My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Possible Corrupt File Issue

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

Hi, I know this problem has been mentioned before never quite like this. It's a long story.

I've had my T2 for a while now with no problems. Halfway through watching a program I'd recorded, the picture just went like it was an aerial issue. I thought nothing of it, deleted the program and that was that. It was not on the recorded menu.

The next day, somehow, the program had undeleted itself, along with two other previously watched programs. I tried to delete them, but they wouldn't delete. I then notice the 'delete' caption on the top corner was permanently on. So I thought it was a delete loop. But my other program's that I have saved on record are fine. No matter how long I leave it on, they are unaffected. I left it a while, switched it off, unplugged it, left it for 15 minutes, plugged it back in, switched on, delete caption still there.

I then discover no program's are recording, there's a red light and everything it normal except it doesn't appear in the recording list. So I downgraded the software to 1.01.09, and the 'delete' caption went off.

I restored it to factory default. I was then able to delete again, although it takes two minutes to delete a 30 minute program, and record, which also takes a lifetime. But one program will not delete, and it's the one which I thought had an aerial issue. The program is in a folder and will not play.

I believe the problem may lie with that recording which may be corrupt. That's the one that initially triggered the 'delete' caption. It's TS file extension is visible, which I thought was odd.

Reluctantly, I decided to wipe the HDD, which will rid the box of the file, but I can't even do that. My external hard-drive, even when formatted correctly can't be recognised by the Freeview. I have many, many recordings that I don't want to lose, but I've ran out of ideas.

I'm hoping that if I can get rid of that file I can upgrade to the latest software, 1.02.29, and won't have the delete or record issue. I really don't want to format the hard-drive, even if I could work out how to get them off the box it would take weeks. I've heard that connecting it to the internet may help somehow (although I have no idea how), but I can't physically connect it to the internet and I don't think I have a wi-fi option on 1.01.09.

I know I may need to format and lose everything, but is there something I haven't thought of? Any help would be appreciated.

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 14:43:30 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Your only alternative to a format is to install the custom firmware which will allow you to delete any files and also perform a file system integrity check (fsck) which sounds very advisable to me.

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 17:28:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

Sorry to sound a bit dumb, but how would I go about doing that?

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 18:25:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

BB1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Sorry to sound a bit dumb, but how would I go about doing that?

You need to do some reading at Custom firmware wiki

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 20:47:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

After I read your initial post I started Googling and for last few hours I've been trying to use this custom firmware. It does not work. I have used so many versions and it will only work, I imagine, with this internet connection that I'm unable to get hooked up to it. It has the 'updating' software screen, so it clearly installs it, but I imagine it's the lack of internet why it won't work.

There is another file where you can install a 'delete-loop' fix without an internet connection, but that just doesn't work at all.

I've since re-upgraded the software to the latest version and I'm able to delete, but I'm now stuck with the 'delete' caption and I can't record anything.

I'll either have to see if there's something else in that link you gave me in your second post that I have missed or try and get an internet connection.

Before you mentioned it, I'd never heard of this firmware stuff and it's really given me hope that I might have a chance to fix the problem. I appreciate that help.

| Tue 9 Oct 2012 22:14:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

Okay, I've got the internet all connected but the web interface isn't working. The internet is connected and everything else is fine, but the website will not work. It gives me a list of collected errors:

Cannot create directory. Read-only file system.
    Failed to download [file], wget returned 1.
    Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.

Error retrieving package list from the internet. Please check your connection and try again.

As I said, internet connection is working well and the freeview says its connected to the internet. It's been like this ALL day and I just don't know what to do. Is there an alternative to the web interface?

| Wed 10 Oct 2012 16:43:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

BB1 - 1 minute ago  » 
    The internet is connected and everything else is fine, but the website will not work. It gives me a list of collected errors:
    Cannot create directory. Read-only file system.
    Failed to download [file], wget returned 1.
    Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
    Error retrieving package list from the internet. Please check your connection and try again.

You really should, in this specific instance, go over to hummy.tv and ask for help in the custom firmware forum where the experts reside.

| Wed 10 Oct 2012 16:46:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

I'll check it out now, thanks.

I've actually just connected it to an aerial and it's doing a few more things than it was. I didn't think something so simple would affect it. Fingers crossed I might've stumbled upon something.

| Wed 10 Oct 2012 17:04:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB1

The solution explained:

Hook up the freeview to the internet using an ethernet cable. I wouldn't worry about what an ethernet cable is (I just picked the first cable I found that fitted).

Make sure everything is connected to the freeview as if it was normal. Scart lead connected to the freeview and to the TV, freeview plugged in, aerial connected (this is vital - it will not work without the aerial [time/clock issue, I believe]).

Go to Google and type in custom firmware hummy. Click the second result and download the latest official Humax firmware and the latest customized firmware. Unzip the official firmware, drag the white file in the folder onto a USB stick and plug that into the freeview. The freeview should be completely switched off, even the on/off switch at the back. Switch it back on and the firmware will install. Do this all again but with the customized firmware.

Then press 'TV Portal' on the remote control. It should be next to the zero, but if it isn't, don't worry, it'll be somewhere on your remote. Lot's of things will happen on your TV, but it's just connecting to the internet. This is all trivial, but it's just a check to see if all is dandy.
    Go to Google and type in PuTTY telnet, click the first link, go to the downloads page and download the correct version.

Click on the download and it'll open up. Make sure the 'telnet' option is selected and put into the white box at the top your IP address for your freeview (settings > system > internet setting > configure LAN > IP address).

Press open and you'll get a black box. You must switch off your freeview (but not completely, leave it switched on at the back). Visit this site -

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Fixes_/_Work_Arounds_for_Known_Bugs#Humax_is_permanently_Deleting

Click on Fix-Disk and follow those instructions. Type what's in yellow and then hit enter/return. It'll do the rest.

All should now work.

| Wed 10 Oct 2012 22:20:34 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.