My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Signal Strength

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MikeW

I am new to the Forum so apologies if this repeats any previous points (but couldn't see one similar?!). Having had the Humax about a month we have had to re-tune several times as it has lost BBC 3 & 4 and also the picture quality on our local BBC 1 channel varies from breaking up to non-existent. When re-tuning the signal strength strength is indicated as being weak, yet when the aerial is plugged directly into the television, the internal Freeview has no problem in getting and holding onto the signal. Is this something to do with the HDMI connection and does anyone know how to get round the issue. It is very frustrating. At present the only way to watch BBC 1 without bypassing the Humax is on HD and that doesn't get our local BBC news!!

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 20:58:22 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

There is a known problem with the tuning algorithm not always picking up the local strong signal for a MUX but a weaker version from a more distant transmitter. A fix has been tested but it is not clear if it is being included in the release promised for the end of October.

| Mon 15 Oct 2012 22:10:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

swedish cook

gomezz - 5 days ago  » 
    There is a known problem with the tuning algorithm not always picking up the local strong signal for a MUX but a weaker version from a more distant transmitter. A fix has been tested but it is not clear if it is being included in the release promised for the end of October.

If thats the case then bizarrely a signal attenuator (that reduces the signal rather than boosts it) could help - this could dump the weaker signals leaving only the strong ones for the Youview box to tune to.

Plug in attenuator, retune, remove attenuator ? What do you think.

| Sun 21 Oct 2012 8:02:54 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveA

Its possible to get variable attenuators - I used to use one to protect my Pace OnDigital box from too strong a signal.

Example here:

http://tinyurl.com/VariableAtt

| Sun 21 Oct 2012 12:45:19 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

If you are in a multiple transmitters area and the current software is not able to pick up just the strongest one, then try re-tuning without the aerial plugged in, and then plug it in at the 20% stage.

This is what I had to do at one stage, and this is what support's advised when I had the problem! (I am sure there are safety issues with pulling antennae in and out when the box is powered on, so I would recommend calling up support about doing so, in case they have another solution and that you can sue them if you get injured doing so.)

With the current firmware, the YV box does not have this issue for me any more - it detects and selects the right transmitter (even though my HDR-FOX T2 does not, with even more channels appearing in the 800 range after a recent and forced retune!)

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 16:35:15 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.