My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Simultaneous recording

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Is it, or should it be possible to record 2 channels simultaneously on the HB1000S, providing of course they are on the same transponder?

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 14:29:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A single Humax tuner at can handle two channels from the same transponder. Not sure if the hb1000S can record both (using usb may preclude this). Why not try it out ? If not you may be able to record the viewed channel from the timeshift buffer after the recording finishes.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 15:30:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Thanks Graham I hoped you would respond.

I only brought this subject up because of a statement you made on another forum (referring to an HDR) which was:-

“Of course the box is capable of recording two at once. In fact if the two programmes are on the same transponder eg 102 108 then only 1 tuner is used. The other is free to watch any other channel you like and also time shift it. As a result when one of the recordings finishes you can record the 3rd programme by pressing the instant record button.”

I read that as the box only needing 1 tuner to record both channels. (102 and 108)

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 16:02:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

You seem to have edited your post.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 16:03:18 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

KennyB - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham I hoped you would respond.
    I only brought this subject up because of a statement you made on another forum (referring to an HDR) which was:-
    “Of course the box is capable of recording two at once. In fact if the two programmes are on the same transponder eg 102 108 then only 1 tuner is used. The other is free to watch any other channel you like and also time shift it. As a result when one of the recordings finishes you can record the 3rd programme by pressing the instant record button.”
    I read that as the box only needing 1 tuner to record both channels. (102 and 108)

That is correct for a HDR which has an internal sata hard drive. I don't have a HB1000S but I do know it records using a standard usb2.0 port to a usb hard drive. At a guess the limitations of usb may well preclude recording two at once, had the box got a esata port recording two at once would definitely be possible.

Simple answer tune to 102 and push the record button then tune to 108 and try pressing the record button again.

Post what happens.

The post you referred to was as a result of someone at Freesat insisting the twin tuner HDR1000S can only record one channel at once - what sort of training do they give their customer support agents ?

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 16:16:57 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

KennyB - 13 minutes ago  » 
    You seem to have edited your post.

Yep I had to edit mine as well as the original post referred to 3 recordings at once, clearly not possible.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 16:17:51 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Not possible to record two at once even if on same transponder.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 16:32:32 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

Barry - 3 hours ago  » 
    Not possible to record two at once even if on same transponder.

Thanks for confirming.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 20:19:32 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

KennyB

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    That is correct for a HDR which has an internal sata hard drive. I don't have a HB1000S but I do know it records using a standard usb2.0 port to a usb hard drive. At a guess the limitations of usb may well preclude recording two at once, had the box got a esata port recording two at once would definitely be possible.
    Simple answer tune to 102 and push the record button then tune to 108 and try pressing the record button again.
    Post what happens.

Box reacted as you would expect to an attempt to record 2 channels. (reported conflict)

I can't believe the usb2.0 would be a limiting factor, after all it's managing to transfer data to the disk when a recording is in process and the recording buffer is filling when viewing the second channel.

More of a case of Humax designing in that limitation on the HB1000S.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 20:49:09 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

KennyB - 4 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    Post what happens.

Box reacted as you would expect to an attempt to record 2 channels. (reported conflict)
    I can't believe the usb2.0 would be a limiting factor, after all it's managing to transfer data to the disk when a recording is in process and the recording buffer is filling when viewing the second channel.
    More of a case of Humax designing in that limitation on the HB1000S.

Do you know of any other make of single tuner satellite or Freeview box that can record two programmes at the same time to a usb device ?

In fact the capability to use a single tuner to watch more than one channel is near unique amongst current boxes, as is the capability to use a single cable to intelligently use two tuners on a single cable to maximise the potential. Try using a Sky box on a single cable.

You bought a single tuner box, the fact that you can watch a second channel is a real bonus.

Sorry but if you wanted that sort of capability you should have bought a twin tuner Freetime box.

Being able to buffer the live tuner stream directly to a file isn't the same as creating a proper recording. There's a lot of other overhead processes required. Creating the required support files to allow proper navigation and recording schedule entries for instance.

Even for a DVD there's a lot more involved than just copying mpeg2 data to a storage device. Try copying a mpeg2 file to a DVD blank and see how what your DVD player makes of it.

Now Google DVD-Video.

| Fri 31 Oct 2014 21:04:30 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.