My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Remote control not responding

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dibblingabout

Hello. I have a PVR9200T and a PVR9300T. The PVR9200T has in recent months become steadily worse at responding to the remote control. It would seem the remote is not at fault since it works fine on the other unit and using the other remote the fault still appears on the PVR9200T. I have now found that when it is in a sulk the front panel controls also fail to respond and whilst trying to diagnose a problem with the EPG I also noticed that the display does not populate during this period. The display of live tv and playback of recordings is not disrupted in any way. It can sulk for a couple of seconds or many seconds, or not sulk at all for many minutes, and it can occur immediately on switch on or hours later. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Version PVR9200T Rev 1.0
    Software Version PGXTF 1.00.23
    Loader a4.09
    Sys ID 3020 0000
    Update Date 20 May 2010

| Tue 30 Sep 2014 12:17:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dibblingabout

Forgot to mention I did perform a default reset.

| Tue 30 Sep 2014 17:15:02 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dibblingabout - 5 hours ago  » 
    The PVR9200T has in recent months become steadily worse at responding to the remote control.

I have no idea; if this has got worse in recent months and playback is OK whilst the box is unresponsive (meaning the hard drive is OK) then I would guess at some sort of developing problem in the electronics that detect the signals from the remote (there are occasional problem reports for the later HDR-FOX T2 of a similar nature and changing the front panel fixes the problem). Biggles is far more knowledgeable about such things than I am.

| Tue 30 Sep 2014 17:47:46 #3 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I also find that sometimes my 9200 is a bit lazy responding to remote commands but I doubt in my case it's anything to do with failing electronics. My guess is that the 9200 is having to process far more data than it was ever designed for and sometimes it can't cope, rather like an old computer trying to run a patched to the hilt operating system, Vista for example One point to note is that the Humax remote communication system seem to be different to most other remotes I've seen, the machine has to be able to receive the remote signal before a button is pressed. Try this; get the remote control as close as you like to the machine and put your hand over the transmitter end, now press and hold a button, the machine obviously doesn't respond. Keeping the button pressed remove you hand, the machine still doesn't respond. Release and re-press the button, the machine now responds.

So in conclusion I think you are experiencing what other 9200 users are experiencing. I think I have noticed that some remote commands appear to have a higher priority than others so the 9200 responds to some commands quicker than others. Don't make matters worse by pressing more buttons, it just adds to the 9200's workload. Also make sure the remote will positively communicate with the 9200 before pressing a button. This laziness to remote commands can be very frustrating but on the whole my 9200 responds well. My friend's 9300 doesn't seem to suffer the lazy remote response, no doubt because it's a later machine with a faster operating system.

| Tue 30 Sep 2014 21:33:30 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Biggles - 1 hour ago  » 
    My friend's 9300 doesn't seem to suffer the lazy remote response, no doubt because it's a later machine with a faster operating system.

Sorry, I should have said faster chipset and processor.

| Tue 30 Sep 2014 23:21:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dibblingabout

Baffled as to why the addition of all the multiplexes had no initial effect on the EPG I turned the unit off at the mains, pulled out the aerial, and switched on. After the initial boot I took it out of standby to receive the obvious message that there was no signal. I pressed the programme guide button expecting to see everything blanked only to find the EPG populated in the same way as before switch off. So contrary to what I thought, and have read elsewhere, it does not start from scratch, merely updates what is already there. Poking around more of the forums I found one comment that intimates that on the latest software the unit saves the EPG to hard disk on switch off and restores it on switch on.

Whatever the method, after waiting for some time the programmes on mulitplexes other than the one tuned in started to disappear. Returning later, not sure how long but certainly a couple of hours, all the programmes on other multiplexes had disappeared as in earlier tests.

I still do not know how many multiplexes need to be included before it falls over but for the moment I have, with your help, two working units.

I have another post regarding the lack of response to the remote control on the PVR9200T only and I had wondered if there was any connection. Indeed there is, and by limiting the multiplexes it too now seems to be cured. Please see that post for details.

Thanks again.

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 11:52:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dibblingabout

Apologies, the last post should be in the EPG problem thread.

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 11:54:36 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dibblingabout

Perhaps I should have included this problem with my post regarding the EPG not being populated correctly because I have now found they share the same cause.

Please see the other post for details but in a nutshell the EPG is not being updated properly because the system is overloaded by the increase in numbers of multiplexes and programme channels. Now that I have limited the number of multiplexes to only two, the EPG is working correctly. When all the multiplexes are included it appears to take a couple of hours to sort itself out, mainly blanking the programmes it does not understand. My theory is that it is doing this at the expense of servicing other functions like the remote control and the pushbuttons on the front of the unit. Since we only switch on to watch a recording or two and rarely watch for more than a couple of hours at a time then this would seem to fit.

So to test. If I display the EPG and hold down one of the up/down arrow keys the display will scroll, occasionally pausing for a fraction of a second. This is not as fast as my 9300 which never seems to hesitate but probably as fast as it has ever been especially bearing in mind what Biggles said about the slower processor. Now if I include all the multiplexes the scrolling is a completely different kettle of fish, it barely scrolls a couple of rows without pausing for sometimes several seconds and often gives up completely, presumably for the reasons Biggles put forward.

With the restricted number of multiplexes it has now been working ok for the last couple of days but I will come back to you if it subsequently falls over. Thank you for your help.

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 11:55:36 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

dibblingabout - 3 hours ago  » 
    So contrary to what I thought, and have read elsewhere, it does not start from scratch, merely updates what is already there. Poking around more of the forums I found one comment that intimates that on the latest software the unit saves the EPG to hard disk on switch off and restores it on switch on.

I am surprised you only found one comment about this. If you look at the firmware release notes in the Wiki on this Forum you will note that storing of the EPG to disk was added at version 1.00.23 Link to Software release notes I think it was done because the performance of the box (eg response to remote) was not very good whilst it was populating the EPG from scratch.

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 15:14:35 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.