My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Recording 'skipping'

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AntG

Sometimes when playing a recording (on Humax 9300T) there will be sections where it 'skips' or 'jumps' a few seconds.
    I can occasionally 'rewind', pause at point of the 'jump' and play and then view the section that previously 'skipped'. This does not always work. Can you suggest reasons for this annoying fault, please?

| Fri 2 Aug 2013 12:58:03 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Unfortunately this is a known problem with the 9300 and 9150 models and is mainly seen on recordings of Family Guy and American Dad on BBC3. There have also been reports of other programme recordings having the skipping problem, I think Points Of View was one of them. Humax are aware but I doubt they will do anything about it.

| Fri 2 Aug 2013 20:57:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AntG

Many thanks for your reply. Very helpful but not reassuring.
    I'm grateful. Can you suggest a Humax model which is more reliable?

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 9:58:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

AntG - 1 hour ago  » 

The HDR-FOX T2 does not suffer from this problem and improves on the performance of the older boxes in various ways. There are suggestions that Humax will release a new HD box before too long but no dates or features are available at the moment.

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 11:55:04 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

AntG - 2 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks for your reply. Very helpful but not reassuring.

As a matter of interest what were the programmes you had problems with?

| Sat 3 Aug 2013 12:51:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter_t

Hi
    I have exactly the same problem, with the addition that sometimes the sound goes out-of-sync with the picture.
    I spoke today with Technical Support at the department store where I bought it, and they say this is most likely caused by read/write errors on the hard disk - ie the hard disk needs replacing.
    Have sent it off (it is still under warranty) - so I'll let you know what happens if you are interested.
    Peter T

| Mon 5 Aug 2013 17:42:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

peter_t - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I spoke today with Technical Support at the department store where I bought it, and they say this is most likely caused by read/write errors on the hard disk - ie the hard disk needs replacing.

Does this happen on programs recorded from all channels (in which case the diagnosis sounds right) or is it only on recordings of a particular series?

| Mon 5 Aug 2013 18:08:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter_t

As far as I have been aware it happens on all channels.
    I have no problems with reception or signal strength, only with playing recorded programs. It seems to be worse when it is a longer program eg a film, rather than a short half hour recording - though this is not always the case. The problem started about 3 months ago and has been getting steadily worse. Now some recordings are unwatchable.
    I had hoped reformatting the disk might have helped, but it made no difference.
    Peter T

| Mon 5 Aug 2013 20:21:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

peter_t - 2 hours ago  » 
    I had hoped reformatting the disk might have helped, but it made no difference.

OK I agree this is probably a disk problem. At a guess the Humax is struggling to reallocate a disk sector. The reason a format doesn't help is that the format on the Humax is the equivalent of a quick format on Windows where the disk is not tested and a blank file system is written. Taking the disk out and formatting it in a PC would quite possibly resolve the problem but as the box is under warranty then getting the supplier to sort it out is the correct course of action.

| Mon 5 Aug 2013 22:51:53 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter_t

So much for the warranty!
    Returned the faulty recorder and 2 weeks later received back another faulty 9300T. This one only has one working receiver.
    Humax well down.
    Shan't be buying another Humax if this is what they call a reliable product / customer service.

| Tue 20 Aug 2013 22:51:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.