My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Transferring recordings to USB without OPT+ button

(19 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

thedamester - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies - I am even more confused now! This is taken from the product description on the John Lewis site:
    The Humax HB-1000S receiver will unlock a world of online and satellite entertainment. Enjoy hundreds of channels, many in stunning HD, as well as on-demand services like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player. The HB-1000S also has a clever roll back TV guide, so tracking down missed programmes is as easy as checking what’s on next. It’ll also pause and rewind live TV when you attach an external hard drive (available separately).
    Pause, record, rewind
    Recording your programmes is as simple as connecting an external hard drive. This also allows rewinding and pausing of live action.

I have one of the Humax Freeview boxes which you mentioned and yes, I can export your recordings-I have had this model for some years and assumed, incorrectly that the newer Freesat one which have have just purchased would do the same! I find the info which Humax provide both on their website and manuals to be incomplete and misleading in this respect!

Some confusion. I thought you had a HDR1010S twin tuner Freesat+ Freetime box, not an HB1000S. The description is correct for the single tuner pvr ready HB1000S box (Box is freetime but not Freesat+).

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 15:58:54 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedamester

Hi Graham, sorry if I confused you!

Just to confirm, yes, I own the HDR1010S twin tuner Freesat+ Freetime box and sought advice about exporting recorded media as I have been used to doing with my older Freeview Humax box. Humax suggested the HB1000S as an alternative as I could record to an external drive as this is what the box is designed to do, they tell me, and this is borne out by the description of the HB1000S features as quoted on the John Lewis site. Humax told me that this might suit me better as I could then take the external drive away with me and plug into a laptop and watch the contents. I was doubtful about this myself as I am not sure that the format would be compatible. In my case this would not be a problem as I would not want to take the external drive away, just extract particular programs from it by temporarily attaching it to my PC where I could convert them to a more compatible format for viewing on my chosen device.

Later I checked back with John Lewis as they had told me they would refund the cost of my HDR1010S under their Happy Customer policy and then I could purchase the HB1000S. However as the HB1000S does not have twin tuners, I would not want it as my primary recorder. I then asked the John Lewis assistant what was meant when the description of the HDR1010S which said "There are also two USB ports for media sharing and expansion." The assistant suggested that "expansion" meant it could be used to record to and that it might be possibly to detach the external drive and use it as described above to extract media! It is this which I am sceptical about as if this was possible, Humax would surely have told me!

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 16:57:50 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Humax suggested the HB1000S as an alternative as I could record to an external drive as this is what the box is designed to do, they tell me, and this is borne out by the description of the HB1000S features as quoted on the John Lewis site. Humax told me that this might suit me better as I could then take the external drive away with me and plug into a laptop and watch the contents.

News to me, if true.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 17:02:34 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

thedamester - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham, sorry if I confused you!
    Just to confirm, yes, I own the HDR1010S twin tuner Freesat+ Freetime box and sought advice about exporting recorded media as I have been used to doing with my older Freeview Humax box. Humax suggested the HB1000S as an alternative as I could record to an external drive as this is what the box is designed to do, they tell me, and this is borne out by the description of the HB1000S features as quoted on the John Lewis site. Humax told me that this might suit me better as I could then take the external drive away with me and plug into a laptop and watch the contents. I was doubtful about this myself as I am not sure that the format would be compatible. In my case this would not be a problem as I would not want to take the external drive away, just extract particular programs from it by temporarily attaching it to my PC where I could convert them to a more compatible format for viewing on my chosen device.
    Later I checked back with John Lewis as they had told me they would refund the cost of my HDR1010S under their Happy Customer policy and then I could purchase the HB1000S. However as the HB1000S does not have twin tuners, I would not want it as my primary recorder. I then asked the John Lewis assistant what was meant when the description of the HDR1010S which said "There are also two USB ports for media sharing and expansion." The assistant suggested that "expansion" meant it could be used to record to and that it might be possibly to detach the external drive and use it as described above to extract media! It is this which I am sceptical about as if this was possible, Humax would surely have told me!

You can't play back the recordings on anything else, despite the hard disk being usb connected. My TV has twin freeview and freesat (freetime), but you can't connect the usb drive to anything else.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 17:52:13 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 55 minutes ago  » 

Humax suggested the HB1000S as an alternative as I could record to an external drive as this is what the box is designed to do, they tell me, and this is borne out by the description of the HB1000S features as quoted on the John Lewis site. Humax told me that this might suit me better as I could then take the external drive away with me and plug into a laptop and watch the contents.

News to me, if true.

The HB-1000S User Guide says:

If you choose to record you will need to dedicate a USB Hard Drive for this. Therefore once the hard drive is formatted and paired to your box it won’t be able to play recorded content on other freesat boxes or be used on computers. If you choose to reformat or unpair the USB Hard Drive from your box all your recordings will be wiped.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/data/product/1379903744/HB-1000S_Manual.pdf

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 18:00:57 #15 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

For those interested - the partition its self is not encrypted - (unlike the HDR-10x0s units), however the file I think is I think, the media is on a .hts file and is unplayable by WMP (it hangs), or VLC player (which loads the file but cannot get any media properties at all from it and just sits there).

I have no idea if it would even play on another HB-1000S - I doubt it.

It is a freetime unit so freesat would have specified the same restrictions as other freetime units.

I have never tried doing this before simply because I expected it to be fruitless, as the manual implies.

| Mon 9 Feb 2015 18:01:00 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedamester

Hmm, so much for Humax support then! Good job I have decided against the HB-1000S then!I am still intrigued by the "expansion" provided by attaching an external drive to the HDR 1010S though. As expected, I get more advice from a group like this than the manufacturer and the reseller

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 10:30:37 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Speaking for myself, I've found Humax Support much better than most others. With all support centres, I do think it often pays to start an enquiry via email, so that with a bit of luck it may get routed to a knowledgeable person for response.

Retailers are a different kettle of fish - Richer Sounds partially excepted.

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 11:20:20 #18 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

thedamester - 6 hours ago  » 
    ..... I am still intrigued by the "expansion" provided by attaching an external drive to the HDR 1010S though. As expected, I get more advice from a group like this than the manufacturer and the reseller

You can play other media from whatever is attached on a USB port. (Most formats accepted, especially MPEG based).

| Tue 10 Feb 2015 17:20:29 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.