My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Replacing Sky+ with HDR 1000S

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dannyboy1121

I always end up with a list of things I'd really like and then talk myself out of buying because I can't find the perfect item. Silly really.

So in spite of the lack of media server / poorly received media client / lack of Netflix & Amazon Instant etc etc - I've just bought one. This on the basis that my old Humax Freeview box I had a few years back was fairly solid and I can't see anything that competes. I had a nose at the Manhattan systems but was concerned about reliability - and Freetime was the clincher.

Between now and the delivery date - I'll learn to spell DLNA properly.

| Wed 30 Jul 2014 22:35:15 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As you say, nothing is perfect. What I have now serves me quite well. I have a Panasonic smart TV which can play without any issues material from my NAS, programmes from a Panasonic PVR in another part of our house along with Netflix app etc. I can also play media very easily from a USB media stick or USB HDD (certainly easier than the 1000s). I then use my 1000s as a basic PVR to record all my programmes as well as catchup. Add Apple TV into the mix and I have most of the bases covered.

| Thu 31 Jul 2014 23:01:27 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dannyboy1121

The Humax arrived today. A couple of points I'd make:

1 - The image quality does actually appear to be better than the Sky HD image (which I didn't really have a problem with in the first place) - which was a good surprise.

2 - I was expecting the UPNP / DLNA client to be rubbish but it's actually been quite good. I'm running Fuppes off a NAS. It's running all my mp3 / mp4 media with no problem. No lag issues, although I suspect that directory enumeration depends to a certain extent on being sensible with directory structures. Streaming via the Humax is better than through my PS3.

I'm kind of at a loss now with what to do with the Sky HD box. Other than keep the hard drive as a spare - is there anything else that can be done with it??

| Fri 1 Aug 2014 23:28:52 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ranger176

Danny, you're like me. I have only had my HDR-1000S for a few weeks. I got it to replace my Sky + HD box, which has now found a home in my cupboard. I looked on Ebay, and unless it's a Sky box that's only a couple of years old, they are only going for about £10. Mine's about 6 years old, so not worth anything.

I have a Qnap NAS with Twonky Media Server. I have my old movies, originally recorded on a Sony camcorder. Also, some old VHS stuff that I converted, stored on the NAS. They play back ok, but have no sound? I guess they must be in the wrong file format. I am a Mac user, so the files were originally made to play on my iMac & iPad.

There are a few channels that I do miss from Sky, but definitely don't miss paying them £35 a month!

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 17:19:53 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

dannyboy1121 - Interested in Fuppes - what are you running it on?

Note: From other users posts the HDR-10x0S DLNA client satisfaction seems to depend on the server. I suspect that the results do indeed depend on the server downgrading the stream as necessary.

I note that Fuppes supports on the fly transcoding into MPEG, MP4, MP3 etc, which may be why you find it works so well.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 17:33:44 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dannyboy1121

Fuppes as an add on service to NAS4Free (fork of Freenas storage software). I've not configured it specifically to transcode but who knows what it does out of the box.

Ranger - my home media has all been produced on MAC (iMovie and FCPX). No sound issues as yet.

| Sat 2 Aug 2014 22:45:17 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dec

dannyboy1121 - How many mp3 files do you have ?

Last time I tried the dlna client it took ages to populate the file list and then it only listed a fraction of the 8000+ mp3 files I've got

Old Sky+HD boxes have no real value. It's pity they can't be patched to record without a subscription like the Sky+SD boxes.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 11:58:27 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

dec - 1 hour ago  » 
    dannyboy1121 - How many mp3 files do you have ?
    Last time I tried the dlna client it took ages to populate the file list and then it only listed a fraction of the 8000+ mp3 files I've got...

Yes, that's essentially the problem I found with it. I have 30k+ tracks on my NAS...
    1)Took ages to populate the list and each and every time it came up with a different total of the number of tracks.
    2)Would not play the occasional mp3 file.
    3)After playing a track and then moving back a level in the structure it started a complete renewal of the list (see (1) above).

I have three media players which handle the same structure with ease. Add to that it will not play my AVI files and cannot display many of my JPEGs, I no longer use the media client on the 1000S.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 13:40:03 #18 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A media client and a DLNA client are very different in their requirements and functionality, that said the enumeration of a folder does have a problem it seems.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 16:33:23 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 3 hours ago  » 
    A media client and a DLNA client are very different in their requirements and functionality...

Semantics. You can call it what you like, but the average user just expects it to work. I have 3 other media players plus 4 smart TVs, so 8 clients in all. One out of 8 not working suggests a very poorly written client.

| Mon 4 Aug 2014 19:45:37 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.