My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Software Update Stuck on 50%

(90 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

It was meant to be neither, just pointing out the facts.

Be mindful I am not going to allow this to degenerate into a Humax bashing thread, posts will be removed and the thread closed until the next OTA date if that happens.

| Fri 3 Apr 2015 11:01:09 #81 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    As has been pointed out in this thread there are many simple solutions to overcome the problems encountered.

Barry I refer you to my post #74.

To people who are computer savy the cure might well be simple. But how do owners correct this problem if they do not have access to the internet, and therefore cannot see this forum?

The public purchase a PVR to record / time shift programmes, they do not expect to waste time searching the internet or telephoning customer services to correct a problem created by Humax.

Again, I ask where is a statement / apology from Humax?

| Fri 3 Apr 2015 11:18:42 #82 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

1. If users had not interrupted the update process it almost certainly would have completed, probably on the 3rd pass of updating as proved on 3 consecutive mornings by me - and btw Humax also confirmed this test.

2. Users can easily recover a 'stuck' unit again as proved by me - details in this thread, Humax support have the details.

3. If users are not confident enough to try any of the fixes then I believe Humax are exchanging units at considerable costs to them.

I am now closing this temporarily, as the thread contains all the info users need to recover/fix a stuck unit. It will be reopened when the next OTA is broadcast, currently planned to commence on 6 April

Topic reopened

| Fri 3 Apr 2015 11:28:06 #83 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lizod

For anyone STILL struggling with this update, as I have been until this moment...

Reading all the instructions I'd been given I had been popping the USB stick in and pressing 'V' on the controller. This just prompted the machine to read the USB stick for audio and image files, and flick through the channels. What followed was a few weeks of trying over again and waking up to see the dreaded flashing pink update light.

In my last effort before sending it back to Humax, I pressed the 'V' ON THE FRONT OF THE HUMAX BOX - EUREKA IT WORKED!

So for anyone who has similarly been reading these solutions and getting nowhere - very explicitly:
    -unplug the box from the power source
    -bang the USB stick into the box with the software unzipped update file on it
    -put the power plug back in and touch the embossed 'V' button on the silver panel on the front of the actual Humax box ...do this as soon as you plug it in and just keep your finger on it until it's all finished just in case
    -it does the download in 2 seconds flat and you wonder how you missed the obvious all this time

I do think that for a whole thread of confused customers this could have been explained just that little more clearly (in a previous job I've had to explain what a web browser is to many people over the phone: "when you log on do you click on a big blue 'e' to get on the internet?" - because of course they were always IE users).

It is also fairly disappointing that the software updates being sent through are not just working as they should - so I hope Humax developers will take care of this on future updates.

Can't tell you how many times I've read this thread, so thank you to all of you who tried to communicate your fixes out to others.

| Thu 9 Apr 2015 21:41:57 #84 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Well I along with others certainly mentioned doing exactly that some 6 pages back.

The information is out there if only people could be bothered to actually read it. The way of things these days appears to be 'oh my box isn't working correctly I will post on a forum'. I won't bother to look if there is a solution because even if I do look I cannot follow even the most basic instructions.

Now I'm not saying that applies to everyone, but it does apply to quite a few.

| Thu 9 Apr 2015 23:04:02 #85 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

My version of update instructions has been part of our FAQ's since 02 Sep last year

| Thu 9 Apr 2015 23:24:10 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lizod

Apologies Faust, but if this is the post you're referring to:

Faust - 1 week ago  » 
    It is clear from reading various posts that some posters have not followed the instructions for using the USB stick to the letter. Posts like I the unit could not see the USB in storage etc. confirms this.
    I have used USB for the previous upgrade (Cruzer) without any issues. What I did do though was when powering up the unit I made sure the channel down button was already pressed and I kept it pressed until the TV screen provided confirmation that the update was working. I did not do any tapping of the channel down button.

- then I do not think the way you phrased it was clear. Nothing in that posts screams to me to touch the button on the front of the unit. I did look through all of the instructions in this thread and did not just post up more questions of the same, instead I posted some instructions which I felt would be clear to absolutely anyone who might still be stuck.

Hands up I did not navigate through the entire forum to find that specific FAQ section, but I did not expect a post I intended to be helpful and friendly to be greeted with such animosity.

| Fri 10 Apr 2015 0:19:07 #87 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Lizod - 22 hours ago  » 
    Apologies Faust, but if this is the post you're referring to:

Faust - 1 week ago  » 
    It is clear from reading various posts that some posters have not followed the instructions for using the USB stick to the letter. Posts like I the unit could not see the USB in storage etc. confirms this.
    I have used USB for the previous upgrade (Cruzer) without any issues. What I did do though was when powering up the unit I made sure the channel down button was already pressed and I kept it pressed until the TV screen provided confirmation that the update was working. I did not do any tapping of the channel down button.

- then I do not think the way you phrased it was clear. Nothing in that posts screams to me to touch the button on the front of the unit. I did look through all of the instructions in this thread and did not just post up more questions of the same, instead I posted some instructions which I felt would be clear to absolutely anyone who might still be stuck.
    Hands up I did not navigate through the entire forum to find that specific FAQ section, but I did not expect a post I intended to be helpful and friendly to be greeted with such animosity.

Ah! but some of the previous posts had mentioned the channel down button on the box and as the name suggests i.e. thread, I was simply adding to that information.

To put it another way - one wouldn't buy a product, pick up the instruction manual and start reading from halfway through would you? So it is with a thread, though not guaranteed to provide the answer if you do read them all the way through it does increase your chances.

No one meant you any animosity but it can be exasperating when one has to keep repeating the same thing simply because people cannot be bothered to take the time and read from the beginning.

| Fri 10 Apr 2015 23:24:45 #88 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sanfro

Thank yiu Lizod fir the detailed explanation. I've been trying to update for 2 weeks but even when I called a Humax they didn't explain that you had to press the V on the actual Humax, so I was pressing the remote. There must be so many people without access to the internet, and therefore no access to this forum, still without use if their Humax. Thanks again.

| Fri 10 Apr 2015 23:48:37 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

My information is that many stores have been inundated with complaints and requests for help regarding this particular update.

That info has come from a well known store group.

| Sun 12 Apr 2015 8:28:36 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.