My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Saving HD recordings to enable play back via USB

(25 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Hi all,
    I now have a 3TB Toshiba Stor.e canvio USB3 compatible with USB2.
    The USB cable is a new one to me; USB 3.0 Micro-B plug on the Toshiba drive end.

First try...
    It came formatted with NTFS

I reduced the NTFS to 1TB and created two extra partitions HIS and HERS both EXT3 using EaseUS partition manager.

Humax,Raydon's web and Windows 7 explore (I presume with Samba) did not see any drives or partitions.

Second try...
    Formated the TOSHIBA EXT NTFS partition to FAT32

Humax,Raydon's web and Windows 7 explore (I presume with Samba) did not see any drives or partitions.

Third try...
    Removed partitions HIS and HERS. Then formatted TOSHIBA EXT FAT32 partition to EXT3

In all the above test when plugging in the USB drive into the Humax on screen it says something to the effect that it cannot use the USB drive that I have plugged in and that I should format it to FAT32 or EXT3. That is what I have done!

Stumped

Any suggestions welcome

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:17:06 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Huntsman - 38 minutes ago  » 
    In all the above test when plugging in the USB drive into the Humax on screen it says something to the effect that it cannot use the USB drive that I have plugged in and that I should format it to FAT32 or EXT3. That is what I have done!

What type of partition table is it using? I would be rather surprised if the FOXSAT could use a GPT partition style disk which I thought was used on disks larger than 2TB.

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:58:22 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Martin,
    My current test (the third one) looking in Disk Management says Volumes/Disk5/Basic/Online/Master Boot Record (MBR) /capacity 2861587MB/unallocated space 1805001MB

The partition is marked DarkBlue 1031.82 GB Healthy(Active,Primary partition) with two unallocated partitions that I deleted for the this test.

EaseUS says the USB hard drive is EXT3
    Properties Partition type 83(hex)Ext3

So I presume it is a MBR disk?

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 16:00:34 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Huntsman - 52 minutes ago  » 
    Martin,
    My current test (the third one) looking in Disk Management says Volumes/Disk5/Basic/Online/Master Boot Record (MBR) /capacity 2861587MB/unallocated space 1805001MB

Well according to Link to Wikipedia the maximum size of an MBR partition table is 2TB. Sorry you have reached the limit of my knowledge.

| Fri 29 Nov 2013 16:56:08 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Huntsman

Hi all,
    I have sent the 3TB drive back since I failed to get it working with ext3.

It had an odd habit of wanting to format the disk when first attached to a windows 7 64bit system.

I will post my next attempt to understand how to get an external USB driver working using a "all in one HDD docking" station.

Thanks to all who tried to help me.

| Wed 4 Dec 2013 18:10:37 #25 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.