My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR9300T EPG slow to load / not loading correctly

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

Hi,

I've noticed over the last few months that the EPG on my PVR9300T has been much slower (as in taking 3 or 4 hours) to load some channels over 3 or 4 days ahead. This is with the PVR started up from standby, with BBC1 tuned in. I find that tuning the EPG to the target channel can usually accelerate the loading of the EPG for that channel. I've also noticed that the EPG can, at the same time, occasionally lose the schedule for other channels that far ahead.

I thought that there was a software update a while back that caused the PVR to save and restore the EPG over standby. Is this not the case? Just turning on my PVR a few minutes ago, I find that the Channel 5, Channel 4+1, and ITV2+1 for a few hours 3 days hence are all blank. Why should this be the case?

Finally, I've also noticed the PVR failing to record a couple of program instances (one series-recorded) over the last couple of months. I have been wondering if the problem with the EPG might have been the cause.

Any ideas?

(PVR software status is listed as UPTTF 1.00.26, Loader a 4.37, System ID 3023.0000, Update Date July 7 2011)

Thanks

| Mon 11 Nov 2013 19:31:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Kirbett - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    I've noticed over the last few months that the EPG on my PVR9300T has been much slower (as in taking 3 or 4 hours) to load some channels over 3 or 4 days ahead. This is with the PVR started up from standby, with BBC1 tuned in. I find that tuning the EPG to the target channel can usually accelerate the loading of the EPG for that channel. I've also noticed that the EPG can, at the same time, occasionally lose the schedule for other channels that far ahead.

Are you confident that the Humax is tuned only to a single transmitter? One symptom would be channels numbered 800 above. The fix is to do a manual tune using the Biggles instructions at Link to tuning instructions

| Mon 11 Nov 2013 20:12:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

i believe it's only tuned into one receiver. The highest channels are 305 ... 308 & 790 ("Test channel").

| Mon 11 Nov 2013 20:33:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Kirbett - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've also noticed that the EPG can, at the same time, occasionally lose the schedule for other channels that far ahead.

This has been normal for those not on freeview lite the last year. The 9000 series does not have sufficent memory to store all the epg details that are now transmitted.

Please see my previous post for further details http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/blank-epg-1#post-21182

| Mon 11 Nov 2013 21:07:33 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

Well, it's good to know at least what is actually happening and why. Thanks for that info. Looking at the DTT Multiplex list, I could comfortably reduce the number of UHF Channels accessed by the PVR from 6 to 4 (PSB1, PSB2, COM4 and COM6) ... or 3, if I reluctantly abandon the Yesterday channel as well. Is that likely to reduce the EPG data to within the capacity of the PVR 9300T? Or is it time for me to move onto a newer PVR?

| Mon 11 Nov 2013 22:55:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I looked a few months ago concerning if just dropping com5( i.e. ArqA) was still a fix and it was then. I can't remember how many months exactly but I was suprised that the epg did fill completely as I was expecting things to have got worse compared to the end of 2012.

If I were you I'd give it a go and initially just drop com5. Com6 uses more epg space than com5. If dropping com5 does not improve to your satisfaction then try dropping com6 instead.

| Tue 12 Nov 2013 9:26:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

I've dropped Com5/ArqA, and after remembering to recycle the PVR through Standby, I think all may be good now. We shall see. Except that I've now find one channel on Com5 that I might appreciate, so I may well be hunting for a new PVR come the January sales ...

That said, am I right in thinking that more or less ALL 9300s can no longer cope fully with loading the Freeview schedules? I wonder just how many 9300 users out there are pulling their hair out in frustration, or maybe, just dumping their 9300s, through not realising this fact. Would it at least merit a pinned item on this forum with a Topic title highlighting that PVR 9300s (and presumably earlier models also) as a rule can no longer reliably load their EPGs? It might save those users who do come to these forums a lot of hunting and asking ...

| Tue 12 Nov 2013 14:27:39 #7 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Kirbett - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I've dropped Com5/ArqA, and after remembering to recycle the PVR through Standby, I think all may be good now. We shall see. Except that I've now find one channel on Com5 that I might appreciate, so I may well be hunting for a new PVR come the January sales ...
    That said, am I right in thinking that more or less ALL 9300s can no longer cope fully with loading the Freeview schedules? I wonder just how many 9300 users out there are pulling their hair out in frustration, or maybe, just dumping their 9300s, through not realising this fact. Would it at least merit a pinned item on this forum with a Topic title highlighting that PVR 9300s (and presumably earlier models also) as a rule can no longer reliably load their EPGs? It might save those users who do come to these forums a lot of hunting and asking ...

What is the purpose of doing this (highlighted)?

I have a 9200 and my friend a 9300 and while our EPGs are not 100% full the gaps are few and far between. While I don't dispute what Luke says I'm a bit puzzled why the EPG on our machines are almost full.

| Tue 12 Nov 2013 14:54:01 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

Well, when at first, I got the impression that I still had a problem, I extrapolated, possibly incorrectly, from Luke's comment here ... http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/blank-epg-1#post-21255 I may have simply misread the EPG, and unfortunately, since the EPG now appears to be working properly, I can't double check whether that was actually the case without recreating the original problem.

| Tue 12 Nov 2013 18:32:36 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kirbett

Sorry, don't know why my attempt to imbed a link didn't work ...

| Tue 12 Nov 2013 18:35:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.