My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Replacing Sky+ with HDR 1000S

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dannyboy1121

What I actually wanted was the HB 1000S but the wife won't put up with a single tuner - so I'm likely to go for the HDR 1000S - but ..

It seems to me that there isn't one product that does everything I'd like. Specifically, the HDR 10x0S do freetime, but they don't run as a UPNP/DNLA server like the old Foxsat systems.

I'm guessing that there is still no word as to whether they're going to include this in a subsequent firmware update?

I'm also getting the impression that the DNLA client is a bit weak. Is there any evidence that it's being worked on over the various firmware releases?

I can't see myself getting anything else - this is more about setting expectation really.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 11:01:31 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

dannyboy1121 - 1 hour ago  » 
    ...they don't run as a UPNP/DNLA server like the old Foxsat systems. I'm guessing that there is still no word as to whether they're going to include this in a subsequent firmware update?...

Correct. Still no word on provision of a server facility.

dannyboy1121 - 1 hour ago  » 
    ...I'm also getting the impression that the DNLA client is a bit weak. Is there any evidence that it's being worked on over the various firmware releases?...

I have a very large music collection, it has serious problems handling it. It also will not play any of my AVI movies and has problems with many of my JPEGs. I have found it useless, others disagree and use it with apparently few problems. No evidence of it being worked on.

I've overcome these problems by buying a separate media player for 80 Pounds that does everything seamlessly. Otherwise I'm happy with the 1000S. This is pure supposition, but given the lack of development effort in the past months I personally think it's unlikely to be developed a whole lot further. I hope to be surprised.
    I'm not convinced on the economics of the HB model. By the time you buy the box, a disk and a caddy to hold it you're within about 50 Pounds of the cost of an HDR. The additional tuner and an integrated box is worth that IMHO.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 12:34:22 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would think there is still a good possibility of a DLNA server, which I base upon the fact that other Humax STBs have one and therefore it should be quite easy to implement.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 14:32:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dannyboy1121

Thanks for the honest feedback.

I love the idea of DLNA streaming to other clients from the Humax etc and using it to serve up content from my media centre - but at the end of the day, what the family need is a solid freesat replacement for the Sky+ box. So the weighting on the criteria means that I'm still likely to get one.

Then I'll hang on every update waiting to see if DLNA server or Netflix apps suddenly appear.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 18:31:38 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

dannyboy1121 - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the honest feedback.
    I love the idea of DLNA streaming to other clients from the Humax etc and using it to serve up content from my media centre - but at the end of the day, what the family need is a solid freesat replacement for the Sky+ box. So the weighting on the criteria means that I'm still likely to get one.
    Then I'll hang on every update waiting to see if DLNA server or Netflix apps suddenly appear.

It will be (if and when it appears) only talk to a secure client, (no saves to disk) etc).

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 19:18:23 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 4 hours ago  » 
    ...therefore it should be quite easy to implement.

Does the box have the underlying muscle (CPU) power? Streaming a recording to one remote box, a different recording to a 2nd remote box, while the box is also being used for live TV or OD. I could be using it for that. Mix any scenario you can think of. Hope it can deliver.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 19:22:57 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 10 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 4 hours ago  » 
    ...therefore it should be quite easy to implement.

Does the box have the underlying muscle (CPU) power? Streaming a recording to one remote box, a different recording to a 2nd remote box, while the box is also being used for live TV or OD. I could be using it for that. Mix any scenario you can think of. Hope it can deliver.

Yes the CPU and PVR chip with it's own CPU can indeed do it.
    One question - with the Android client and pairing how long is the client not in standby? If possible be exact with a meter on how long does it exceed 0.5V, extrapolate to an 8 hour period please.

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 19:37:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 6 minutes ago  » ...One question - with the Android client and pairing how long is the client not in standby? If possible be exact with a meter on how long does it exceed 0.5V, extrapolate to an 8 hour period please.

What on earth are you on about?

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 19:45:37 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 6 minutes ago  » ...One question - with the Android client and pairing how long is the client not in standby? If possible be exact with a meter on how long does it exceed 0.5V, extrapolate to an 8 hour period please.

Sorry crossed threads - about your posts on "Freesat App on Android"

| Sun 27 Jul 2014 19:53:23 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 14 hours ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 

Sorry crossed threads - about your posts on "Freesat App on Android"

Sorry, but after almost 2 years of Freesat blithely ignoring user inputs I've essentially given up on this box. It's reached a state of equilibrium where I'm content with what I've got, complete with its stupid design points and bugs.

| Mon 28 Jul 2014 10:36:35 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.