My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

'recording failed'

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

I've had this message on a couple of occasions when wishing to play back a recording in HD. When I play anyway, there will be a few minutes in the programme when the picture and sound break up, then normal service is restored. Is this probably a transmission problem or a problem with my box? Is it something that happens more with HD than with standard recordings? Can anything be done to prevent it?

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 17:35:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

bookman - 4 hours ago  »  Can anything be done to prevent it?

That will depend on what is causing it.

For a starter it is possible that the HD channels are the newer ones to freeview that are broadcast using a weaker signal.

Which HD channels can the problem appear with?

| Wed 4 Feb 2015 21:40:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

This is a problem I've had with the HD channels - I think the message was lack or loss of signal. I can't remember whether it was all the channels or just the newer ones (eg. BBC4).
    Despite the newer HD channels having a weaker signal - I found that an old RF filter (from Maplins, probably) in the aerial link stopped the problem. Recently I tried removing the filter and the problem returned. (A search with "maplins tv rf filter" on a well known search engine finds a similar item).

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 12:00:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

The problem is with BBC 1 or 2, possibly the south-west version. Basically I have a strong signal. Reviews of the filter on the Maplin website suggest the problem is probably interference from outside. The Amazon website has several similar products designed to stop interference from 4G mobile phones. That would be consistent with an occasional problem in a residential area of reirement bungalows. So I'll try the Maplin filter. Thank you.

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 17:30:25 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bookman - 1 hour ago  » 
    The problem is with BBC 1 or 2, possibly the south-west version. Basically I have a strong signal.

So what is the signal strength as reported by the Humax on the affected channels?

| Thu 5 Feb 2015 19:04:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

bookman - 18 hours ago  » 
    So I'll try the Maplin filter. Thank you.

Please don't take my comments as a recommendation. I'm just pointing out I had a similar problem and that solution has worked for me.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 12:11:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

Thank you. In answer to Martin Liddle,the signal strength reported by the Humax on all the channels I normally use is 67 - 68%.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 12:49:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Further to Martin's question, also which channel numbers.

4G, iirc, affects channels 59 and 60 and filters were supplied free of charge, and still are I think, to those affected by the 4G roll-out.

It'd also be useful to know whether the HD recordings actually have the picture/sound break up on the recording itself or whether it is playback. If the recording is rewound is the break up exactly the same?

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 12:50:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bookman

Replying to Damian, the word 'channel' is clearly used in two different senses. The four channels I normally use (BBC1, 2, ITV, 4 (all normally in HD) are all listed as Channel 55.

It is the recording that is faulty. When I select it to play, I get a message 'Recording failed' and an option to play anyway. Since by then the programme is past,I click to play anyway and hope that the interruption will be very brief. Sometimes it is, sometimes not.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 13:02:42 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bookman - 1 hour ago  » 
    Replying to Damian, the word 'channel' is clearly used in two different senses. The four channels I normally use (BBC1, 2, ITV, 4 (all normally in HD) are all listed as Channel 55.
    It is the recording that is faulty. When I select it to play, I get a message 'Recording failed' and an option to play anyway. Since by then the programme is past,I click to play anyway and hope that the interruption will be very brief. Sometimes it is, sometimes not.

Causes all sorts of confusion.

Channel 55 is the UHF carrier signal used to transmit the HD Multiplex (Centre Frequency 746MHz).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/information/a12613/uhf-channel-and-frequency-guide.html#~p3wcObyIBjwhMO

The channel numbers you enter to view the channels (eg 119 for ITV HD), are more correctly called logical channel numbers, usually abbreviated to lcn.

| Fri 6 Feb 2015 14:44:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.