My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle (R3)

(70 posts)
  1. paulburke

Paul

Hi,

Just realised that too - I was trying to delete folders that have stuff inside them.
    So I deleted all the files inside the folder, and was then able to delete the folder.

I think that I have the original bundle!

| Tue 2 Aug 2011 13:47:28 #49 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you have permissions to all files in a folder deleting the folder should not be a problem.

Given that raydon's bundle is now well packaged with installers and uninstallers I think it would be worth reinstalling with the current release. If you want to do this to keep things tidy I would delete /opt or /mnt/hd4/opt or /media/opt (they are the same thing) then reinstall the packages that you want. You should reflash raydons firmware after deleting /opt.

The installers will be deleted from the usb stick after installing.

| Tue 2 Aug 2011 14:22:48 #50 |
  3. paulburke

Paul

Hi,

Have updated now.
    All seems OK.

Thanks for your help,
    Paul.

| Tue 2 Aug 2011 14:34:45 #51 |
  4. paulburke

Paul

Is this just me!

Come home, Foxsat was already recording from standby. Switched it on normally. Switched on PC, unable to access the Foxsat from PC. Waited for recording to finish and rebooted the Foxsat. Now able to access it!
    Is this normal?

| Wed 10 Aug 2011 14:55:52 #52 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Here is my slightly dated memories on Windows and tcp/ip based networks.
    When samba starts on the HDR it will broadcast its presence to your network. As your PC was having a nap at the time it missed this. Periodically the master browser on your network broadcasts to the subnet asking who is there. (they hold an election, on my network the server a domain controller always wins).

With Windows 7 it seems to takes ages for the PC to see a PC NOT in the same workgroup / domain (By default samaba is set to "Home" and a windows PC "WORKGROUP" this can be changed - see the package readme).

One trick to always show the HDR is to map a network drive to the HDR - then the PC will verify that it is there when you try and do anything.

| Wed 10 Aug 2011 15:37:39 #53 |
  6. paulburke

Paul

Thanks REPASSAC.

Mapped the drive now, so hopefully that will sort it.

| Wed 10 Aug 2011 16:47:45 #54 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

detrosuk

Hi
    I was hoping for a little help installing the various applications from the file "raydon's_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_FoxsatHDR_release_3c.rar". I have uncompressed and followed the instructions to install the initial file "FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf" without issue. However I have not managed to install any of the applications! I have tried in the following ways.
    I copy the installer file (FOXSAT-HDR_install_mediatomb-0.11.0.tar.gz) to a empty USB stick and plugging it into the front USB socket on my Humax whilst it is powered on, have also tried it decompressed "FOXSAT-HDR_install_mediatomb-0.11.0.tar" and also tried it decompressed to point where I get the directories and files listed at the root of my USB stick. Nothing seems to make any difference.

I have also tried with the firmware and the installers (in each of the 3 forms as described above) present on the USB stick and performing the firmware upgrade again, again the upgrade seems to complete but nothing else is installed (nothing is deleted from the USB stick)

Please could someone point me in the right direction, as this whole process seems completely beyond me?

| Sat 13 Aug 2011 20:53:49 #55 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Firstly the USB stick MUST be formatted as FAT32.
    The FOXSAT-HDR_install_mediatomb-0.11.0.tar.gz file and other services you want to install should be placed in the root folder of the USB stick. (do not uncompress them),

If raydon's 3c firmware is installed on the HDR the stick will be seen and the files processed and then deleted then the HDR will reboot.

When you inserted the stick before did the foxsat see it and display the usual USB device connected message or not?

Note: The flashing process is controlled by the loader rather than by the normal HDR Linux operating system and there are known to be differences in USB acceptability and I think also in the exact format of the filing system they will handle (differences in allocation table sizes). So don't assume that if it worked on the flash that it must be OK for the installs.

| Sun 14 Aug 2011 9:27:24 #56 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

YorkshireTv

detrosuk - 18 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    I was hoping for a little help installing the various applications from the file "raydon's_Media_and_File_Server_Bundle_for_FoxsatHDR_release_3c.rar". I have uncompressed and followed the instructions to install the initial file "FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf" without issue. However I have not managed to install any of the applications! I have tried in the following ways.
    I copy the installer file (FOXSAT-HDR_install_mediatomb-0.11.0.tar.gz) to a empty USB stick and plugging it into the front USB socket on my Humax whilst it is powered on, have also tried it decompressed "FOXSAT-HDR_install_mediatomb-0.11.0.tar" and also tried it decompressed to point where I get the directories and files listed at the root of my USB stick. Nothing seems to make any difference.
    I have also tried with the firmware and the installers (in each of the 3 forms as described above) present on the USB stick and performing the firmware upgrade again, again the upgrade seems to complete but nothing else is installed (nothing is deleted from the USB stick)
    Please could someone point me in the right direction, as this whole process seems completely beyond me?

Hi Newbie Alert...

Sorry to hijack the thread but I am also experiencing similar problems to detrosuk and don't know where to begin to resolve the issues.

I have a Foxsat 500gb HDR on version 1:00:15 factory loaded.
    I have downloaded Raydon's excellent rar package and using a FAT32 USB Pen, have loaded the Foxsat-HDR_upgrade.hdf file along with rar files Foxsat-HDR_install_twonky-4.4.18.tar.gz and also Foxsat-HDR_install_telnet.tar.gz. With these files loaded, I have followed this procedure:

i. Put the Foxsat HDR into standby.
    ii. Inserted the USB whilst holding the standby button.
    iii. When P00 shows on display following boot, I have released the standby button.
    iv. When END is shown,the standby button is pressed.
    v. The Foxsat goes into standby and then a further press of the standby button causes the Foxsat HDR to boot.
    vi. The USB is kept in the Foxsat at reboot to read the installers and flash them to the HDR.
    vii. I wait to see if the Foxsat HDR boots again of its own accord but doesn't so I reboot the machine.
    viii. I check the USB pen drive and the installer .rar files have been deleted indicating that they have been written to the Foxsat HDR.
    ix. Using PUTTY I try to connect to the Foxsat HDR using the settings attached in the uploaded JPG attached.
    x. I cannot see the Foxsat on my network (although it has an IP address of 192.168.0.6 allocated by DHCP) nor can I connect to http://Foxsat-HDR:9000 or 192.168.0.6.

I'm not sure what else I can do. I am using Windows 7 Home Professional with Twonkymedia 6.0.32 via a Virginmedia Superhub on 30meg service. Any advice you can give a newbie on where he is going wrong?

Cheers

Attachments

1. putty.jpg (75.8 KB, 0 downloads) 12 years old
    | Sun 14 Aug 2011 15:28:30 #57 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

harlequin

I set my humax to a fixed ip address 192.168.123.103
    I then used telnet and connected to 192.168.123.103
    Then i typed samba start , which started the samba service.
    I then started the ftp service ( vsFTPd ) , and editted the samba conf file @ /opt/etc/smb.conf , and changed the workgroup to workgroup to match all the other pc's on my network. ( workgroup = WORKGROUP )

once telnet is working the others should be easy to start

twonky start
    mediatomb start

| Sun 14 Aug 2011 19:28:22 #58 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.