My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

out of range

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

chemblue

Hi

Connected laptop to TV with HDMI cable taken out of freesat box. Re-connected and now unable to get connection to TV - comes up out of range error on TV

Can anyone assist.

Look forward to hearing form you.

| Sat 8 Nov 2014 22:33:24 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Possibly the laptop sending an video resolution not compatible with the TV. What make and model of TV is it? What video resolution is the laptop sending?

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 8:34:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

David01608

I also have an "HDMI Out of range" problem but, in my case, it's with a new Humax DTR-T1010 YouView box (which, incidentally, works fine via a SCART cable).

My TV (a Technika LCD19-907) works fine with my older Humax HDR-FOX T2 FreeView box when connected via the Humax-supplied HDMI cable. However, when the same HDMI cable is swapped over to the YouView box, things work only for about a minute after switching the box on. During this brief period, the Humax logo screen is displayed perfectly, but this is then replaced by an "HDMI Out of range" message once the box has "woken up".

The two boxes are set to the same HDMI resolution (1080p), but one works fine via HDMI whilst the other doesn't. Humax Technical Support got me to reset the YouView box to factory settings in Maintenance Mode, using the SCART cable, but agreed to a warranty replacement when this failed to solve the problem; the replacement box performed identically, however. They now want me to return the second box for "repair", but the logic of this escapes me: if the same problem is experienced with two different boxes, it seems to me unlikely that there is much to repair. The issue is presumably one of compatibility with my TV, although it is curious that another Humax box, albeit a different model, does not have the same problem.

I have to say that I am less than impressed with Humax Tech Support: they clearly work to scripts, and seem incapable of thinking "outside the box". The guy with whom I spoke seemed fazed by technical terms (such as "resolution"!), yet was unwilling to let me speak with his supervisor. The key question, I should have thought, is: how does the HDMI specification of the YouView box differ from that of the FreeView box? I should have expected any "tech" company to provide a 2nd-tier Tech Support capability able to take this forward without the need for the product to be returned for "repair".

Anyone any ideas??

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 19:44:51 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

David01608 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I also have an "HDMI Out of range" problem but, in my case, it's with a new Humax DTR-T1010 YouView box (which, incidentally, works fine via a SCART cable).
    My TV (a Technika LCD19-907) works fine with my older Humax HDR-FOX T2 FreeView box when connected via the Humax-supplied HDMI cable. However, when the same HDMI cable is swapped over to the YouView box, things work only for about a minute after switching the box on. During this brief period, the Humax logo screen is displayed perfectly, but this is then replaced by an "HDMI Out of range" message once the box has "woken up".
    The two boxes are set to the same HDMI resolution (1080p), but one works fine via HDMI whilst the other doesn't. Humax Technical Support got me to reset the YouView box to factory settings in Maintenance Mode, using the SCART cable, but agreed to a warranty replacement when this failed to solve the problem; the replacement box performed identically, however. They now want me to return the second box for "repair", but the logic of this escapes me: if the same problem is experienced with two different boxes, it seems to me unlikely that there is much to repair. The issue is presumably one of compatibility with my TV, although it is curious that another Humax box, albeit a different model, does not have the same problem.
    I have to say that I am less than impressed with Humax Tech Support: they clearly work to scripts, and seem incapable of thinking "outside the box". The guy with whom I spoke seemed fazed by technical terms (such as "resolution"!), yet was unwilling to let me speak with his supervisor. The key question, I should have thought, is: how does the HDMI specification of the YouView box differ from that of the FreeView box? I should have expected any "tech" company to provide a 2nd-tier Tech Support capability able to take this forward without the need for the product to be returned for "repair".
    Anyone any ideas??

Does the Youview box work OK when set to 1080i ? There's no need to set 1080p, the only difference is which item of kit de-interlaces. The resolution is the same. If you change the HDR FOX T2 to output 1080i can you see any difference ?

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 19:56:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

If I remember correctly, there was a known issue with Technika TVs. This would be a YouView problem, so you might want to ring YouView Support (0333 313 2278) and they may be able to help.

Although the Fox T2 and the YouView box are both manufactured by Humax, much of the YouView box was designed by YouView, not Humax. There are many differences between the two boxes.

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 20:36:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Found it

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/cant_setup_tv_says_not_supported

Don't know if it's the same issue but the thread may be worth a read.

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 21:10:23 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

David01608

Thanks to you both.

I read in a 2-year-old post at another forum that the earlier T1000 YouView box generates 720p during the initial part of its boot sequence, then changes to 1080p; I've therefore tried setting up the T1010 at 1080p, 1080i and 720p, but none of these settings seems to work with my TV. I'm prepared to accept that the deficiency lies with the TV, but I should really like to understand what it is, and whether it has a solution other than replacing the TV.

Humax Tech Support deny that this is a known issue, and are disparaging about the various support forums (?fora), but I know which inspires greater confidence!

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 21:10:51 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's a YouView issue, not Humax.

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 21:39:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

David01608

I'm afraid I disagree, James: I purchased a Humax-branded product from HumaxDirect, so I believe this makes it a Humax issue. Whether or not it was designed by Humax is surely immaterial: it is incumbent upon Humax to ensure that its branded products perform as advertised, and to provide adequate technical support for them in the event of problems. If an issue has been aired in public-domain forums for more than two years, I should have expected Humax, rather than dismissing it, either to have sorted it by now or to make clear to prospective customers the specification required of a TV for it to interface correctly (especially when other Humax-branded products interface to the same TV without problem). Thus far, nobody, least of all Humax Tech Support, has been able to explain to me precisely what the problem is. I'd be fascinated to learn how BT handles this issue, which must presumably arise with BT-branded versions of the same product.

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 23:42:49 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

HumaxDirect is your retailer, and is the party you should contact should you wish to request return, repair or refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

Humax itself, as manufacturer, is responsible for fulfilling the terms of the manufacturer's guarantee.

But as far as support is concerned, it's a grey area. The YouView boxes are manufactured by Humax to YouView's specification, under contractual arrangements between YouView and Humax. Most of the programming comes from YouView, not Humax, and it's YouView who decides what's going to receive attention. So ithere's no point in blaming Humax for your problem. There's nothing they can do about it, apart from offer a swap. The suggestion of a repair, as you rightly surmised, was not well-founded.

The situation with BT-branded boxes is similar, only with another level of complexity.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 0:33:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.