My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Roll-forward On Demand EPG?

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The latest YouView update, just announced (http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/Automatic-Software-Update-October-2014-which-includes-Connected-Red-Button), brings two features which the Freetime boxes have not got:

1) BBC Connected Red Button

2) Scroll forward to watch TV on demand in the YouView Guide- selected programmes from across the 7 days will be available to watchon demand, straight from the YouView Guide.

I'm just wondering if this "scroll-forward" On Demand feature is going to be exclusive to YouView, or is it something the Freetime boxes might aspire to? It surely must be BBC content - who else would run content first online? - so perhaps available to all?

| Thu 23 Oct 2014 19:38:07 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Important to note this is a phased rollout so do not be surprised if your unit does not update.

| Thu 23 Oct 2014 21:40:54 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

JamesB - I rather think the Connected Red Button functionality is already on freetime units, Barry?

I think Barry missed that you have a HDR-1000S.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 7:20:04 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Can't comment on CRB for freetime yet.

I didn't miss the fact that James has HDR 1000S.

I did ponder moving this to the YV section, but decided instead just to advise YV owners of the phased rollout, should they read this thread.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 7:51:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

For me what really stands out in that link is there is actually a detailed list of problems that have been fixed in the latest s/w release. Now there's an innovative idea for Freesat to adopt. Of course that would entail acknowledging that a problem existed, which again would be innovative for Freesat.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 8:31:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Apologies, I was thinking about the new features from the perspective of a Freetime user. Sorry for any confusion.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 9:16:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    JamesB - I rather think the Connected Red Button functionality is already on freetime units, Barry?
    I think Barry missed that you have a HDR-1000S.

Most of the separate functions are available, but I haven't seen the Connected Red Button portal appear. Am I overlooking it?

I'm not really bothered about the CRB but would like the pre-broadcast On Demand in the EPG. It's easy to miss these programmes, just looking in the iPlayer.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 9:30:32 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    For me what really stands out in that link is there is actually a detailed list of problems that have been fixed in the latest s/w release. Now there's an innovative idea for Freesat to adopt. Of course that would entail acknowledging that a problem existed, which again would be innovative for Freesat.

It's certainly innovative for YouView, who've spent the last two years turning a blind eye to all criticism while its partners fought each other (on one occasion physically), briefed against each other, and pretty much threw the toys out of the pram. Not much fun for the users. Now that the dust has settled, they do seem more ready to turn their attention to the actual service.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 9:36:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 30 minutes ago  » It's certainly innovative for YouView, who've spent the last two years turning a blind eye to all criticism while its partners fought each other (on one occasion physically), briefed against each other, and pretty much threw the toys out of the pram. Not much fun for the users. Now that the dust has settled, they do seem more ready to turn their attention to the actual service.

Just substitute Freesat into that entire description and there is no difference. They've been bigging themselves up about their "Editorial Vision" in improving Showcase. Meanwhile the users complain that Showcase and OD have stopped working.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 10:10:02 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

That's rather exaggerated, isn't it? Showcase and Freesat are working very well for most users, and Freesat is not ignoring the remaining issues, they've been issuing advice and working on a fix. There are always going to be complaints about any service. Freesat seem to me at least averagely responsive.

| Fri 24 Oct 2014 10:28:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.