My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Removed terrestrial aerial and got PVR troubles

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Up to Monday my set up was a Panasonic Freeview TV. VCR and DVD recorder connected by SCART pass through, and Freesat Humax Foxsat PVR. The terrestrial aerial connection was to the PVR and then through the other boxes. This was the set up pre changeover til Monday.

After changeover we used Freesat only, as our local transmitter was a Lite relay, and met no problem apart from those from Foxsat quirks.

On Monday we has a new carpet fitted and the TV etc had to be disconnected and moved. On re-setup I decided that we were unlikely to ever use the terrestrial option and so removed all aerial connections.

Since then we intermittently receive "no or bad signal " warnings. Last evening my wife said it happemed and it wasn't until she had flipped through to channel 5 that there was a picture. I thought I had solved the problem by selecting AV as the TV’s input source and setting PVR to HDMI 1. That seemed to work until I turned on TV and PVR this evening, whther relevant or not with the PVR clock showing. I did manage to get it all working. Then twice a message flashed up through the watched picture, once on a playback the other on a live program. Due to its fleeting nature and eyesight I could not read the messages. They appeared at times when recordings were finishing, and I did find those recordings had not appeared in my media list of saved items.
    Have I done something wrong in taking out the terrestrial aerial and just leaving the HDMI link from PVR to TV, or ha the change of configuration triggered signs of failure in the PVR, which I purchased in the early days of Foxsat+?

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 0:33:18 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"The terrestrial aerial connection was to the PVR". The Foxsat does not have such a connection.

The most likely explanation is a poorly fitted F connector on the leads going to the LNB. See http://satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm
    I would not bother with the Silicone grease on a interior connection.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 8:46:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

OOOPS

i'll check the F connectors then, but they did seem tight when I replaced them.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 10:10:30 #3 |
  4. Wallace

Wallace

special member

It only take a single strand of braid in the wrong place to cause issues. If you have removed and replaced them, it does sound odds-on to be in that area as REPASSAC pointed out.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 10:36:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I have hopefully got rid of unauthorised appendages, hopefully, as I noticed that one of the F connectors did not screw in as far as the other, about one more thread visible on the box. Situation appeared to have worsened with no channel AFAICS not suffering so I have attempted a factory reset. I cannot set a post code, even less so when I first set up the box years back, when my AAnn nAA format type code was only accepted as
    AAnn nA. Now, however the code or other genuine local ones are entered, truncated or not, with a space or not, they are not accepted. No signals at all are found either!

Further suggestions?

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 14:18:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

cerclebois - 23 minutes ago  » 
    I have hopefully

No good hoping, take a good read of the link in Repassac's post, also don't undo or reconnect the cables with power supplied to the foxsat, make sure it's switched off at the back left hand side before touching the cables.

If you're not getting a signal then factory resetting wipes the freesat channels and no amount of resetting or putting in post codes will help without a proper signal.

Double check the connections again, I'm assuming you have two cables and they are normally connected to tuner 1 and tuner 2 and not the middle socket.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 14:49:03 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

That your situation has worsened points to an broken electrical circuit to the LNB - Low power must flow down the inner core and return by the earth screening.

I had exactly the same problem after I first got satellite any movement to the cable and signal would go. After living with it - I finally found out how it should be done and fixed it for good.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 18:21:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Well at last all the gubbins like post code went in and the channels were found. I had done again what was instructed by switching off power to the PVR, but on moving it back to its permanent place one LNB down lead pulled out leaving the nut and connector in the box. I have really pressed the connector sleeve hard up the lead and that seems to have done the trick.

For anything more I'll employ my son-i-l. Getting down low etc is not fun for a near octogenarian, and the getting up is worse.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 18:36:03 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Well at last all the gubbins like post code went in and the channels were found. I had done again what was instructed by switching off power to the PVR, but on moving it back to its permanent place one LNB down lead pulled out leaving the nut and connector in the box. I have really pressed the connector sleeve hard up the lead and that seems to have done the trick.
    For anything more I'll employ my son-i-l. Getting down low etc is not fun for a near octogenarian, and the getting up is worse.

If you can push the f connector up the cable they are too large for the coax. They should be a very tight screw-on fit on the coax outer, and only moveable by screwing then on or off.

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 18:52:10 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

that's great news cerclebois.

The coax cables can be quite stiff so it's easy for the f connector to become dislodged when pushing the box back

The problem is likely to reappear at some point so ask your son-i-l to take another look. The f connector will self tap onto the cable, make sure there is enough braiding and/or foil pulled back over the plastic outer sleeve for the f connector to screw on tightly and if there isn't enough braiding/foil you may need to cut it back a bit and redo the connection

| Fri 5 Dec 2014 18:58:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.