My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Playback freeze;channel missing/scrambled

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Hi Humax people (but especially tech savvy geniae)
    Intro.
    I was recently given a FoxSat HDR 500. It was bought in September 2013. A month before the guarantee ran out I had a problem with receiving and viewing a signal. Sent the machine back and have had it back 2 weeks.
    Problem
    Since getting the box back super reception and viewing. However, when I play back a recorded film I get the error message, "Channel scrambled or unavailable" Playback starts and then after some minutes (variable) either the message comes up or playback freezes.
    Steps I have taken
    Contacted Humax technical support who told me to reset machine and then later do a HDD format. Did both of these with no improvement. Latest statement from them is, "The hard drive is likely corrupted then, and it would appear we didn't get to it in time. It happens when a recording fails and then is no longer recognised by the unit, but proceeds to cause hang up issues and future failed recordings and live interference." Should send back.
    Read and searched in forum on HDD errors and solutions.
    Current thinking requiring help
    Should I remove hard drive and attach to laptop and reformat? Help needed/links on doing this.
    Should I buy a new one? If so what (larger disk, make and model)?
    What steps to install new drive?

Thank you for any help or pointers to info. I may have missed.

| Mon 1 Dec 2014 16:04:57 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Your problem with viewing and receiving a signal - on which channel was it? Remember some channels do not broadcast 24hrs.

You movie playback problem - The movie was recorded by the current unit? Channel details would be interesting. Does this happen with all or some?

I would also check the signal quality on your main channels and channel 999 which also carries a lot of programme data. It would be an good idea to do the tests twice - on the second time start a recording (anything) and then change to the channel you want to test. Think will show any differences when LNB2 is used.

| Mon 1 Dec 2014 17:50:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Thanks for getting back so fast. I will try and answer your questions.
    1) The problem with viewing and receiving signals was a general problem with the box. I.e. the satellite, LNB and cable set up was checked by a professional who found no problem with the signal on several channels particularly C5. When I returned to a Sky box reception and viewing were perfect. When the box returned from Humax all channels good with 100% strength and quality.

2) Yes the movie was recorded with the current unit. The first time the error arose (and remember I have only had the box really operational during the last 2-3 weeks after its long stay at Humax repair) was Film 4. To be fair I can't say for sure what other channels I have recorded. I can try several others for comparison.

3) OK will try out your last suggestion and get back with any info.

Many thanks again

| Mon 1 Dec 2014 18:47:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Update. Tried out your suggestions on signal quality and recording. No significant changes spotted. Quality and strength remain 90% or higher. However, have started to record programmes from a range of channels to see if that makes a difference. Is Film 4 scrambled?

| Wed 3 Dec 2014 17:06:09 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No channels on the Freesat epg are encrypted (which is what I assume you mean by scrambled). If you tune to Film 4 can't you see the picture ?

can you also check the following ?

974 Channel 4
    301 Film4 +1
    125 More4 +1

Can you also check signal strength/quality when tuned to any of the above ?

| Wed 3 Dec 2014 17:12:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Yes, all channels are viewable with good quality/strength. Film 4 and the other channels listed above all come in at 90% on both readings. Additional recording info:
    1) Recording 30 mins BBC 2 Monday 18:00-18:30 Played back no freezes
    2) Recording 60 mins ITV4+1 Tuesday 11:00-12:00 Played back 20 mins and then froze with message, "Channel scrambled or not available" i.e. the same playback problem

| Wed 3 Dec 2014 19:44:36 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Important - before you do this check you can use the freesat info channel on 999. If you cannot don't do the reset, instead post the results you get from Menu - Systems - Diagnostics (signal strength/quality) while tuned to 999.

Next to try if you can access 999.

Make a note of your recording schedule (if you have a digital camera photograph it).

Now carry out a reset to factory defaults (before you ask your existing recordings will not be deleted, but you will need to re-enter your recording schedule)

| Wed 3 Dec 2014 21:43:58 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Thanks for your further ideas. 999 is viewable, menus work, and diagnostics reveal 90% quality and 100% strength. Have carried out a reset.

Do you think it is a signal problem and not a hard drive fault?

| Thu 4 Dec 2014 9:14:00 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

terraposse - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for your further ideas. 999 is viewable, menus work, and diagnostics reveal 90% quality and 100% strength. Have carried out a reset.
    Do you think it is a signal problem and not a hard drive fault?

Having established your signal is OK the hard disk is the obvious candidate.

Fitting a new hard disk isn't difficult. You need a AV specced drive like this one

http://www.dabs.com/products/wd-1tb-av-gp-sata-6gb-s-3-5--64mb-hard-drive-8BKQ.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Components%20and%20Storage%20-%20Hard%20Drives%20-%20Internal%20Hard%20Drives

You will also need to fit a jumper to pins 5 & 6 to reduce the data transfer rate.

The box will auto set up drives up to 1TB in size.

| Thu 4 Dec 2014 10:24:47 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

terraposse

Hi Graham
    Thanks again. OK will order new hard drive. It seems straight forward. Does one get a jumper set in the box or is that something I get elsewhere?

Regards Terraposse

| Thu 4 Dec 2014 11:10:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.