My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR 9300T skipping/ goes out of sync. on playback.

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

manxdavid

My previously reliable 3 year old PVR 9300T has been playing up over the past few months but is getting steadily worse. On playback the picture often skips and goes out of sync. Very annoying making some programmes virtually unwatchable.

After looking around the various forums it seems (unless someone can advise me differently) that the hard disk is on its way out. I'd like to repair the machine if possible as I had so much trouble getting a PVR to work in the first place, seemingly because I'm between two TV areas; I tried Sagem, Bush and Goodman machines before this but none worked properly, so I could do with some advice.

I'm handy with a screwdriver but a complete computer dunce; do you think I could do the job myself after presumably buying the hard disk listed above ^^^. Is it just a case of take the lid off, find the hard disk, unplug, remove, plug in the new one etc?

Will the machine really recognise it and format (?) it without any other programming?

Thanks in advance!

| Wed 20 Aug 2014 23:23:37 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

manxdavid - 1 hour ago  » 
    On playback the picture often skips and goes out of sync. Very annoying making some programmes virtually unwatchable.

You need to be careful that you are diagnosing the problem correctly. If this happens on most recordings then my guess would be that the hard disk is reallocating sectors at a high rate and changing the disk is likely to help. However if recording of some series of programs are fine but other series of programs are problematic then this is a different problem which is an inherent problem with the 9300 and changing the disk will not help.

If you do decide to change the disk then it is straight forward to do but you need to buy a replacement intended for use in PVRs. When you replace the disk then the next time the Humax boots up it will recognise the new drive and offer to format it.

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 0:33:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

manxdavid

I read about people having had trouble with Points of View and BBC3 in the past but it's doing it on all recordings for me now. On a half hour recording, say Coronation St for argument's sake, it'd do it a couple of minutes from the start then be OK, but it's got worse recently. It may do it five or six times through an hour long show now.

I've been looking on eBay and there seem to be quite a few drives like this that the sellers say are for/from PVRs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171300707161?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Would one of those do the job? I really don't want to spend too much incase the machine has other faults and will need replacing anyway.

| Thu 21 Aug 2014 7:21:49 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.