My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Problem: Box won't start up.. Any ideas?

(19 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ratae - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hello anyone, I have the Humax Foxsat HD box start up problem too, it’s currently about 10minutes.
    I have ordered the capacitors and am sufficiently confident I can replace them.
    My query/problem is that I have the box running a motorised dish via the hidden menus. What I don’t know is what the box will remember after it’s plugged back in, what satellite do I leave the dish pointing at, and does it make any difference.
    Any info on re-installastion would be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Ratae

All the settings are retained in VVRAM (Non volatile Random Access Memory- AKA Flash Memory). Changing the power supply capacitors is no different to disconnecting the box from the mains or an extended power cut. It should work as it did before the capacitors died.

I don't it think it matters where the dish is pointing, selecting a Freesat channel should move it to 28.2E regardless of where it is pointing.

Welcome to the forum

| Wed 8 Oct 2014 17:58:20 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ratae

Thank you graham1thompson. A very prompt reply.

It’s a relief to me to know it should work as before. I did not install the dish, it was done (professionaly) by a local shop who set everything up. It’s been O/K, good signal strength on all the satellites. Now you have resolved my query I’m happy to replace the capacitors when they arrive.
    Thanks too for the welcome to the forum, something I will use again when neccasry.

Kind Regards
    Ratae

| Thu 9 Oct 2014 13:16:02 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Good morning all, after several years happy Humax usage (mainly on 2nd user boxes ... Foxsat HD and HDR1100's) I think I have a faulty box.

Have read the thread and I think my problem is described above and it's the capacitor issue. Should say I've not opened the box yet but just wanted a brief revisit...make sure I've read correctly.

I plug in and power up and the outer green dashes and corner LED's rotate in a circular pattern (I guess indicating it is trying to initiate) but continue to do that indefinitely.

I read on another site that it could be a firmware lost or corrupted. I tried find the firmware on Humax but struggled find it anywhere. Maybe it's a little too old now.

But then in this more detailed thread it's pointing to the capacitor.

More than happy to try this repair but just wanted to get a quick heads up if my symptoms point o the capacitor issue or the firmware one please?

Many thanks in advance for your support

| Thu 8 Feb 2018 10:48:20 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

atacama40 - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Good morning all, after several years happy Humax usage (mainly on 2nd user boxes ... Foxsat HD and HDR1100's) I think I have a faulty box.
    Have read the thread and I think my problem is described above and it's the capacitor issue. Should say I've not opened the box yet but just wanted a brief revisit...make sure I've read correctly.
    I plug in and power up and the outer green dashes and corner LED's rotate in a circular pattern (I guess indicating it is trying to initiate) but continue to do that indefinitely.
    I read on another site that it could be a firmware lost or corrupted. I tried find the firmware on Humax but struggled find it anywhere. Maybe it's a little too old now.
    But then in this more detailed thread it's pointing to the capacitor.
    More than happy to try this repair but just wanted to get a quick heads up if my symptoms point o the capacitor issue or the firmware one please?
    Many thanks in advance for your support

The constantly rotating arrows is typical symptom of failed capacitor in power supply.

It's likely you have latest firmware already

http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freesat-hd

| Thu 8 Feb 2018 11:29:50 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Morning Graham and thanks for the heads up .... yep it's a trip up to Maplin for me now then.

Thanks for clarifying and also thanks for the link .... I entirely failed to find that. yes I think it was up to date, we are fairly diligent on updates. This one has sat a good while unused which has not helped.

Will let you know how I get on but thanks as always for the direction. Appreciated.

Andrew

| Thu 8 Feb 2018 11:36:04 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

atacama40 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Morning Graham and thanks for the heads up .... yep it's a trip up to Maplin for me now then.
    Thanks for clarifying and also thanks for the link .... I entirely failed to find that. yes I think it was up to date, we are fairly diligent on updates. This one has sat a good while unused which has not helped.
    Will let you know how I get on but thanks as always for the direction. Appreciated.
    Andrew

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-foxsat-power-supply-repair-kit-fixes-no-boot-green-circling-on-display-/201355421738

| Thu 8 Feb 2018 11:40:04 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Cheers Graham ... that's a great link, I love folks who do these sort of kits, think of the landfill reduced if we could get that sort of data out there big scale.

In fact before you were kind enough to send that, I opened the box and sure enough C12 blown at the top.

I looked on line for a circuit diagram and found this little article on line.... is quite nice format (especially for those us of us a little lower down the tech ladder)....

http://humax-foxsat-not-booting.webs.com/

Nothing new data wise but the format is a nice step though.

I'm about to do a buy now on the item you kindly sent and I have high confidence of a working box early next week.

Many thanks yet again. A clear way forward were once there was darkness

Cheers

Andrew

| Thu 8 Feb 2018 12:58:19 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Hi Graham....just to let you know the solution and the indeed the kit you suggested worked perfectly.....easy to do and a total solution. Perfect world.

Many thanks again graham, worked a treat.

And to anyone wandering if it's worth to do or throw.....100% do it ...simple, effective and great value.

| Tue 20 Feb 2018 17:49:41 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

atacama40 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Graham....just to let you know the solution and the indeed the kit you suggested worked perfectly.....easy to do and a total solution. Perfect world.
    Many thanks again graham, worked a treat.
    And to anyone wandering if it's worth to do or throw.....100% do it ...simple, effective and great value.

Thanks for letting us know.

| Tue 20 Feb 2018 19:04:43 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.