My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR-9200T clone drive?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

optics42

Maybe jumping the gun (if help is on its way) but could it be possible to do a sector-by-sector clone from a working 9200 drive to a replacement drive using the IDE bus on an XP PC?

If it is, would someone please advise on the software to use?

Thank you

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 12:21:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

optics42 - 5 hours ago  » 
    Maybe jumping the gun (if help is on its way) but could it be possible to do a sector-by-sector clone from a working 9200 drive to a replacement drive using the IDE bus on an XP PC?

Why would you want to do that? Put a new drive in and format it. Job done.

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 17:36:53 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

optics42 - 9 hours ago  » 
    If it is, would someone please advise on the software to use?
    Thank you

I'm assuming you want to keep your recorded programmes. On computers I use EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition with complete success cloning Windows XP, 7 and Linux operating systems onto the same size or larger destination disks. The disk clone software runs from a CD so the machine operating system is dormant. This is something I've thought of playing with myself but haven't got round to it yet.

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 22:25:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Biggles - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm assuming you want to keep your recorded programmes.

No his drive has died. I think he was asking about cloning somebody else's disk because some clown at Humax Technical support had told him the software was on the disk; sigh.

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 23:43:28 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Martin Liddle - 24 minutes ago  » 

Biggles - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm assuming you want to keep your recorded programmes.

No his drive has died. I think he was asking about cloning somebody else's disk because some clown at Humax Technical support had told him the software was on the disk; sigh.

Ah now I see his other posts, sorry. Still the software link is useful, I did look at Clonezilla but it frightened me.

| Thu 1 May 2014 0:11:19 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

optics42

Update:

I ran the Seagate (SeaTools) suite on the offending HDD and it passed the Basic,S.M.A.R.T and Surface checks. Formatted the drive to Fat32 and put it back in the 9200.

The Humax now thinks the drive is OK, possibly only a temporary reprieve but there were over 60Gb of orphaned chains on drive...maybe confusing the system??

... will get in a new IDE drive anyway ~ £15.

Thanks again for the feedback and help I've received.

| Thu 1 May 2014 9:50:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

optics42 - 18 minutes ago  » 
    The Humax now thinks the drive is OK, possibly only a temporary reprieve but there were over 60Gb of orphaned chains on drive...maybe confusing the system??

No the Humax may refuse to do anything useful with the drive but it will still recognise its presence. I would think a bad connection is more likely. How did you detect the 60GB of orphaned chains?

| Thu 1 May 2014 10:11:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

optics42

>>How did you detect the 60GB of orphaned chains?

I put the HDD on the XP bus and ran humaxchech.exe which gave me 2 sets of 11 digit numbers (24,... and 53,...) listed as the bytes taken up by orphan chains, but no more information that I could correlate with the information in the humaxcheck help file.

Post the formatting it has recorded 4 programs 2 of which I've checked.

I'll report back if/if not they're still there tomorrow.

Thanks again.

| Thu 1 May 2014 20:13:21 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

optics42 - 1 hour ago  » 
    >>How did you detect the 60GB of orphaned chains?
    I put the HDD on the XP bus and ran humaxchech.exe which gave me 2 sets of 11 digit numbers (24,... and 53,...) listed as the bytes taken up by orphan chains, but no more information that I could correlate with the information in the humaxcheck help file.

OK that makes sense and it does sound as though the file system was pretty confused. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no recordings visible but I would still expect the Humax to recognise the disk. Anyway if Seatools thinks the disk is healthy then you have a good chance of the disk lasting for some time to come.

| Thu 1 May 2014 21:34:02 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

optics42

Thank you Martin.

The drive is dated 7th Feb 2008. Not exactly prehistoric, but I will get a new one, just in case.

| Thu 1 May 2014 22:30:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.