My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Strange HDMI connection problem

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

k64

Until I read the "Sudden loss of HDMI connection" post, I was thinking my HDMI problem was with the TV (Samsung LE32C650L1) but as my problem is similar but not identical, I'll post it here.

Until 26 August my HDR FOX-T2 and Samsung TV behaved perfectly, but when I switched on the TV on the 26th it displayed a "no signal" message. I never switch off the Humax and its panel still displayed BBC ONE HD, as expected (power save / standby is OFF). To correct the problem all I had to do was power off and power on the Humax via the remote.

I've since had to do this every day.

However, this evening I disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV HDMI1 socket and replugged it into HDMI2 socket. Now I can power off and power on the TV without losing the signal, just as it used to be.

Anyone have any useful suggestions why this should be?

| Thu 30 Aug 2012 22:32:01 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Humax boxes rely on the box being in sby overnight to carry out a variety of housekeeping procedures. These include firmware upgrades and channel line up changes. Not a good idea to leave on 24/7.

| Thu 30 Aug 2012 22:49:20 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I always leave my hdr fox t2 on 24/7 so that I can rewind 2hrs if necessary.
    OTA happens every 6 months or so, channel line up - there's a big one coming in September, last one I can't remember.

Exactly what other housekeeping procedures go on when left in standby?

Sorry if this sounds abrupt. but I really do want to know what housekeeping procedures happen overnight when left in standby as this just sounds like an excuse, sweeping stuff under the carpet and it's not addressing the real problem.

Also do we really think that the above problems have anything to do with not putting the box into standby overnight? My box is never in standby and I've never had any problems as listed above, however the automatic hdmi handshaking on the hdr and hd fox t2 is a nightmare.

My other equipment here can be set to a distinct resolution and the display will pick it up. The humax, on the other hand, decides itself what it thinks is connected regardless of what I know is connected so sometimes I get 576i or a blank screen.

My ps3, western digital, philips and even the foxsat work perfectly with handshaking. Humax have changed something with the hdr and hd fox t2 with regard to hdmi handshaking, what would be good is if they came clean as to what they've done, so as at least we knew what and why, even better would be that they fixed it!

The elephant in the room seems to be hdmi handshaking, we're told that resolution can be set at initial install, however the hdr/hd fox t2 takes no notice of this and re-negotiates every time. In my case the humax doesn't work properly with my dell or toshiba display, however a edid/cec synchroniser fixes the problem which makes a mockery of hdcp.

There is a problem with hdmi on the hdr and hd fox t2

It would be nice if humax came clean about it.

| Fri 31 Aug 2012 2:47:50 #3 |
  4. aciddad

aciddad

special member

I don't have the technical knowledge to comment on your problems but I have a hd and a hdr and both do not have hdmi handshaking problems with my Sanyo tv and both continually output in 1080p as confirmed by the tv info display. I'm very happy with them both.
    David.

| Fri 31 Aug 2012 18:14:23 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Can only speak for the HD FOX T2, no problem with my Sony TV (connected via a Denon AV amp). You get a double handshake, I imagine box to amp and amp to TV.

| Fri 31 Aug 2012 18:19:07 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.