My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Subtitles on BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Recordings from BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD have erratic subtitles with frequent gaps in which the subtitles do not appear. The same programmes, recorded from the SD channel, are fine. This is coming from Crystal Palace.

Programmes recorded:
    BBC Three SD and HD, Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents, broadcast 02:57 Mon 16 Dec 2013
    BBC Four SD and HD, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, broadcast 00:33 Mon 16 Dec 2013

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

| Mon 16 Dec 2013 16:30:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

RoyGillett

Bad and erratic subtitles in live broadcast as well

And on the News Channel HD

| Mon 16 Dec 2013 22:04:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Hi Roy - yes, live broadcast is affected too. And what's worse, this is also affecting BBC One HD, which was fine before. No subtitles on Have I Got A Bit More News For You tonight. SD channel fine, and both SD and HD fine on my TV's Freeview tuner.

Is it just Humax, and just this particular model? Has the BBC changed something about its HD channels, which the Humax HDR 2000T is not coping with? Anyone have any suggestions?

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 0:22:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I wonder why this isn't being widely reported.

I suppose there may not be that many HDR2000Ts in use. And not everyone uses subtitles. And if it's somehow connected with the launch of the new HD channels, that hasn't yet happened everywhere.

Still seems there would be more comments, unless perhaps this is just a freak fault affecting a couple of boxes.

| Tue 17 Dec 2013 11:09:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Having concluded that the box has a problem, I thought I'd copy the unwatched recordings to USB and take the HDR2000T back to the retailer.

Alas, turns out subtitles don't get copied.

Not a problem for a lot of users, I suppose, but the copying facility is one of the reasons I bought the box, having been stung twice with YouView boxes dying on me and taking all their recordings with them. I thought I was being canny in choosing a new PVR which would allow me to copy off the programmes in case of problems. But Humax have foiled my safety plan.

So the box will instead be returned for refund.

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 15:13:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Having concluded that the box has a problem, I thought I'd copy the unwatched recordings to USB and take the HDR2000T back to the retailer.

Are you referring to HD programmes? HD programmes are encrypted and will not pay on other devices including other HDR-2000Ts.

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

I returned a 2000T for another reason but kept 2 short clips for reference.
    The subtitles do get copied. Using medainfo I can see the subtitle stream is there, but more to the point I can see the subtitles when I play one of the 2000T clips using MPCHC (version1.6.5.6366) with the subtitle option ‘enabled’.
    The only export issue I had with the HDR-2000T was with copying off recordings that had been started using the record button on the remote, but that was not a subtitle issue.

JamesB - 2 days ago  » 
    Recordings from BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD have erratic subtitles with frequent gaps in which the subtitles do not appear. The same programmes, recorded from the SD channel, are fine.

JamesB - 1 day ago  » 
    I wonder why this isn't being widely reported.

In the case of the HDR-FOX T2 there have been reports of a high level of scheduled recording failures with the new HD channels. For myself I haven’t managed to successfully record any of the BBC3/CBBC programmes from the schedule despite trying and so wouldn’t know if there was a subtitle issue with recordings or not. BBC 1&2 HD live and CBBC HD live is OK for me on my HDR-FOX T2.

I have seen what you describe on the HDR-FOX T2 but only after rewinding or fast forwarding. It’s been awhile now since that has happened on my HDR-FOX T2 as I only use subtitles some of the time and I tend not to use FF/RW. When it has happened I found that when it had settled down the subtitles where out of sync but then using the jump keys would kick it back into sync.

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 17:43:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Luke - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Are you referring to HD programmes? HD programmes are encrypted and will not pay on other devices including other HDR-2000Ts.

Thanks for that information. I was assuming I'd be able to play the files on a replacement HDR2000T.

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 

I returned a 2000T for another reason but kept 2 short clips for reference.
    The subtitles do get copied. Using medainfo I can see the subtitle stream is there, but more to the point I can see the subtitles when I play one of the 2000T clips using MPCHC (version1.6.5.6366) with the subtitle option ‘enabled’.

The subtitle option was enabled in the settings. When I played the copied file, subtitles weren't displayed, and I couldn't switch subtitles On/Off using the remote. The only option offered was "Off".

JamesB - 2 days ago  » 
    Recordings from BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD have erratic subtitles with frequent gaps in which the subtitles do not appear. The same programmes, recorded from the SD channel, are fine.

In the case of the HDR-FOX T2 there have been reports of a high level of scheduled recording failures with the new HD channels. For myself I haven’t managed to successfully record any of the BBC3/CBBC programmes from the schedule despite trying and so wouldn’t know if there was a subtitle issue with recordings or not. BBC 1&2 HD live and CBBC HD live is OK for me on my HDR-FOX T2.
    I have seen what you describe on the HDR-FOX T2 but only after rewinding or fast forwarding. It’s been awhile now since that has happened on my HDR-FOX T2 as I only use subtitles some of the time and I tend not to use FF/RW. When it has happened I found that when it had settled down the subtitles where out of sync but then using the jump keys would kick it back into sync.

. Yes, I've seen numerous reports of recording failures on the new channels, on various Humax boxes including YouView. But I've seen no other report mentioning subtitles not displaying properly on recorded programmes. This causes me to suspect that it could just be this particular box.

Thanks very much for your comments. Very helpful.

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 18:04:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 21 minutes ago  » 
    The subtitle option was enabled in the settings. When I played the copied file, subtitles weren't displayed, and I couldn't switch subtitles On/Off using the remote. The only option offered was "Off".

OK, I think I’m understanding better about the actions you took.
    If I am now understanding correctly you exported the recording to an external device and then with the external device still connected you played the file with using the HDR-2000T.
    When an HD file is exported it exports it and its 2 or 3 sidecar files without any editing or conversion what so ever. When an SD file is exported, all it does to the file is decrypt it, (which is why exporting an HD file can take about as long as exporting an SD file despite the HD file being larger), i.e. nothing is added or taken away from the recording

Did you check that the original recording, without export, played the subtitles OK?

(BTW I've got an HDR_FOX T2 with subtitles displaying to a TV on CBBC HD and there has been no pausing and then racing subtitles so far.)

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 18:38:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

If I am now understanding correctly you exported the recording to an external device and then with the external device still connected you played the file with using the HDR-2000T

Correct. It was an SD recording, and yes, I did check that the subtitles displayed okay on the original recording.

(BTW I've got an HDR_FOX T2 with subtitles displaying to a TV on CBBC HD and there has been no pausing and then racing subtitles so far.)

The problem is not that the subtitles pause and then race. The problem is that the subtitles are only sporadically displayed, with missing sequences so that it's hard to follow the dialogue.

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 18:49:37 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 37 minutes ago  » 

If I am now understanding correctly you exported the recording to an external device and then with the external device still connected you played the file with using the HDR-2000T

Correct. It was an SD recording, and yes, I did check that the subtitles displayed okay on the original recording.

Even if it was a once off Id think that because it has happened once I’d be initially very insecure about relying on it export correctly in future.
    Have you made a definite decision yet about returning it? Or are you making a few short recordings to export to attempt to regain confidence?

JamesB - 37 minutes ago  » 

The problem is not that the subtitles pause and then race. The problem is that the subtitles are only sporadically displayed, with missing sequences so that it's hard to follow the dialogue.

Oops!
    My CBBC HD recording from earlier is playing without any subtitle gaps on an HDR-FOX T2.

What are you thinking of going for instead of an HDR-2000T?

| Wed 18 Dec 2013 19:48:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.