. This causes it to get confused and believe the recording is zero in time. "
    ??
    Sadly I have little idea what PVR indexing is, or how the encoding of a programme that the box can demonstrably view could affect the boxes ability to record. In my naivety I assume that there is a "spec" for such things. If there is, and if the broadcast conforms, then I assume the Humax box does not.

I have heard a few things about a few other boxes have had the same issues. If it's in the spec, the BBC still should have done some more tests on a few actual retail boxes - it's only by far the most popular Freesat box, for goodness' sake. Surely they coul have spared a few hundred pounds of their budget to buy some of the more popular Freesat boxes for testing purposes *before* the olympics...

I do have a (very) vague idea about how video streams work - doesn't the indexing allow positions in the file to be matched to time indexes, thus allowing the stream to be easily jumped around in (eg using the 30 second skip buttons). Presumably this indexing should be present, but other PVRs make their own indexing so get around the problem. If the PVR didn't detect any indexing, for whatever reason (either the required indexing isn't present in the stream, or the Humax has a bug that stops it detecting this indexing), it can't decide where to start recording (presumably the Humax likes starting on an indexed point, for whatever reason, hence the 30 minute message).

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 16:37:08 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

ah666

Even thought the recording fails does it still use up space on the HDD ? Mine was meant to record the cycling and seems to have a lot less disk space available but there is nothing to delete

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 16:59:30 #52 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Update:

I have responded to all PM's received so far, the majority by return, but I have to take a break now and again

A couple of you have not checked your PM's so please check and reply.

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 17:14:47 #53 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ah666 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Even thought the recording fails does it still use up space on the HDD ? Mine was meant to record the cycling and seems to have a lot less disk space available but there is nothing to delete

The files appear to totally disappear when you stop recording. I have only tried small test recordings though so any effect on disc capacity wouldn't be noticed. Looking at the HDD directly there's no obvious sign.

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 17:24:11 #54 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 27 seconds ago  » 

ah666 - 21 minutes ago  » 

The files appear to totally disappear when you stop recording. I have only tried small test recordings though so any effect on disc capacity wouldn't be noticed. Looking at the HDD directly there's no obvious sign.

It's 30 seconds not 30 minutes. All recordings on the Foxsat have a minimum recording time of 30 seconds. Any recording doesn't appear in the Media list till approx 30 seconds has elapsed. If you change channels you have to wait at least 30 seconds of time shift buffer to be created before live pause works.

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 17:27:59 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

budgie1645

I have just found out about it not recording , i just turned on to watch all the Gymnastics only to find that there was not any recording that i had set .
    Please Please hurry to sort this out .

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 19:41:13 #56 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

budgie1645 - look back 3 posts and PM Barry with your email address - you may receive a present.

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 19:43:36 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Shackeng

How do I send Barry a PM?

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 20:17:19 #58 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Shackeng - 1 minute ago  » 
    How do I send Barry a PM?

Welcome to the Forum

I have sent you one, see top right of forum page

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 20:19:49 #59 |
  10. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

In the top right of the forum, under 'You are logged in!', click on '0 new messages'. This will take you to the PM screen. Select Barry from the drop down list.

edit: Barry too quick for me again!

| Sun 29 Jul 2012 20:20:15 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.