My Humax Forum » Forum Site » Site Issues / Problems

Unable to edit posts.

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

There seems to be a problem inasmuch that you cannot edit any of your earlier posts.
    Edits are only enabled on the last post in the thread (if you are the one that's writing it of course).

| Sun 27 Feb 2011 15:02:05 #1 |
  2. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

That seems sensible to me. If you make a post then someone replies to it, you could edit your post out of context making subsequent posts appear OT, for example.

| Sun 27 Feb 2011 15:05:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

AVForums allows edits, Hummy.org.uk allows edits, hummy.tv allows edits. I haven't seen any abuse of this option in any of these forums. What it does do, is allow you to correct typos and errors, add information, update download links, or temporarily remove them while updating software, etc. etc.

| Sun 27 Feb 2011 16:05:50 #3 |
  4. super-admin

super-admin

senior admin

We are proud to be different from the other forums

Seriously, this is the default forum behaviour, and we have not thought about such 'edits' yet. I could look into it.

Although, Fenderbender has a point, and the fact that on MyHumax.Org we have (or will) have blogging and wiki'ing facilities, there's really no need to make long posts which might need retrospective editing... (What is recommended is to make blog or wiki entries, and make forum posts referencing them.)

If edits is needed for correcting typos or mistakes, then I could also look into enabling edits for a limited amount of time after making a post...

| Sun 27 Feb 2011 16:42:08 #4 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

I think there is a need to be able to edit at least the first post in a thread, which may need to be corrected, rather than someone having to scroll down to find that the information in the first post is wrong.

That's the normal behaviour on forums such as XDA-developers where updates and corrections are necessary, but also includes changes and corrections in the post. That could include links to wiki or updated blog posts.

| Sun 27 Feb 2011 18:07:56 #5 |
  6. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

So do we go with the flow and allow full access so that users can edit all their posts (if thats possible with bbPress), or do we restrict access as it is now so that historical edits can only be performed by request to the Mods/Admin?

Personally, I like the idea of restricting the edit, because so many times I've seen text in quoted posts that doesnt appear in the original post - especially if theres an argument going on .

| Mon 28 Feb 2011 11:13:03 #6 |
  7. super-admin

super-admin

senior admin

Yes, lets keep it as is and PM admins for edits.

BTW, the forums are live! (So link all you want!)

| Mon 28 Feb 2011 11:22:22 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Dropped a link on DS on the reserved hdr-fox t2 thread. Made no comment so interesting to see if anyone spots the unusual url

| Tue 1 Mar 2011 18:49:11 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.