My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Poor Sound on DTR2000/500GB

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

I have found the sound on a Sony Bravia HDTV using the DTR2000 to connect to it is poor using the HDMI connection. The picture is excellant, but the sound is low and muffled. I have to turn both the Bravia and the Humax sound up to over 70 on each to hear programmes satisfactorily. Is this common? Are there any things that can be done to improve it?

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 15:38:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Hi rwsjr - when I had a YouView box (a T1000) I turned the volume on my Samsung TV up to 100 and then used the YouView volume controls to adjust the sound to my liking. Or you could do it the other way round.

Though it never was very good, due to the lousy speakers in flatscreen TVs. Eventually I splashed out on a soundbase, which solved the problem (for me).

| Fri 14 Nov 2014 16:10:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

Thanks James for your experience. I guess it much be a common problem, so I suppose I have to live with it. I wondered if a SCART connection might be better, but then the picture would not be scaled up. Regards.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 15:29:56 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

rwsjr - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks James for your experience. I guess it much be a common problem, so I suppose I have to live with it. I wondered if a SCART connection might be better, but then the picture would not be scaled up. Regards.

To clarify, in my case it was a problem with the TV speakers, not a problem with the YouView box.

Do you find the sound quality (not the volume) is worse when you're using the YouView box as source, than it is when using the TV as source? If so, that might suggest you have a different problem, maybe to do with the settings.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 17:17:25 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rwsjr - 1 hour ago  » 

Everything you input to a HD TV is scaled up or down to match the screen. If it wasn't you would have a tiny picture in the middle of the screen. The issue with scart is that it can't deliver a HD source in HD. So the Box downscales to 576i for scart and the TV scales it back up again to 1080i (losing picture detail in the process).

It's possible for SD sourced content to look better over scart (it depends on whether the TV or Box has the best video scaler).

In respect of Audio, the quality depends on the DAC used (Digital Audio Converter). When you use HDMI the TV has to do the conversion from digital to analogue, when scart is used the BOX does the conversion.

If the DAC is poor in the TV that together with poor speakers (common to all flat screen TV's) will combine to make the sound poor.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 17:29:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

The sound quality is much worse when the YouView box is the source; I can adjust the sound settings on the sony Bravia TV so it is acceptable. When I am viewing through the YouView box, it is definitely worse. I can't see any way of adjusting any sound settings on the YouView box itself.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 17:47:19 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rwsjr - 15 minutes ago  » 
    The sound quality is much worse when the YouView box is the source; I can adjust the sound settings on the sony Bravia TV so it is acceptable. When I am viewing through the YouView box, it is definitely worse. I can't see any way of adjusting any sound settings on the YouView box itself.

Is the sound better, worse or the same when using scart to connect the Youview box ? Have you tried turning up the sound volume using the Youview box remote and then using the TV remote to control the volume ?

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 18:04:42 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

rwsjr - 21 minutes ago  » 

Try adjusting the TV sound settings while you're using the YouView box as the source.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 18:12:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

Using the HMDI that's pretty much what I have been doing. I don't intend to use a SCART connection. I have the TV sound set to its best settings and the volume very high. Then I am adjusting the actual programme volume using the YouView remote. This procedure gets the best sound I can get from the TV using the Humax as the source. It's just a nuisance having to manipulate two remotes all the time. So, if I want something better, I suppose I will have to install an external sound system. I just wondered if this issue was endemic to Humax YouView boxes or if there was something faulty with mine. it seems to be a Humax manufacturing problem in the YouView box's sound qualities, something Humax ought to address. Thanks to both of you for your input here.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 19:20:08 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

You need to set the TV sound settings for the YouView box.. As it's a Sony Bravia, it almost certainly allows you to have separate settings for the TV's own sound and the sound that is input to the TV by each HDMI source. Very likely you have the right settings for the TV's own sound, but if you've made no adjustments, the TV may be using incorrect sound settings for the sound it receives from the YouView box.

If you have a look at your TV manual, it should cover this.

it seems to be a Humax manufacturing problem in the YouView box's sound qualities, something Humax ought to address.
    If that were so, there would be thousands of complaints. It's always possible you have a faulty box but you can't know whether that's the case until you rule out other possible causes.

| Sat 15 Nov 2014 19:44:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.