My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Portable Hard Drive for HDR-FOX T2.

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim

HI everyone, Jim here new member.
    What portable hard drive does anyone reccomend for adding to my HDR-FOX T2...Thank's.

| Tue 27 May 2014 1:26:00 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Hi Jim, Welcome to our Forum

Portable HDD - I have long term tested WD passport up to and incl 1TB, and a Seagate Freeeagent 250 GB without issue.

Currently testing a Seagate Slim 500GB - might be some issues with that one - not always recognised when unit boots.

| Tue 27 May 2014 9:26:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Just to add to what Barry has said someone over at hummy.tv recently reported that some 4TB USB drives will work. Usually the limit for an MBR formatted drive is 2TB (with 512 byte sectors) but the USB interface presents the drive as having 4kB sectors to the Humax which raises the maximum size limit to 16TB.

| Tue 27 May 2014 9:56:45 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have two portable USB3 drives. One a 500GB WD one and the other a 2TB Toshiba one. My HDR FOX T2 front port doesn't provide enough current to use either unless you get a dual power usb cable and plug the spare plug into a usb charger. Both work just fine with a HDR10000S. Whether my HDR FOX T2 has a lower power output than normal I am not sure. It works fine with usb2 portable drives.

| Tue 27 May 2014 11:46:23 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

That's strange Graham, a WD passport 1TB USB3 works fine using front port on one of my units?

| Tue 27 May 2014 12:34:56 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barry - 6 minutes ago  » 
    That's strange Graham, a WD passport 1TB USB3 works fine using front port on one of my units?

It could be just my unit. It's not an issue really as I just use the HDR1000S. To use either with my Nexus 7 I simply power the drive with a pebble portable mobile phone charger.

| Tue 27 May 2014 12:43:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 23 minutes ago  » 
    I have two portable USB3 drives. One a 500GB WD one and the other a 2TB Toshiba one. My HDR FOX T2 front port doesn't provide enough current to use either unless you get a dual power usb cable and plug the spare plug into a usb charger. Both work just fine with a HDR10000S. Whether my HDR FOX T2 has a lower power output than normal I am not sure. It works fine with usb2 portable drives.

Do the 2 drives claim to be USB2 compatible?
    Being USB3 should not make any difference providing it is classed as USB2 compatible. The USB3 specification states that for a manufacturer to claim that a drive is USB2 compatible then when in USB2 mode it must be compatible with the USB2 specification for both the data interface and the power demands.

My HDR-FOX T2s use a couple of different makes/models of USB3 portable drives without any issues:
    • Buffalo MiniStation 1TB
    • WD My Passport 1TB

My HDR-FOX T2s mainly use a buffalo.
    The user guide for the HDR-FOX T2 states that the total of the usb ports is for a maximum of 800Ma, however I have successfully copied over from 1 drive to the other. However I have only done this once as I don't want to risk stressing the HDR-FOX T2.

| Tue 27 May 2014 12:51:53 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 3 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 23 minutes ago  » 

Do the 2 drives claim to be USB2 compatible?
    Being USB3 should not make any difference providing it is classed as USB2 compatible. The USB3 specification states that for a manufacturer to claim that a drive is USB2 compatible then when in USB2 mode it must be compatible with the USB2 specification for both the data interface and the power demands.
    My HDR-FOX T2s use a couple of different makes/models of USB3 portable drives without any issues:
    • Buffalo MiniStation 1TB
    • WD My Passport 1TB
    My HDR-FOX T2s mainly use a buffalo.
    The user guide for the HDR-FOX T2 states that the total of the usb ports is for a maximum of 800Ma, however I have successfully copied over from 1 drive to the other. However I have only done this once as I don't want to risk stressing the HDR-FOX T2.

Yes both are usb2 compatible. They work fine with the HDR FOX T2 provided you boost the available power. The usb3 spec has built in backward compatibility but also allows a higher current consumption than usb2. Both work fine using a usb2 port on my laptop.

| Tue 27 May 2014 12:57:11 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » 
    The usb3 spec has built in backward compatibility but also allows a higher current consumption than usb2.

Not when it is being used in USB2 it hasn't. Or rather, shouldn't. If it does then it is not USB3 compliant.

| Tue 27 May 2014 23:32:11 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.