My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Tp link router compatibility issue

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bilabong

Hi,
    I have spent ages trying to get my new router to connect the foxsat HDR to the Internet to watch iplayer. My old bt router works fine using dhcp. The new one (tp link w8970) will not allow it to see the net regardless of how the box or router are configured.

I have it connected using an rj45 cable and using either a manually configured ip or dhcp it just won't connect. Dhcp assigns an ip with correct subnet and DNS settings, but it can't connect.

Has anyone got any advice as both tp link and humax have been helpful on the phone, but neither have a solution that works

Thanks

Bilabong

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 16:48:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Bilabong,

Do you have the custom firmware installed ? If so that will allow you to do some tests from the HDR itself, otherwise it's a bit tricky and I guess you will have done the basics.

Can you ping the HDR's IP address from another machine on your LAN, e.g. from your PC?

Dino

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 20:21:39 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Only try using DSCP which the router will expect, set it and reboot.

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 20:39:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,
    the fact that the box is getting ip, subnet and dns shows that it's connecting to the router okay.
    The question is then what's happening next. custom firmware as dino suggested would help a great deal in diagnosing.
    In the meantime there are a load of questions,
    Does you old BT router still work okay, have you changed anything recently, have you swapped ISP, are you in the UK, does your other equipment pc's laptop's etc connect via the tp router okay, is it plugged into a lan port and not the lan/wan, have you tried a different lan port...
    As you can see there are a load of possibilities and we're only just scratching the surface
    I think the most important question for me would be can you take the rj45 cable out of the foxsat, plug it into a pc/laptop (without wifi) and get iplayer on the pc/laptop?

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 21:37:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bilabong

Hi,

Thanks for the replies as this is A really frustrating problem.

I don't have any ncustom firmware installed on my box.

My old bt router works fine with the humax, I just plug it in and dhcp takes care of it and it connects.

The only new thing is the router, although everything else on the network like my pc, blackberry, iPhone, iPad and laptop connect fine to the tp link. The humax doesn't for some strange reason. Well in fact it does connect in terms of getting its ip and other settings, but after that it does nothing...

I'm in the uk, on talk talk and haven't changed anything other than the router. It's plugged in correctly :-).

Is there a specific setting in the latest tp link routers that needs enabled or disabled. There's loads of pages of settings, whereas the bt was quite simple.

Bila

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 21:48:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,

is your pc/laptop connected via rj45 cable?

If so can you unplug the rj45 cable from the foxsat and try it in the pc/laptop - if this works using the same cable then the problem lies most likely with the foxsat and if so have you power cycled it (physically switched it off for 10 - 20 secs) after setting dhcp

I know you've confirmed it's plugged in correctly, however can you confirm it's plugged into one of the 3 lan ports and not the wan/lan port

and yes, there will be configuration pages to block/forward allow/disallow etc; however if it works on a pc/laptop using the same cable as plugged into the foxsat and you've not added MAC addresses or tweaked anything special to get it to work with a pc/laptop on rj45 cable then there's no reason why it shouldn't work with the foxsat

These things, as you say, can be really frustrating and sometimes, so long as you've got your login/password for adsl, it's easier to factory reset router, foxsat and power cycle both and patience is required. I'm sure it's a configuration problem

| Thu 25 Apr 2013 22:34:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bilabong

Hi again,

Thanks for the support and I can confirm that using the same cable the pc connects no problem.

I have factory reset the router and foxsat. Power cycled it after getting an ip and it's definitely connected through the LAN port.

In the router log you can see the router sending an ack request to the foxsat then after that there is no further communication.

Here's a copy of the log
    2013-04-04 16:10:39 [5] DHCPD: Recv DISCOVER from 00:03:78:BB:4C:6A 
    2013-04-04 16:10:39 [5] DHCPD: Send OFFER with ip 192.168.1.2 
    2013-04-04 16:10:39 [5] DHCPD: Recv REQUEST from 00:03:78:BB:4C:6A 
    2013-04-04 16:10:40 [5] DHCPD: Send ACK to 192.168.1.2

I have not tinkered at all with port forwarding or anything of that like.

In the client table on the router you can see the foxsat, but it seems that it just cant connect to the net

Bila

| Fri 26 Apr 2013 5:59:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Can you ping the HDR's IP address from another machine on your LAN, e.g. from your PC?

Dino

| Fri 26 Apr 2013 6:16:50 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bilabong

Will try this shortly. It's funny I never even thought of that

Cheers

Bila

| Fri 26 Apr 2013 6:44:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Also,

what's the ip, subnet and dns that gets assigned to the foxsat and same again ip, subnet and gateway when connected to the pc (ipconfig in cmd/dos window)
    I'm assuming ipV4 is ticked and not ipV6 amongst all the config pages (I'd assume this would be default anyway after a reset). There's also a firmware update for the router 15/4/2013:
    http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/TD-W8970_V1_130415.zip
    Also check if there's an option to change the gigabit setting on the lan port to 10/100

| Fri 26 Apr 2013 7:30:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.