My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Saving HD recordings for play back via USB prt2

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Hi all,
    Those who have followed my first attempt will know I failed. For others see saving-hd-recordings-to-enable-play-back-via-usb

To investigate what I was doing wrong I have been experimenting with a All in 1 HDD Docking station (USB2).

It seems my problem is that EaseUS partition Master free edition did not format ext3 correctly.

My first try with the EaseUS Partition Master only gave me few GB of data space on a 500GB test hard drive.

To correct this I created a CD with Knoppix V7.2 and booted my spare PC with the CD in the drive. Knoppix has a Linux drive formatting tool for ext3 (and many others)
    Using Knoppix I was able after a few attempts to get the full 500GB (465.76GB actually)

Now I can copy and view recordings on the external USB 500GB drive

The thing that is confusing is that Windows 7 64bit using I presume samba does not show the size of the drive?

Humax seems to think the drive is 500GB as it reports there is 1% in use with 5GB of films on the drive.

The attached USB hard drive is reported by Windows as folder sdb1

Using windows to move files seems to be problematic in that it sometimes fails and I get the retry message ;(
    And 4GB is quoted as 2 hours.
    Using the Humax is error free but locks the machine up so it cannot be used.

I now need find the best way to move files without problems.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 12:20:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Install one of the ftp packages in the custom firmware and ftp software on your PC (I use Filezilla). If you install EXT2FS on your PC you should be able to ftp files directly to the usb drive with it connected to your PC. Note By default EXT2FS installs in read only mode, you have to turn on write capability.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 13:28:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    Install one of the ftp packages in the custom firmware and ftp software on your PC (I use Filezilla). If you install EXT2FS on your PC you should be able to ftp files directly to the usb drive with it connected to your PC. Note By default EXT2FS installs in read only mode, you have to turn on write capability.

Dumb question time...
    Do I just install EXT2FS on the PC or does it need adding to the USB hard drive in someway?

I ask because I have loaded ext2fs onto my PC and I cannot see my USB drive that is mapped to Y: using the Ext2 Volume Manager UI.
    Actually my Humax is mapped to Y: and explorer can see the drive as sdb1 in the root with stuff like Photo and Video.

I have not rebooted since installing Ext2FS

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 16:23:26 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ext2FS is a driver that enables Windows Explorer to mount EXT2/3 volumes in Windows Explorer. If you plug in the USB drive to your PC you should see the drive appear in Windows Explorer, it's replacement for EXT2 Volume Manager which if I remember correctly can only read EXT2/3 volumes. You can then copy files to it without using Windows Explorer at all. You need to install say tiny ftp onto the Foxsat. Install say Filezilla on the PC. Run Filezilla on the pC, log into the Foxsat. Select your EXT3 drive as the destination, then simply drag and drop files from the Foxsat to your USB drive. You can use your Foxsat normally while copying files.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 16:33:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

I have just checked that I have TinyFtp installed.

Now I've not got the correct connection to the Humax in FileZilla.
    I am using ip of the Humax, humaxftp and 0000 as password the password has not been set (that is for zeroes).

Is humaxftp correct?
    I have not changed the default port 21.

I am trying to use FileZilla to transfer files from the humax media/video folder to the humax/media/sdb1 folder that is on the connected USB harddrive.

Got it...
    The username was wrong. It should be HumaxFTP

Going to test moving files with FileZilla now.

Thank you for your help.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 16:48:48 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Seems OK to me

Logon script from filezilla

Connecting to 192.168.0.2:21...
    Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 Welcome to Foxsat HDR FTP Server.
    Command: USER Humaxftp
    Response: 331 Password required for humaxftp.
    Command: PASS ****
    Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX system type.
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized.
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/media" is current working dir.
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Port command successful
    Command: PASV
    Response: 502 Command not implemented.
    Command: PORT 192,168,0,11,221,15
    Response: 200 Port command successful
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Opening data connection for directory list
    Response: 226 Closing data connection.

Attachments

1. Filezilla.jpg (181.7 KB, 2 downloads) 10 years old
    2. Filezillasite.jpg (41.7 KB, 1 downloads) 10 years old
    | Tue 10 Dec 2013 16:59:18 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Using FTP (filezilla) between the Humax/media/video and the Humax/media/sdb1 500GB hard drive gives a transfer speed of 3MiB/s transferring a 4.4GB file.

According to http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp this equates to... 11.32 GB per hour.
    It has done 25/% in 8 mins.

So if this is reliable it is an easy way to copy files.
    This a copy process so I will have to delete the files I copy over; however that gives some comfort if the copy should fail.

Just a thought is the humax still available in standby mode? If not I will have to be careful not to turn it to standby!

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 17:12:53 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Huntsman - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Just a thought is the humax still available in standby mode?

It is not available on the network in full standby. I think it is available in the half awake mode when it wakes up 15 minutes before a scheduled recording.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 17:25:48 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is nothing available in full sby mode. The box only uses around 0.75W, the bare minimum required to wake the box to make scheduled recordings. To use the webif remote scheduling capability you have to arrange for the box to wake and give you an access window (Wake On Lan isn't possible).

If you know when the box is recording or in pre recording sby then as already said you can access the box. Same applies to running the webif.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 18:21:26 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Now I have the test All in one USB hard drive working.
    I can report the transfers are more that twice as fast if the USB drive is connected to a PC than having the USB connected to the Humax and using FTP via FileZilla in both instances.

My next job is to buy a 2TB USB drive.

Has anyone used a USB3 compatible USB2 drive with a Humax? as that is now my only concern.

As all you guys have used 2TB with no problems.

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 16:29:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.