My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Trying to reset my box myself

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

carol sheridan

I live at about 3,300 feet up in the Alps. We had a very violent blizzard a couple of nights ago and I lost all my signals as my dish was covered in snow/ice. It is on the roof of my four-storey block of flats - I live on the second floor. After a day, when the sun came out, I got back all ITV channels but not BBC 1 or 2 (except for some very broken bits on BBC1 which were impossible to watch.)

I asked for advice on an expat forum and was told that the high wind might have moved my dish, but I could try resetting my box myself. I followed the advice - go to Menu, clock on the satellite dish, then I tried Search but it tried for ages and never got past 80% strength and 50% quality. I then tried to use Factory Refit (I can't remember the exact words) and that also tried but it would not accept the UK post code I used when I first got the box. Now, it just keeps going round and round, 1,2, 3, and I can't get out of it. On the front of the box, it says WIZARD.
    I am a 72 year old woman, living alone, and, as you can tell, totally non technical. I don't mind paying a local fitter to come and fix it, but I just wondered if anyone can tell me how to get at least my ITV channels back!
    Thank you.
    Carol

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 9:24:05 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum. In the long term you are going to need some one to look at the dish. Until then you may be able to get more channels by using the box as an ordinary satellite box. You won't get the fancy epg or be able to make timed recordings though.

Here's how.

Press the Menu button
    Move To Setup and click OK
    Go down to manual tune and press right
    Go down to till the blue search button is enabled and click OK
    It will take a while but you should finish up after saving the search wih lots of channels with channel numbers in the 5000's.

Use the list button to select any one you want to watch.

After your dish is fixed a factory reset will return everything to normal.

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 10:46:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

carol sheridan

Thank you for your reply, Graham. I have found a satellite man in the next village but he cannot even give me a date for a visit until next Monday. At the moment, the box seems to be locked on WIZARD and it does not respond to anything on Humax remote. On the TV remote, I found Auto Tune but it said no programmes were found. I have found unplugging and replugging, taking out batteries, etc. I can't get away from the page which says User Settings, except to go to the next page which is Freesat Detection. That starts searching but just goes on and on.
    I think the high wind might have displaced the dish. I guess I will just have to watch my favourite programmes on my iportal function on line until next week!

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 13:28:25 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

carol sheridan - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for your reply, Graham. I have found a satellite man in the next village but he cannot even give me a date for a visit until next Monday. At the moment, the box seems to be locked on WIZARD and it does not respond to anything on Humax remote. On the TV remote, I found Auto Tune but it said no programmes were found. I have found unplugging and replugging, taking out batteries, etc. I can't get away from the page which says User Settings, except to go to the next page which is Freesat Detection. That starts searching but just goes on and on.
    I think the high wind might have displaced the dish. I guess I will just have to watch my favourite programmes on my iportal function on line until next week!

Doesn't pressing exit on the remote bypass the freesat setup options and allow to get access to the box menu ? The box won't let you get beyond the freesat setup because you can't get the freesat home transponder.

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 13:41:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

carol sheridan

Sorry to take so long replying - I have been out having my car serviced (more expense!) No, nothing works, it is completely frozen.

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 19:41:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

If the box has been on for days and won't respond to anything it never will, so now's the time to cut the power and start again.

I'd recommend pulling the plug, giving it a minute, plugging it back in, doing a factory reset (will keep all your programs on the hard drive) then doing an automatic tune first then a manual one.

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 20:48:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

carol sheridan

Thank you.

| Wed 31 Oct 2012 21:08:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanacarol

I have managed to get as far as Factory Reset but it is still just going round and round searching for a signal. I don't understand why it says my post code is invalid - I have never changed it since I had the box installed two years ago. I don't know why Humax need a post code anyway.
    I have got an engineer coming to see it next week, but he will be French as I live in France and I don't look forward to trying to explain/understand technical terms in French!

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 18:00:52 #8 |
  9. Admin

Admin

administrator

Carol any reason why you have registered another account with different username?

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 18:05:07 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nanacarol - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I have managed to get as far as Factory Reset but it is still just going round and round searching for a signal. I don't understand why it says my post code is invalid - I have never changed it since I had the box installed two years ago. I don't know why Humax need a post code anyway.
    I have got an engineer coming to see it next week, but he will be French as I live in France and I don't look forward to trying to explain/understand technical terms in French!

The post code is required to allocate regional channels to 101 102 103 etc. Failure at this point is usually a dish alignment issue (The freesat home transponder is at 28.5E).

Exit from the freesat setup routines and choose manual tune, select transponder (rather than all) 11427 (11428) H and post signal strength and quality). If this is poor show the sat guy this and he should be able to slightly re-align the dish. If he has other customers with Freesat kit he will probably be au-fait with the problem anyway.

| Thu 1 Nov 2012 18:10:58 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.