My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

The 9200 --:-- clock problem.

(56 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bladevane

Biggles- hats off to you. Researched this fault yesterday evening after being a bit baffled by the --.-- appearing on standby. Watched PCRowan's excellent video and got stuck in this morning. I used Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) as it is 99+% pure. There were 2 what looked like scorch marks on the back of the PCB under the crystal/capacitor area which cleaned off easily. All back together and working perfectly. Thank you.

| Fri 30 May 2014 10:25:46 #41 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Bladevane - 11 hours ago  » 
    Biggles- hats off to you. Researched this fault yesterday evening after being a bit baffled by the --.-- appearing on standby. Watched PCRowan's excellent video and got stuck in this morning. I used Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) as it is 99+% pure. There were 2 what looked like scorch marks on the back of the PCB under the crystal/capacitor area which cleaned off easily. All back together and working perfectly. Thank you.

Glad that my efforts are still proving useful. Coincidentally a secretary at work had the clock problem last week but then it started working again, she thinks it's fixed, but it isn't. Are you sure they were scorch marks and not felt tip pen as I have seen, I'd worry if they were scorch marks.

For anyone doing the repair I would now advise using ordinary household meths as the cleaning agent available from B&Q and the like as it seems that surgical spirit can contain other stuff depending on where you buy it from. IPA, as you have used, is also going to do the job perfectly well. I will update the instructions one of these days.

| Fri 30 May 2014 22:01:43 #42 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

I've just returned from holiday to find my 9200 clock has died, I suppose it had to happen sometime.

| Sat 12 Jul 2014 22:57:21 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SteveU

I had this problem too and followed the advice along with the you tube video which was very useful. I used a steret(medical antiseptic wipe) - the ones they wipe your arm with before they jab you!
    They are soaked in isopropyl alcohol and if you ask the pharmacist they will either give you one or sell you a few they are a couple of pence each.
    The bonus is that cut into strips they work really well getting into the small places and are absorbent so soak up the nasty.

| Tue 11 Nov 2014 17:50:16 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

stuart12a

It worked! I have to admit that I didn't feel confident about doing the job myself so I asked a friendly PC engineer (russel@desktopdirect.co). For the cost of a couple of cotton buds and a dab of surgical spirit (plus a pint for Russel) I've saved myself having to buy a new PVR. Be patient, the clock didn't reset itself straightaway so I thought the fix hadn't worked but next time I went back into the room, the clock was displaying as it should. Thanks Biggles!

| Wed 24 Dec 2014 14:40:55 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

woodface7

Anyone know if there is a similar issue with the 9150? Despite the lack of a clock! I assume it still has an RTC circuit? It's just that some symptoms resemble those in a newly acquired 9150 that generally seems perfect. Full epg, responsive, you can record live programmes and play back, buffer etc.

But when you try timer record (from standby or while on) the prog will not record, and the record schedule is wiped. When trying from standby, it lights up, outputs audio and responds to the remote. No video till power is cycled though.

I tried another AV drive, same result. No visible power supply ageing (bulging or leaky capacitors). No signal or multiple transmitter issues. Drives formatted and defaults selected.

I know these boxes are even older than this thread, but I love them as radio recorders. I still haven't found a current box that equals their versatility and usability for audio.

| Wed 20 Jul 2016 23:19:31 #46 |
  7. andyfras

andyfras

It will definitely have an RTC circuit, so there's every chance that it's prone to the same problem.

Note that the capacitors used in the PSU will probably show no physical signs of failure.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 8:06:21 #47 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

woodface7 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Anyone know if there is a similar issue with the 9150? Despite the lack of a clock! I assume it still has an RTC circuit? It's just that some symptoms resemble those in a newly acquired 9150 that generally seems perfect. Full epg, responsive, you can record live programmes and play back, buffer etc.

But when you try timer record (from standby or while on) the prog will not record, and the record schedule is wiped. When trying from standby, it lights up, outputs audio and responds to the remote. No video till power is cycled though.

In the 9200 the RTC is updated from the broadcast channel when the machine is ON so I expect the 9150 to be the same although the RTC circuit may be different. The fact that your 9150 doesn't do a timer record when ON suggests the problem lies elsewhere. You say the record schedule is wiped, this is a known problem of recent years with the 9300 and probably the 9150. Are other settings in the machine set back to defaults, 9300 owners have reported the machines appear to have had a Default Setting.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 10:34:50 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

woodface7 - 11 hours ago  » 

Could you clarify "When trying from standby"; what is being tried?

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 11:15:44 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

woodface7

Trying to achieve a timer recording.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 20:35:23 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.