My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

replacing hard drive and where to buy one

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sunny1839

Humax have said my hard drive has broken (very disappointed for a product less than three years old). I have the Humax HDR Fox T2 which has 1 terrabite of space and been unable to find somewhere to repair it. Can anyone help me as to where to purchase a hard drive of same size (what make etc) and how do I fit it?

| Thu 9 Oct 2014 12:37:02 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Just because Humax have said it's broken doesn't mean it is. Give details of your problem and someone here may be able to help.

| Thu 9 Oct 2014 13:19:39 #2 |
  3. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Your best bet is to install the customised firmware, even if only temporarily, to give you access to the smart parameters to help you assess the disk health, and then run fix-disk which can correct many disk and filesystem errors. I have just installed a 2TB Seagate Pipeline which I bought from Ballicom for just under £70, delivered. Link to details of suitable 1TB and 2TB disks here. Several retailers have them for a similar price so shop around. For about £20 more than the 1TB disk you can buy the 2TB version. The HDR-FOX with 1.03.12 firmware can format and use disks up to 2TB, and automatically aligns advanced format disks (most are AF these days). Some people also like WD green disks, however, there are several different models and I'm not sure which is most suitable.

| Thu 9 Oct 2014 14:43:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

I agree with MontysEvilTwin. Try installing the custom firmware and check the health of the drive first. Then consider replacing the drive which is a straightforward procedure. I fitted a 2TB Seagate Pipeline HD ST2000VM003 over a year ago and have been very pleased with it.

| Thu 9 Oct 2014 15:18:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sunny1839

Many thanks, I bought a USB stick to download the firmware and run it. However, the data storage is still not working so it looks like the drive is kaput so will get a hardrive and let you know how i get on. I will see if I can find something on Utube to see how to open the box and remove the existing drive. Many thanks for your very helpful feedback

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 12:22:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sunny1839

When I installed the customized firmware for my HDR Fox T2 which the system did run, when I view the system details it still states it is FHTCP 1.03.12; update7 feb 14 which I wonder if the system has accepted the customized version. I downloaded the first one on the list dated the 01/07/14 I would have expected it to show the new update version date! Anyway, I am still going to purchase a new hard drive. Again many thanks.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 13:00:00 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

HarveyB

Loading CF will not show anything different on the Sustem Details screen.
    You need to observe the front panel on the Humax itself. When it boots from cold it will briefly show "CF 3.0", or whatever version you loaded, as it goes through the boot process.
    The 7 Feb is the correct version of 1.03.12 Firmware.
    I recommend you read up on CF on the hummy tv wiki site.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 17:37:46 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sunny1839 - 9 hours ago  » 
    When I installed the customized firmware for my HDR Fox T2 which the system did run, when I view the system details it still states it is FHTCP 1.03.12; update7 feb 14 which I wonder if the system has accepted the customized version. I downloaded the first one on the list dated the 01/07/14 I would have expected it to show the new update version date!

So have you actually tried to run fix-disk? The custom firmware provides you with tools to repair some disk and file system faults but you do actually have to use the tools.

| Fri 10 Oct 2014 22:18:13 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.