My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

"tapeing" sky, thru skybox to Humax

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikal83

I am off to southern spain where , as we all know, sky has given us the finger. So I want to tape as many progs to watch down there. SO, my ? is, can I record progs from sky thro my skybox onto my humax? Anyone done it???????????

| Fri 21 Nov 2014 18:57:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's practically impossible. The only output you can record from a Sky box is one of the analogue outputs (eg scart). To record this onto a hard disk it has to be converted into digital data.

There are a number of ways to do this, eg you can use a cheap usb DVD maker that will record digital files directly to a PC usb port (don't expect fantastic quality).

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=video+capture+device+usb&tag=blusas008-21&index=aps&hvadid=29171381893&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3833293025551231067&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3h113nd4fs_b

Note some Sky recordings may have copy spoiling protection like macrovision. Most likely premium content especially HD content)

Many cheap media players (about £20.00) will play back these to a TV using a mass storage USB device (generally a USB hard drive).

Only other chance you have is to extract the recordings in a format you can use on other kit direct from the Sky Box HDD (Not a clue if this is possible).

The device that does this is a DAC (Digital Analogue Converter). Humax pvrs in common with all proper pvrs do not have a DAC.

They don't need one as the output from the built in tuners is digital and therefore recordable as is in 100% original quality direct to a hard disk.

Apart from venerable VCR's (and PC's with analogue inputs), the only class of device that has analogue inputs are DVD Recorders. Because these are capable of different recording standards (less than 100%), then they have a DAC allowing different quality outputs. The lower the quality the more digital video you can store in the same space.

Some Humax pvr's though can export recordings over usb so you can watch them later on a wide range of devices.

Depending on your particular box you may be able to save content to tide you over your holidays.

Post which pvr you actually have for further advice.

Aternatively for fta content connect a fta pvr ready satellite box to your dish. These will record directly to a Hard Disk you can play back anywhere.

| Fri 21 Nov 2014 19:18:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikal83

Thnx Graham.
    After reading all that, as the Gumbys said, "my brain hurts".

mike

| Sat 22 Nov 2014 14:10:40 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.