My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

picture size of movies does not fill tv screen

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

h.barlow

[i]I cannot view in full screen movies,recorded or live.All other programs are ok.I have tried to adjust picture settings on my tv and Hunax hdr1000s.Any ideas?

| Fri 3 Oct 2014 10:25:52 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Might need a bit more info !

Are you saying you want to make letter box movies (black bars top and bottom) in to full screen 16/9 ?

Obviously letterboxing preserves the film's original aspect ratio.

| Fri 3 Oct 2014 10:36:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

...and fullscreening a letterbox movie most often destroys the aspect ratio and you lose edge detail. Playing with this while watching a DVD I've seen whole characters disappear off of the picture, ruining the scene.
    So why do you want to do it?

| Fri 3 Oct 2014 11:06:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

h.barlow - 2 hours ago  » 
    [i]I cannot view in full screen movies,recorded or live.All other programs are ok.I have tried to adjust picture settings on my tv and Hunax hdr1000s.Any ideas?

What make is your TV, and which settings have you tried?

Can you give an example (with channel and dates) of what does work and what doesn't?

| Fri 3 Oct 2014 12:47:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

taffadill

hi i have the same problem,it happens with a few channells i tried watching itv 4 earlier and it happened again.
    these programs can be watched ok on freeview on my tellyvision

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 18:55:09 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

All depends on the broadcast format and your STB and TV settings.
    You need to decide if formats that don't fill the screen should loose prospective and be stretched or not.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 19:54:14 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

taffadill - 1 hour ago  » 
    hi i have the same problem,it happens with a few channells i tried watching itv 4 earlier and it happened again.
    these programs can be watched ok on freeview on my tellyvision

If you want to view a 4:3 format picture on a 16:9 display without black bars at the sides there are only really two options.

1 Keep the picture the same height and stretch it sideways to fit. As a result a circular object will appear oval (wider than it is tall), and people will look short and fat.

2 Magnify the image equally in all directions such that the sides now meet the edges of the 16:9 display. This of course pushes pixels of the top/bottom or both, off the screen. A figure filling the screen may lose their head and legs and any subtitles will be chopped off.

Similar applies to content wider than 16:9, to see the whole content without distorting it by stretching it vertically you have black bars top and bottom.

If a 4:3 picture from Freeview fills a 16:9 display you must be using settings that are either option 1 or 2.

Most would rather see the whole image with bars rather than a distorted image.

| Wed 29 Oct 2014 20:21:20 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.