My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Remote record

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

space

Does the 1010s have any kind of remote record option?

I bought the 1010s to have the built in wifi and just assumed that it would as Sky and Virgin have have remote record for years.

Surely it would cost Humax very little to create a web page that lists the data from the guide and allows you to select programmes to record. After all the Humax is already running Linux so the web server is already available.

| Sun 3 Nov 2013 10:08:50 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Not at the moment, but there is one on its way.

| Sun 3 Nov 2013 12:16:21 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

space - there is quite a lot more to it that that.

Firstly there is the issue of ownership - is it to be a freetime feature or a Humax add-on. [I think the former]

Next you assume a web server is needed on the freetime unit and available, I think that it is not available or needed.

Then there is the issue that currently the freetime units are always in standby they would need to poll the remote server periodically.

You mention that Sky units have had it for years - true but it required that units were always actually on (Sky have only just added a full standby, previously the LNB's were always powered looking for signals - a cost of about £25 p.a.)

I believe that this is being worked on - it seems that both Humax and freesat policies are that they don't saw anything about timing until release.

| Sun 3 Nov 2013 13:06:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

space

In my ideal scenario the Humax would expose a web server that contained a copy of all available programmes each with a unique Id and a web service that would queue to record which ever id was passed to it.
    Then I could view the list of programmes on my PC, select which programmes to record and then call the web service with those Ids.

I believe Sky and Virgin both have web portals that users must connect to to select programmes to record and then that service directly connects to the users boxes.

I think Freesat would have to take a stand on this as they are the ones supplying the listings.

Your note about standby are interesting and valid, but as a user I would like the option to pay an extra £25 per year if it offered me something that I personally found useful.

| Thu 7 Nov 2013 21:42:57 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

space - 35 minutes ago  » 
    In my ideal scenario the Humax would expose a web server that contained a copy of all available programmes each with a unique Id and a web service that would queue to record which ever id was passed to it.
    Then I could view the list of programmes on my PC, select which programmes to record and then call the web service with those Ids.
    I believe Sky and Virgin both have web portals that users must connect to to select programmes to record and then that service directly connects to the users boxes.
    I think Freesat would have to take a stand on this as they are the ones supplying the listings.
    Your note about standby are interesting and valid, but as a user I would like the option to pay an extra £25 per year if it offered me something that I personally found useful.

I think a new option would let you set the check remote record check server frequency (perhaps never). There are many approaches possible - many are looking for a phone app rather than a browser - so that is quite a few apps if you go that route. My point was only ewe see so much chat without any understanding of what might be required.

| Thu 7 Nov 2013 22:23:39 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.